Author Topic: streamliner designs  (Read 40491 times)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: streamliner designs
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 12:28:58 AM »
Jack, I guess that is why they had Andy, a RAF pilot, guide the car. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 01:16:41 AM »
Two schools of thought here.
Costella & Yacoucci are the class of the field for G, H, and I. You couldn't go wrong just copying them.
On the other hand, I would guess you are building this for DLRA, not SCTA. All the records are wide open. Get your self a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine, save a bunch of money, and set a record. :-D

Ok, Ok.

No, not a giant camera man, it's that small. Lay flat on the ground and lift your head up just far enough to see. That's the idea. LSR Plans? Never have been, never will be. Stretch it out long to avoid stacking anything to get it as low as possible. Aero is the subject of many very long books.
Motorcycle engines are the horsepower choice here. You didn't mention if you were going blown or unblown, gas or fuel. Ain't no such thing as too much horsepower. If it's gas you need a high compression engine. If it's fuel you need lots of nitromethane. And a big budget. If it's blown you need a bigger budget. You are super rich, right?
Spend a couple of days looking at these:
http://www.yacoucci.com/gallery/Neb
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 02:18:34 AM »
Jack, I guess that is why they had Andy, a RAF pilot, guide the car. :-D
You got it !
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 04:11:30 AM »
Two schools of thought here.
Costella & Yacoucci are the class of the field for G, H, and I. You couldn't go wrong just copying them.
On the other hand, I would guess you are building this for DLRA, not SCTA. All the records are wide open. Get your self a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine, save a bunch of money, and set a record. :-D

Ok, Ok.

No, not a giant camera man, it's that small. Lay flat on the ground and lift your head up just far enough to see. That's the idea. LSR Plans? Never have been, never will be. Stretch it out long to avoid stacking anything to get it as low as possible. Aero is the subject of many very long books.
Motorcycle engines are the horsepower choice here. You didn't mention if you were going blown or unblown, gas or fuel. Ain't no such thing as too much horsepower. If it's gas you need a high compression engine. If it's fuel you need lots of nitromethane. And a big budget. If it's blown you need a bigger budget. You are super rich, right?
Spend a couple of days looking at these:
http://www.yacoucci.com/gallery/Neb

super rich  ROFLMAO , I have several engines that are capable of some reasonable HP and lots of other motorcycle bits and pieces that can be used for a stream liner , I can also make or do most things myself (jack of all trades master of none ) ,though the steering is a new experience, yes I will basically copy copy copy  anything that is a proven performer,but I do want to try out some of my own ideas as well , Thaks all for your comments
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 04:35:03 AM »
That picture included the "Prosthetic Trailer" that delighted so many. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Super rich?  All of Jacks liners have been built with very limited budgets.  It would be safe to say that some roadster engines cost more than what he spent on his liners. What makes him different from most, is his innovation, fabrication skills and his practical understanding of aerodynamics.  As jack would say ?I like to cheat the air?   

If you saw the new liner he is building, all this would seem very clear.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 11:17:02 AM »
Stainless, Also remember the fastest car in the world is rear steering. :roll:
The car you mention didn't do much steering with the rear wheels but they acted as a rudder as it flew along the ground.
Jack, if it was so easy :wink:they not need a driver like Andy Green.
Yes the car was pushed by two big jet engines, but the reality was, that Andy had a hard time to get the car straight, due to this that the two engines was parallel built into the frame....not the correct way, especially on ground.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
No, not a giant camera man, it's that small. Lay flat on the ground and lift your head up just far enough to see. That's the idea. [/quote]

This car looks very small, but if the racer I'm involved - the McBride & Moreau - than the Costella car is bigger than our streamliner...............no joke
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 11:27:35 AM »
My racer...just tide
Pork Pie

Offline pookie

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »
Hi Gary, Just a thought, why not contact Costella and see if he wants to partner in a car  in your "neck of the woods", This year he will have 4 streamliners, 1 lakester, and 1 Berkely, running all under his name and his partners. You would have a winning designed car and you could put your resources into engine development. Also," in the near future," there may be one of those streamliners available. You never know what future brings.. Just another resource you might want to check out.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »
The guy that traveled Super Sonic on the ground in the 50s (rocket sled in New Mexico) wants to know how much of the total power of the SSC vehicle was used to just keep it on the ground for 90% of the distance measured as in the rules?
How much contribution did the the operator make and was it more flying than driving ?
One of them lives just 2 doors away so I can just yell the answer.
While he has slowed down a lot these days, I will want that much head start. :wink:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 02:19:05 PM »
The guy that traveled Super Sonic on the ground in the 50s (rocket sled in New Mexico) wants to know how much of the total power of the SSC vehicle was used to just keep it on the ground for 90% of the distance measured as in the rules?
How much contribution did the the operator make and was it more flying than driving ?
One of them lives just 2 doors away so I can just yell the answer.
While he has slowed down a lot these days, I will want that much head start. :wink:
Jack,

you mean Stapp who went a little bit over 600 mph....which was 20 percent under the sound barrier.....

To your question....they need no power to keep the Thrust SSC on the ground, more, the 10 ton weight cause the problem that the car stuck with the rear wheels in the powder fine sand when the car went through the sound barrier - the sound wave smashed the mud so fine under the car that it changed to sand, like fine sugar......

Ps. the sled went later super sonic - but only with monkey's on (up to 900 mph) - the fastest the sled went was close to 2000 mph. Today they go much faster......
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:21:12 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 02:28:29 PM »
.............. Ain't no such thing as too much horsepower...........

Actually I think Rick has more HP than what he has run, but the transmission is becoming the weak link along with the links on the chain,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »
The answer to a chain that is enclosed and getting too hot is.....

The Shock Wave that occurs when a vehicle goes Super Sonic is equal on all sides.
How much power was used to disturb that much earth at those speeds?
Big boom on bottom makes the vehicle fly up big time if it is contained.
A lot like a bullet tends to go the direction away from the containment.
An aircraft will get additional lift as it nears the ground and stuff. :wink:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »
The answer to a chain that is enclosed and getting too hot is.....

The Shock Wave that occurs when a vehicle goes Super Sonic is equal on all sides.
How much power was used to disturb that much earth at those speeds?
Big boom on bottom makes the vehicle fly up big time if it is contained.
A lot like a bullet tends to go the direction away from the containment.
An aircraft will get additional lift as it nears the ground and stuff. :wink:

To push the Thrust SSC through the sand.......100 000 HP

Shattering the mud had a other reason......I know them.......but therefore you had to be at Black Rock during the attempt
Pork Pie