Author Topic: Motorcycle wheel weight attachment  (Read 4554 times)

lsrholder

Motorcycle wheel weight attachment
« on: February 23, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »
 :?  What are acceptable balance weight attachment, hammer on or the stick on style?

I've seen the stick on, but they all were required to be covered with duct tape. Nothing addresses this in the rules that I was able to see/find.

Thanks

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle wheel weight attachment
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
I don't know if there's a standard acceptable method.  The weights on my wheels are the stick on type, and some have been and some haven't been covered with a duct tape-like substance. 

You have a problem with duct tape -- or perhaps you're concerned that the weight of the tape would affect the state of balance of the wheel?

I'd have to say that I'd rather see the stick-on type than the hammer type -- the latter might be more likely to get flung off at speed -- and would be something on the course that I sure don't want to encounter during a run.

Maybe somebody that knows what the heck he's talking about will chip in a few comments.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 12:17:10 PM »
Stick on if in good shape stays in place the best.
The duct tape helps it to stay that way.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 02:34:07 PM »
We have found that if you use the clip on type, that a good couting of J-B weld keeps them in place. Make sure you weigh the J-B and remove that amount of the lead and it will work fine. Also it helps you see if you have ever lost any weights.

lsrholder

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »
Thank you for your various opinions and replies.

JackD... as always, your ideas/replies are a treat to read. Direct, concise and to the point.

Richard Thomason... a very unique method of retention, one that wouldn't normally cross the average racers mind, but very effective.

Jon... can't see the problem with understanding my inquiry   :? , as we've conversed for going on 3yrs. now at Maxton. Possibly, like me, we're suffering withdrawal symptoms and need to get some track time in   :-D  See you in tech soon.........

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 10:58:26 AM »
LSRH -- Now what did I miss?  I don't see where I said anything about misunderstanding your inquiry.  It seemed pretty clear to me, and that's how I responded.

If you're referring to the line "somebody that knows what the heck he's talking about will chip in a few comments." -- he, in this case, refers to the subject of the sentence (somebody), not to you in particular.  To reword what I said:  "Perhaps a person that knows more about the subject at hand will share his knowledge with us".

Is that more clear?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

mstephenson51

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »
I have some experience in other types of racing wheels that exceed 240 mph, and we exclusively use stick-on.  Mounted where they are flung flat against the wheel, I have never seen one come loose.  We also cover them with aluminum ducting tape.  its lighter and just as strong as "duct-tape" but doesnt tear like the cloth of typical gray duct tape.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:03:15 PM »
Ya sure, but who is going to keep it polished ?  LOL
I have a couple of rolls of polished stainless steel (very sharp edges) I can't let the kids like Kent play with. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"