Author Topic: WET DLRA EVENT  (Read 13657 times)

Offline John Nimphius

Re: WET DLRA EVENT
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »
It?s strange, I?m not involved at all but I feel this overwhelming sadness reading the posts above.  It?s a sharp contrast to the excitement I felt reading everyone?s plans and preparations for the event.  Best wishes to all who have been so disappointed.  However, I sense while disappointed you are not discouraged.

John 

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
I?m not involved at all but I feel this overwhelming sadness reading the posts above
The best description I guess is losing a grand final in the closing minutes. What could have been, but there is always next year.

Another apt description from the DLRA forum is that it feels as though Christmas got cancelled on Christmas Eve. There are a lot of disappointed racers in Australia at the moment...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2007, 03:53:07 AM »
Imagine the grief that will be expressed by the "Salt Flats Widows" that have already departed on their adventure only to return and find hubby already home and not in a good mood. :oops:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Freud

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 04:12:45 PM »
Is there any chance that we can have a "Down Under" guest banquet at Wendover this year? From the money saved by the rainout, maybe you can find airfare and come visit us this year.
Just let us know early enough so we can arrange a proper celebration.
Jon Amo has the funnel and hose for the beer guzzling contest at the "bend in the road" site.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2007, 04:29:11 PM »
"Salt Talks"
This year dedicated to the "Drinking Laughing Racers of Australia"
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 04:37:36 PM »
The Ausie's will win the beer drinking contest hands down, they were weened on Fosters Ale.
 :-D :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 06:06:44 AM »
they were weened on Fosters Ale

Fosters is not consumed by most Aussies - it is exported for a reason.... :-D

stayt`ie

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 04:51:00 PM »
after 6233k,(3874 miles), and 73 hours in the drivers seat, i finally arrived home last night (tuesday), stuffed!!.. recieved the news that it was cancelled :-o 50k from the lake on saturday morning,, kept going, had a look and a walk on the salt, cool drink at the canteen, then back into the van and head for home, seeya all at bonneville this year and at lake g next year  :-)

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 12:47:16 AM »
they were weened on Fosters Ale

Fosters is not consumed by most Aussies - it is exported for a reason.... :-D
wasn't that the stuff that was sent to lab & results came back-- Dear sir your horse has diabetes..
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Freud

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
It seems to me that it was 1968 that Speed Week rained out. Then the first "delayed" meet was scheduled for October. I know it's a long dusty drive in Australia but if your wives want you out of the house bad enough, they may schedule a May Meet for you.
FREUD
Since '63

LVMAXX

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:22:43 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Wet Salt?
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 04:15:07 AM »
AS AT 10/02/2008 THE SPEED TRIALS HAVE BEEN POSTPONED! After an inspection of Lake Gairdner by representatives of the DLRA and Rangers from the South Australian Department of Environment and Heritage, on Friday 7th February 2008 and again on Saturday 8th February 2008. It has been decided to indefinitely postpone the 2008 DLRA Speed Week.
This decision has not been taken lightly, and in consideration of the wasted travels made by many competitors last year it was deemed appropriate to make a decision at this time. It is understood that there are some international vehicles in transit now and their departure was guided by the best information available at that time.
Using GPS an inspection of the track surface was undertaken at each mile mark, the salt was soft enough for a large screwdriver to be pushed in by hand. Where vehicles had driven over the salt, the depression left by the tyres immediately filled with water. On the Friday a DEH 4WD got bogged at the northern end of the course, fortunately they had a satellite phone and were able to contact DLRA members who brought out the necessary equipment to effect a difficult recovery.It should be noted at the inspection at the lake in December 2007 by DLRA members even thought there was surface water, it took up to 5 blows of a mallet to drive a sharpened spike on 25mm into the salt.
Several teams are still planning on going out to the Lake around the 3rd March 2008, another inspection of the lake and track surface will take place at that time. It is not anticipated that the surface will be suitable at this time, so further inspections are planned of later in the year.
The issue of cancellation or postponement was discussed by approx 70 members at a meeting in Melbourne on 10/02/2008. There was overwhelming support to conduct a meeting later in the year if conditions were favorable. There are a number of other considerations to be taken into account for another date including the Newtons giving their approval, fire and safety crews availability, surveyors being able to mark the track at short notice and many, many other details.
The Test and Tune day at Mangalore was considered by all to be very successful and gave a lot of new vehicles the opportunity for a shakedown, saving valuable time and expense. There will be another Test and Tune day at Mangalore, date to be announced, Queensland are also looking for a venue.
There will be further announcements as and when inspections of the lake take place. Any news will be posted on this page, placed on the DLRA Forum and distributed via the mailing list.Keep the shiny side up! DLRA WebMaster                                         ,-._|\ Dry Lakes Racers Australia                           /  Oz   \ PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC Australia 3450     \_,--._/ P: 03 5472 4629                                                v F: 03 5472 4370 E: drylakesracersau@hotmail.com W: http://www.dlra.org.au
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm