Author Topic: Seat Cross Member  (Read 6586 times)

dwarner

Re: Seat Cross Member
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 02:41:58 PM »
Kent,

You're correct that the thread was about the under seat cross member originally. Like many posts on many, many message boards the original thread is bastardized into something different losing any references to rely on.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
Yeah, but without a little humor, most of us old geezers would fall asleep before we reached the crux of the matter.  Ask old whatzisname.... :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 03:13:33 PM »
Read it again boys.
The original question included the use of a fibreglass seat that was said in the first words of an attempt to answer to not be allowed.
Further details from others removed that confusion and may result in a rule that is more universally understood.
Just because you get it doesn't mean everybody does.
Imagine the shock for those with existing fibreglass seat forms that could have been left hanging.
Your butt is every bit as important as your head.
Most of us know a guy that came out from the bottom of a Drag Car back in the day, got lucky, and lived.
It was good to have "old whatshisname" around, however I did make my girls sit on his less dangerous side.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:18:57 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 06:26:23 PM »
Jack, don't glorify yourself thinking I meant you as old whatzisname.  That moniker is reserved for all of us over sixty, and I am the damn president emeritus............. :mrgreen:
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 07:11:20 PM »
Jack, don't glorify yourself thinking I meant you as old whatzisname.  That moniker is reserved for all of us over sixty, and I am the damn president emeritus............. :mrgreen:
READ IT AGAIN
Gosh, I never said it was me did I ?
The one I was talking about used to be a cop and sat with Glen all the time. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »
I didn't know I had a dog in this fight :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »
Havin fun with this subject!

Jack D, was that the side away from his working eye, or the side away from  where he still had a leg?

Doubt if that yellow dragster had ANYTHING that we could recognize today as a seat. And then, Don Moody managed to pick up a time slip going thru the lights with seat ONLY at Lions back "in the days".

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
Havin fun with this subject!

Jack D, was that the side away from his working eye, or the side away from  where he still had a leg

You mean an arm doncha ?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 11:58:24 PM »

The question is about the tubing structure below the driver, not whether anyone thinks this seat is better than that seat or what might not be legal next year. Consider the seat like the hood of your car.... you can drive your car with out the hood... you should be able to drive your race car without the cosmetic seat! the cage should be tight around the driver and the safety harness designed so you ARE NOT relying on the seat for restraint. You should be able to set in the frame and harness and drive the vehicle without a seat. Last weekend Rick Vesco dropped off Don's bike liner the "Lightning bolt", Don Vesco raced and crashed this liner several times over 300mph.....That liner didn't have a seat.... never did..... and when we restore it....it never will.
Kent

Great advice Kent :-) ,

Sum