Author Topic: Hello and I have an electric water pump question  (Read 13518 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Re: Hello and I have an electric water pump question
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »
I was not implying that idea was something I was going to do; rather to the contrary, to me it was just an idea.....but....

A few made the suggestions that one could use a thermostatic control switch to prevent the pump from "dead heading".

That is exactly what I was saying to begin with..... with the exception that if you used a thermostatic switch you should NOT also need the mechanical thermostat in the motor. I suggested that you could use a variable thermostatic switch, and this would allow you to change the operating temp of the motor. If you used a set value thermostatic switch to run the pump, it would be the same as having a mechanical thermostat of that same temperature.

I would like to know if the BS that I am suggesting is correct......if you use a thermostatic switch to run the pump you do not need a mechanical thermostat in the motor.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 06:45:27 PM »
The mechanical thermostat that you depend on every day that will out last the family car is cheaper, more available , and reliable than just about anything you can put on a racer.
If your system demands an electric pump you can duplicate the symptom of a dead head by covering the outlet of your shop vacuum and listen to the motor unload as does the current required to drive it.
These are basics that you already know, are a good place to start, and it helps you to finish with all your stuff intact also.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2007, 09:30:45 PM »
It many not make any difference but you can check out this site for electric pumps. www.batinc.net Go to the Mocal systems. The have an electronic controller for their 12 volt water pump. I have never used anything but a restrictor in the return line to control the coolant water but I don't make the heat or HP of many. My only concern with a lot of the pumps is how munch pressure the seal will withstand. Good Luck...Great Thread
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »
One thing we found on some electric pumps they will stop if the water gets too hot. Not a good thing, so watch out for the plastic impellers in the "water puppy" type pump, only good for 212 or so on the water temp.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20