Author Topic: Pit Over Night Security  (Read 7542 times)

Offline DCarr511

Pit Over Night Security
« on: March 04, 2007, 01:58:20 PM »
I am planning on bringing my car and open trailer out to Maxton this year to get some baseline runs as the car is Bone Stock.

Is there any Over Night Security or someone patroling the pits during the night so it is safe to leave the car there over night ?

TIA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Pit Over Night Security
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 02:12:50 PM »
Duane:

I don't think there's "official" overnight security.  As far as I know, though, more than a few racers camp in the pits overnight -- the SNART group, for instance, as well as others.  Wait for someone else on this list to tell you how comfortable you should feel about leaving your vehicle "exposed" overnight, just in case they know more than do I.

That said, lots of folks leave their stuff out.  We lock our bikes in the trailer and lock the hitch, just in case -- knowing full well that locks keep out honest folks way better than they prevent the bad guys from access.  We've left the pit bike out many times, and other stuff, too.  We've never regretted doing so.

Hey, maybe you could try this -- some battery-operated lights pointing towards someone else's rig -- and a sign that says "Vandals -- take their stuff first!"

Nah, somebody'd get cranky at you if you tried that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:11:31 PM »
no issues here if someone steals they die. many critters will eat good that night!  :lol:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 07:59:09 PM »
Duane,

I have made it down for 6 meets total over 5 years time; 4 as a go-fer with 2 different car teams [1 with open trailer and 1 with enclosed], 2 as spectator only.  Felt safer leaving the car with open trailer at the track while we stayed overnight in town during the meets than when the whole rig was parked outside the motel window [various motels and neighborhoods] on the trips down and back.  Have not experienced or heard of any problems at the track yet.

Everyone admires and respects everyone else for their dedication and efforts in the pursuit of speed and a safe, fun weekend.  Hope it stays that way.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 10:45:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses, its what I hoped for and expected to hear. Its not the other racers that I have ever been concerned about. I'll be sending in my 50 $ to the ECTA this week and I'll go through the info I receive to get my other questions answered.

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 08:41:33 AM »
Sounds like this is your first trip to Maxton.  Mine was last year for the first meet, and I got TOTALLY hooked.  These are the nicest people you'll ever know.

As far as security - the track is in a VERY rural location, and down a small lane - it looks like they made a mistake and put the sign at the wrong location.  No one would wander in unless they meant to, so it's unlikely wandering teens or other "crooks of opportunity" would even see or be in the area.  As Slim said, a number of folks camp there, in everything from pup tents to luxurious motor homes, and I'm sure they would notice any vehicles that entered in the middle of the night, and they'd get involved.  If you were concerned, you might want to leave your stuff near the campers.

That said, I took my car and open trailer last year (October), and left it out while I went to the Pine Acres Lodge (sort of unofficial Race Headquarters).  Nothing was touched, even though I forgot to put the hitch lock in place.  And I was parked far from the campers.  Doubt you would have any problems, but, of course, there are no guarantees.

A note about the Pine Acres Lodge.  The rooms are large and quite clean and the prices are reasonable, but they have NO no-smoking rooms (but they were thinking of changing that).  I take a giant bottle of Febreze and go to the room first to squirt everything (drapes, beds, carpets, etc) and by the time I get back from racing and dinner, it's not too bad.  If you would like no-smoking, I suggest you request it when you call for reservations, and bring it up when you check out.  If they get enough feedback, maybe they'll make some rooms for us no-smokers.  If you're a smoker, you'll love the place!

Another FYI - all lodging and nearly all dining is in Laurinberg, about 10 miles or so from the track.  I went to all but one event last year, and have yet to see Maxton.  I may do a sight-seeing trip there just to say I've seen the city light (singular, I'm guessing).

See you at Maxton     Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:15:07 AM »
But will the Pine Acres Lodge let you park your bike in the room?  A little gas smell sure covers up that smoking odor.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
Good thought!  Being basically a car guy, I haven't tried it (the car won't fit in the room and remain raceable).  Would fuel work better?  Perhaps a squirt or two of N2O.

See you there - I'll probably be helping Al at the starting line or handing out time slips.  Look for the short, handsome, modest guy with the grey beard (we're mostly all gettin' that way!)

Dan

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 12:19:14 AM »
I made it to Maxton last September as a spectator. So this will be my first time there participating. I am looking forward to it even though it wont be anything special. But it will be nice to get some baseline runs and then return next fall with a mild 383 sbc in it to see how much it improves. BTW the car is an immaculate 1986 Monte Carlo SS. When I bought the car a year ago I was planning on putting a roll cage in it and trying to seriously compete with it. Now I hope to get it up to 135 MPH and then switch over to a 82 - 92 F Body since the are much more sleeker and can be found relativly cheap

Thanks again for the responses

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
Duane -
I'm guessing your Monte might do 135 on this trip.  My '88 'Stang w/5.8 ran 132 right out of the box, and it's a convert.  You'll need to make some lower speed license qualifying runs, but Keith will go over all that in the Rookie Orientation.  As I understand it, if the car is equipped with T-tops it will treated like a convert and will need a 6-point cage if you exceed, as I recall, 125.  I couldn't have run the 'Stang at all if not for my 6 point.  Might want to check the book just to be sure, if yours falls into that catagory.  I mention it because I've seen quite a few Monte SS's with T-tops, and I wouldn't want you to be disappointed.

Look forward to seeing you there.     Dan

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 10:16:31 PM »
Duane, I have left my bike trailer at the track for the last two seasons with no problems. I used to take it to the hotel with me but now I think it is safer parked at the track than in Laurinburg attached to my truck at the hotel.
ECTA 200 Club

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »
Dan ... Thanks for the info ... No T - Tops here so its my understanding that w/o a cage it is legal to 135 w/ a 5 MPH grace. This first trip is just to get used to the procedures and to also let my Son take a couple of passes.

Rick .. Thanks for the info. Yours along with what others have said have left me comfortable leaving it there over night.

equimania

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 11:50:02 PM »
Duane:

I don't think there's "official" overnight security.  As far as I know, though, more than a few racers camp in the pits overnight -- the SNART group, for instance, as well as others. 

Some of the SNART folks will be camping this time.  Not that we're such good watch-dogs, but usually anyone who
doesn't know us gives a wide berth when they hear the Banjo picking from the pit area.  Come to think of it, many
who do know us do the same. <G>

Manhattan Mark

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 09:01:40 AM »
There's a reason we give the Snartians a wide berth - unless they're cooking!  But seriously, looking forward to seeing y'all SOON!

Dan

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 01:02:30 PM »
I think your stuff will be far safer at the track than in a motel parking lot.  I have attended 4 meets and leave all my stuff there-motorcycle, tools, trailer, etc.

Usually there are lots of campers, and anyone driving around in the middle of the night is going to be "investigated" immediately.  I wouldn't want to be the person that that happened to!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S