Author Topic: streamliner designs  (Read 40318 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: streamliner designs
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 03:10:31 PM »
Did it take power away from the ability to just move forward ?
Tell me again how the surface was disturbed and not just the tracks that provided the limited directional stability. 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »
Supersonic pressure wave demonstration:
http://www.micom.net/oops/Some%20days%20you're%20good2.mpg
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 03:46:39 PM »
I seen dem boys from Hill and Nellis show us what fast really looks like during private time on the salt.
One a dem turk our piture when he went by wit da window on da bottom and sent it to me.
He was going a lot slower dat time.
The next day I got to meet him when he was running back from a 20 mile trip across the salt.
We found his gallon of drinking water at the 5 marker before we met him and thought we should leave it alone.

"Sometimes you eat the Bear and sometimes the Bear eats you."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »
I believe "rear" steer worked great for the fastest vehicle in the world and some of the slowest...Hysters/Forklifts....It's the spot in the middle that's tough.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 04:00:19 PM »
Imagine how many feet you would run over at the swap meet if your wagon steered in the rear.
There , I said it and now Fritz is gonna do it.
The trouble just never ends. :wink:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
Did it take power away from the ability to just move forward ?
Tell me again how the surface was disturbed and not just the tracks that provided the limited directional stability. 
The acceleration slows down to nearly zero..........................
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 05:44:12 PM »
The answer to a chain that is enclosed and getting too hot is............

I'm going to follow the lead of Mike and the Ack guys.  I think they have the answer......

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2007, 05:58:04 PM »
The answer to a chain that is enclosed and getting too hot is............

I'm going to follow the lead of Mike and the Ack guys.  I think they have the answer......

Sum
There ya go!

Offline Freud

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2007, 06:47:06 PM »
Jack, I remember when you told me that the LSR did not have to go in a straight line and you were going to tether your car and go around in a circle. To do the return run you planned to put the bridle on the other side and go around in the opposite direction

Have you found a big enough stake yet?
Does your centrafuge still squeak going CCW?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2007, 07:49:27 PM »
SPEED SECRET TO FOLLOW:
Half the fun of LSR is just telling Freud stuff.
Tether racing is a pretty big sport in LA .
I still have my Thimble Drome Prop Rod and the Roadster.
The cast roadster was built in 1948 and still in the box, having never been run.
My kid has a 4 stage D sized rocket powered car we built and it freights.
Lattin has a whole collection of those Nitro burners.
Arncha glad ya axed ? :wink:

Offline Howard

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 10:13:53 PM »
Let me see if I can stir things up a bit. I certainly don't have all the answers but Bryan Savage and I came out in 1988 with a small motorcycle engined streamliner with a stock Kawasaki Ninja 1000R engine with a turbo on it.
How soon you guys forget. My philosophy on the design was simple. Keep the frontal area minimal, punch a hole in the air once and then leave it alone. No swoopy wheel bumps or any of that high drag stuff.
We were the first 60 inch car in the two club and the first 60 inch car over 250 MPH and all on the event gasoline with a very mild powerplant.
Some famous person said " If you don't blow your own horn, someone will use it as a spitoon" Maybe it was Pliney the Elder or Ben Franklin.
I have been lurking and enjoy the messages. Good luck to you all and be safe.
Howard Nafzger

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 12:44:19 AM »
Good to see you here Howard, Hope your back is doing better. 

Oh and no.....   some of us never forget.   :wink:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 12:46:39 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »
Yep Howard, it's like deja vue all over again.  A lot of us remember when little motors were supposed to be slower than the big motors.  That's probably why we broke that rule and went faster than they thought we could.  Jim Burkdall and his dad's Bluebird with the 3/4 liter also really flew in the mid 80s.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 01:20:32 PM »
Howard, the best to you. I remember you and Bryan very well, real class, both of you. You have been the inspiration to alot of people. Hope to see you at the salt. I think you would enjoy the Salt Talks at the end of the road on Sunday, a good time with all the racers. Oh and thanks again for the clutch parts that helped us set our record, you will always be remembered.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 02:13:24 PM »
Let me see if I can stir things up a bit. I certainly don't have all the answers but Bryan Savage and I came out in 1988 with a small motorcycle engined streamliner with a stock Kawasaki Ninja 1000R engine with a turbo on it.
How soon you guys forget. My philosophy on the design was simple. Keep the frontal area minimal, punch a hole in the air once and then leave it alone. No swoopy wheel bumps or any of that high drag stuff.
We were the first 60 inch car in the two club and the first 60 inch car over 250 MPH and all on the event gasoline with a very mild powerplant.
Some famous person said " If you don't blow your own horn, someone will use it as a spitoon" Maybe it was Pliney the Elder or Ben Franklin.
I have been lurking and enjoy the messages. Good luck to you all and be safe.
Howard Nafzger
Hello Howard,

good to read a note from you. Yes, your streamliner was the first which was so "slimline". We done this concept at last to the extreme - the shape from the Kawasaki engine - plus 1/5 inch clearance - this is at last the outside cross section. And don't forget the shoe size on the front end of the car :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)