Author Topic: Modified vs Altered  (Read 10301 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Modified vs Altered
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:02:06 PM »
Slim,  the only problem I have with the modified -vs- altered rules is the fuel tank size.  When you are allowed to place a foreign object in your stock tank to only allow a lesser displacement of fuel thereby allowing you to run in altered, I feel that is very wrong.  If you want to run altered, you should actually have a tank that only holds the required amount.
in my case, I am in altered due to my wheelbase (74").

What is your thought on that allowance?

Guy
I'm not Slim(nor am I even remotely skinny, although I AM trying), but stuffing done where I come from was for making things larger... not smaller.
The 1.32g tank size rule is a "minimum for modified", not a "maximum for altered"(the aero advantage is on the modified bike, the altered bike should be allowed to carry a 50gal drum if he thinks he can haul it). When the records reflect the proposed ability of the machines and people quit trying to figure out how to get into altered(rather then trying not to get out of modified).. they'll realize that the rules(like the one referenced) are trying to keep from unfair advantages in modified.
If someone looks at something backwards long enough they eventually think it's supposed to be that way(when actually only the person that started or owns it knows it's just the negative looked at upside down for very few people's benefit).
I understand your frustration Guy, but trust it will all work out in time(or until someone turns the rulebook over to Jack anyway).
ECTA's young(at least we still have an excuse for a little while),
Todd

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2007, 08:29:04 AM »
Todd, prior to 2006, smaller than 5 liters was required for altered, and tank stuffing was dis-allowed in the rule book (SCTA).  When the rules all changed moving a lot of bikes to altered in 2006, the requirement went away.  Altered became "very modified"
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
Todd, prior to 2006, smaller than 5 liters was required for altered, and tank stuffing was dis-allowed in the rule book (SCTA).  When the rules all changed moving a lot of bikes to altered in 2006, the requirement went away.  Altered became "very modified"

Exactly Stainless... which made Modified become slightly production... leaving "Unlimited In Design" non exisitent.

Ecta broke loose a little bit, when they either took the lead or stood alone on a few of the rules just 4+ years ago with a very active, methodical and decisive motorcycle committee(with a considerable amount of that work directed at class distinction along with reasoning for the same). That is no longer the way it works, and we've(at times) had those higher up resort to follow the leader once again on the motorcycle rules(history repeating repeated history that is less then a decade old). This simply means people like Guy and myself and others have to wait for the sun to come out and melt our tongues off the flagpole like those we've followed(hey, we put it there right?).

I'm not bitching... I've been that route. I got involved, speak my thoughts, follow the present rules as written and help try to make differences where I think I can(being a newbie in this arena it's the best I know to do).

We've still have one of the most efficient, productive and safest(and oh yeah.. financially comfortable) venues of it's kind thanks to the current leadership and volunteers... you can't argue with success in progress(or can you?).
Todd

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2007, 09:54:13 AM »
I think Todd gets it.
The barely standing include the SCTA Bike Wizards that stumble to whatever drummer suites their fancy.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
God, this is getting tiresome for some of my four-wheeled friends (not me!).

Some suggested solutions . . .

1.  Run your bike for time only.

or . . .

2.  And I think JD came up with this years ago --  every bike is issued a number (done!) and their top speed is a record (for Bike 123-B, for instance).  Whenever you go faster -- you've got a new record!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:08 PM »
If you get tired of looking at bike rule stuff, go read roadsters or vintage and try to get something out of those rules....at least the bike rules are based on protecting someones friend and his soft record....did I write that down or just think it out loud???

yea, it should look familiar, it is the same answer to Stan Back's other identical post in another forum, it's all for fun anyway.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »
I think Stainless gets it too.
Are you guys a gang ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »
And I think JD came up with this years ago --  every bike is issued a number (done!) and their top speed is a record (for Bike 123-B, for instance).  Whenever you go faster -- you've got a new record!

clear................."look out/heads up"
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 01:21:06 AM »
Slim,

You're absolutely right.  The rulebook is the rulebook.  Maybe this could be on the short list of items to discuss at the next rules committee meeting.  Thanks for your input.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing