Author Topic: pro's and cons  (Read 10727 times)

Offline sockjohn

Re: pro's and cons
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
     Not only do you lose visual line-of-sight the closer you sit to the front wheels, you also lose the seat-of-the-pants feel because you are closer to the pivot point as the back starts to come around.  Found that out one of the first times I drove a van on snow, almost sideways before I felt a thing...............

There seems to be at least some indication that in the small engine classes, a front engine front wheel drive streamliner or lakester may have some advantages.  It would help with CG ahead of CP, and keep the weight over the driving wheels (I'm assuming the engine weighs more than the driver).

Of course with the disadvantages mentioned previously.

I'm not a car guy, so kind of speculating. Thoughts?

Offline tortoise

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »
There seems to be at least some indication that in the small engine classes, a front engine front wheel drive streamliner or lakester may have some advantages.  It would help with CG ahead of CP, and keep the weight over the driving wheels (I'm assuming the engine weighs more than the driver).

Of course with the disadvantages mentioned previously.

I'm not a car guy, so kind of speculating. Thoughts?
For a streamliner, front wheel drive poses difficulty in getting the extreme narrow track desired. Chain drive might help. Zero scrub radius steering is a must. Engine ahead of wheels is not out of the question, if it's small.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
     Not only do you lose visual line-of-sight the closer you sit to the front wheels, you also lose the seat-of-the-pants feel because you are closer to the pivot point as the back starts to come around.  Found that out one of the first times I drove a van on snow, almost sideways before I felt a thing...............

The "seat of the pants" thing is ok up to a point. When you are moving over 440 feet a second you have no time to make any corrections (ask Seth Hammond). So if the only reason you are putting the driver in the rear is for feel you might rethink it.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »
Nolan White  had an all wheel drive with an input shaft that was based in a sprint car rear end and narrower than the BBC, wheels and all. 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:32:30 PM »
Nolan White  had an all wheel drive with an input shaft that was based in a sprint car rear end and narrower than the BBC, wheels and all. 

I thought all wheel drive is no longer allowed(?)  So this may make FWD a good option for small streamliners.

I was kind of thinking about the bike engined streamliners, the chain drive would be relatively easy to work into some seriously shortened half shafts. 
Suspension helps with steering and traction (and keeping the fillings in your teeth) so if the front is doing both, could you dispense with the rear suspension and narrow up the backend even more?  The rough sketches in my head are starting to resemble an airfoil...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 08:56:24 PM »

I thought all wheel drive is no longer allowed(?)  So this may make FWD a good option for small streamliners.

In every class but special construction or production if it came that way.
see '06 rulebook pg. 20 -2P
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »
On a FWD car liner the rear wheels may be placed one behind the other, fully suspended, and really narrow.
That is how Feuling's car was built. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »
......... the chain drive would be relatively easy to work into some seriously shortened half shafts............

The half shafts here are long, but I wanted them that way  :wink:,

Sum

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:09 PM »
On a FWD car liner the rear wheels may be placed one behind the other, fully suspended, and really narrow.
That is how Feuling's car was built. :wink:

Jogged my memory, one other car as well:
Summers Brothers' streamliner ("Pollywog") - Bonneville 1963

My understanding is that the Pollywog car had some scary handling at speed, but you never now with third hand information.  Any idea how it really handled?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Joseph_Feuling

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 10:48:53 PM »
Sumner, good thinking putting the disc brake out of the breeze.   :-)

With 142 days on the front page countdown, you gonna make it this year?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 11:18:51 PM »
I knew Fueling from before HS.
The Wikipedia stuff is pretty close.
I don't know much about the Polywog.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:29:13 AM by JackD »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 11:56:47 PM »
Sumner, good thinking putting the disc brake out of the breeze.   :-)

With 142 days on the front page countdown, you gonna make it this year?

Oh yes I'll be there for sure....................... with Hooley :evil:.  The lakester will be at home  :cry:.  I'll keep trying for WOS or World Finals, but I'm not going to kill myself.  I enjoy the build and have a long ways to go.  Hopefully I'll be working on it a lot more in a week or so when I get the sbc into the ford project finished.

c ya,

Sum

Offline tortoise

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 02:11:03 PM »
My understanding is that the Pollywog car had some scary handling at speed, but you never now with third hand information.  Any idea how it really handled?
I have only hearsay concerning its handling, but do have photographic evidence that the steering axis extended to the ground well inboard of the wheel centerline, which would generate large steering torques when there was any inequality of traction between the driving wheels. By God it was a beautiful design, though, overall.   

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
The Polywog is now owned by Tim Rochlitzler (sp) and is presently being restored and up graded. I am sure he has talked with Bill Summers regarding the steer right to go left problems of the past. Much more info available today regarding front wheel drive.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:23 PM »
Tim is making major changes in that car. I'll see it in a couple of weeks and fill in this report.
It was in the jig when I was down there for the Gas Up at the end of September.
FREUD
Since '63