Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Bonneville General Chat

Old Motorcycle Records.

<< < (3/7) > >>

gazza414:
Scott Guthrie might be able to help out.

tomsmith:
The "Brute" Harley was normally ridden by Jim Hunter.  It was owned by Bud Hood and C B Clausen.  In unstreamlined form, it was the fastest fuel drag race motorcycle in 1952.  In 1958, they ran 172mph on Avenue 5 in Pomona with the Pomona Police acting as spotters and helping make it safe - the road was a narrow 2-lane asphalt road in the middle of orange groves.  In 1954, they put the Brute motor (about 165hp) in the Cooper streamliner after cutting suitable holes in the side of the body for the carbs to stick out  John Fox (the owner) wouldn't let them replace the Norton tranny, so they tried one run and John managed to get it going on almost one cylinder (it loaded up real bad, since I think he started off in 4th gear).  Back in the pits, they lifted the top off and we all gathered round to look.  I asked what the pieces of metal in the bottom of the pan were.  It turned out they were the remains of the transmission.  The engine shook several hundred rivets in the beautiful aluminum body loose.  I just wish I had taken some pictures.

tomsmith:
Scott Guthrie has the right idea on the old pushrod records.  Newbies might think it is fun to see how the new stuff stacks up to prehistoric bikes.  

By the way, what ever happened to Glenn Curtis's record - did anyone ever believe it?  After all he used a Zeppelin v8 motor, so he had plenty of cubic inches - what I admire most was the tires he had the guts to use.  His bike still exists

tomsmith:
According to the Nov, 1952 Cycle magazine (not necessarily the definitive source, but best I can do), here are the 2-way motorcycle records set in 1952:

61 cu in (1000cc) Marty Dickerson, Vincent, 142.72mph
40 cu in (650cc) Henry Bernal, Triumph, 144.338mph
30.50 cu in (500cc) Bud Hare, Triumph, 134.597mph
21 cu in (350cc) Lloyd Bulmer, Velocette KSS, 119.87mph
15 cu in (250cc) Delbert Branson, Indian, 80.62mph

Some one-way speeds were:
Marty Dickerson, 1000cc Vincent - 144.98
Tom Smith, 650cc Triumph - 147.78
Bobbie Kelton, Brute - Bud Hood, CB Clausen 95 cu in? Harley - 168.77
Jim Hunter, 80cu in Harley - 150.75
Mike Tucker, 45cu in Indian - 117.64

1212FBGS:
I ran into a guy by the name of Lou Fisher last weekend at the Vegas auction. He claims to have the Brute!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version