Author Topic: streamliner designs  (Read 40449 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: streamliner designs
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:59 PM »
Don Di Bring would be surprised to hear all that. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2007, 03:46:56 PM »
Don Di Bring would be surprised to hear all that. :wink:
Alright, Don Debring used 1981 90 ci to go 269 mph. He also packed a interested design concept together.
Meanwhile Rick Yacoucci run 360 mph (final speed) with 93 ci - call it evolution.....

You can say that Don kicked the idea on - but if you say so, the grand father of all this streamliner was than the Autolite from Mickey Thompson.

What Howard brought in 1988 was the consequence from all the idea's putting in his streamliner.

The Hoffmann & Markley streamliner was copy of the Autolite - but also this package was not so tide as it's now used from the Costella NT 2 or the McBride & Moreau streamliner.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:44 PM »
The first of the narrow liners goes back to John Vesco.
It is being restored now for his grandson to drive. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »
The first of the narrow liners goes back to John Vesco.
It is being restored now for his grandson to drive. :wink:

Depends on what you call "narrow"........

Narrow is for me the questions, how much space is between the maximum necessary - most the engine or the driver - and the outside cross section - and by the Vesco liner was still enough space to get two piston more on both sides in.......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 05:28:04 PM »
Hey Speed Limit 1000, you have a picture of car 1976 from 1976? 
I think Ben Jordan's 1976 was Don Debring's idea car, although he told Ben he had ideas to improve it, he built his larger to accommodate the motor, trans and 3rd member.  Put the driver in the middle to add height  for the motor.  We borrowed that idea back from Don when we built the lakester.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Howard

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »
 I was NOT the first one with a narrow liner. Not trying to make that claim.  I don't spend much time on forums. Peace. Have your own heroes. I knew I could stir things up but I read all the chatter about motorcycle engined streamliners and not one mention of one of the most successful ones to date.
We raised a three year old record by 110 MPH so I thought it was worth pointing out.
I will go away now.
Howard

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 09:41:28 PM »
Let me see if I can stir things up a bit. I certainly don't have all the answers but Bryan Savage and I came out in 1988 with a small motorcycle engined streamliner with a stock Kawasaki Ninja 1000R engine with a turbo on it.
How soon you guys forget. My philosophy on the design was simple. Keep the frontal area minimal, punch a hole in the air once and then leave it alone. No swoopy wheel bumps or any of that high drag stuff.
We were the first 60 inch car in the two club and the first 60 inch car over 250 MPH and all on the event gasoline with a very mild powerplant.
Some famous person said " If you don't blow your own horn, someone will use it as a spitoon" Maybe it was Pliney the Elder or Ben Franklin.
I have been lurking and enjoy the messages. Good luck to you all and be safe.
Howard Nafzger

Yep, you stirred the pot a little, and make everyone think but you noticed no one disputed your firsts... You went about the same speed as Don with 30 fewer inches.  But don't go away, lurk, swoop and stir...  :roll:
Stainless

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:08 PM »
On this my thing is narrower than yours, what Jack D claims re the Vesco liner is accurate- considering the TIME. With contemporaries plus or minus some years the likes of So Cal, the Shadoff Special, Hill- Davis, Herbert's "Beast", Goldie Gardner, Athol Graham, Mickey's 4 engine, the MG driven by Hill and Moss, etc., seeing Vesco's compared to those others you would have to say-at least I did, "That sure is a narrow little sucker!"
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 10:05:49 PM »
I was NOT the first one with a narrow liner. Not trying to make that claim.  I don't spend much time on forums. Peace. Have your own heroes. I knew I could stir things up but I read all the chatter about motorcycle engined streamliners and not one mention of one of the most successful ones to date.
We raised a three year old record by 110 MPH so I thought it was worth pointing out.
I will go away now.
Howard

If Seldom Seen Slim corrects spelling and punctuation, who corrects word choice?

Second to last sentence should read "We shattered" not "We raised" don't you think?  :-D

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »

If Seldom Seen Slim corrects spelling and punctuation, who corrects word choice?

Second to last sentence should read "We shattered" not "We raised" don't you think?  :-D
[/quote]

I think that would be Jack D.
 :evil: :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2007, 05:45:07 AM »
Howard Im using the very same type of motor for my streamliner project ,though its not standard anymore  :-)
Im looking at Jonny Allens M/C liner and it looks very narrow to me and that was way back 56?
Question I,ve read that a length / width ratio of 6:1 is optimal for good aerodynamics can any one confirm this
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
You might want to size up a pursuit fish and see why they are faster than what they catch and eat.
Another proven design that is easy to copy for a car is a cruse missile.
Both have evolved into pretty efficient shapes.
You are going to be the big part so design and build the accommodations for you to survive first and that will dictate the starting point.
Allen's bike liner looks like a fish for  a reason.
It is not so revolutionary as it is evolutionary.

"Being first is good, being the best is better."  :wink:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »
You might want to size up a pursuit fish and see why they are faster than what they catch and eat.
Another proven design that is easy to copy for a car is a cruse missile.
Both have evolved into pretty efficient shapes.
You are going to be the big part so design and build the accommodations for you to survive first and that will dictate the starting point.
Allen's bike liner looks like a fish for  a reason.
It is not so revolutionary as it is evolutionary.

"Being first is good, being the best is better."  :wink:

And every square inch that you don't have in frontal area... CD=0.0
Going faster is simple, see what the fastest guys did and then improve on it...  :wink: I said it was simple, not easy  :roll:

Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
OK, don't ask me how my post ended up inside Jacks quote unless it was divine intervention...WWJD
Stainless

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »
Howard Im using the very same type of motor for my streamliner project ,though its not standard anymore  :-)
Im looking at Jonny Allens M/C liner and it looks very narrow to me and that was way back 56?
Question I,ve read that a length / width ratio of 6:1 is optimal for good aerodynamics can any one confirm this
Gary

If you're using an airfoil, it is related to the Reynolds number, not really the length/width ratio.  If you're not using an airfoil, better have some good software or time in a wind tunnel. 

Reynolds number ~ velocity x length   (where length in the airplane world is the chord length)

It is possible to make a relatively short vehicle low drag,there are several human powered vehicles that have done so.  Unfortunately most of them have been very short wheel base and had very bad high speed handling as a result.