Author Topic: OK whats the alternative  (Read 19794 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: OK whats the alternative
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
You CAN wear your road race leathers as long as they are old enough to be all leather... :roll:  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

mstephenson51

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »
Yes, Roadracing leathers work fine.......but you can't wear them at a SCTA/BNI Speed Trial.........
those are the rules...........BUB Speed Trial, you CAN wear your roadracing leathers.....those are the rulesl.......

Thats so crazy to me.....   If I can wear the roadrace leathers that have little perf sections and stretch panels riding the SAME bike for the SAME record at the SAME salt flat for BUB and Speedweek, why is there  a difference?   Boggles the mind. :?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
It is not a question about why, it is more of a how high deal. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

mstephenson51

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 10:18:12 PM »
I say, "SUPER DOOPER!"  To all that.  wow.  As an aerodynamicist I can see advantages to certain things, but to me, the advantage of not having heatstroke, or not having all your major joints stuck in a particular position so you cant stear FARRRRR  outweighs the "advantage" of solid leathers.  IMO, there is NOOO suit out there that will keep a rider Perfectly safe at speed on the salt.  Racing is inherantly dangerous and that is why we do what we do.  The NERF guy has a very valid point.  Dont be stupid with the rules.  What is next, 6feet of protective crash absorb. junk around everything?

ARGGGG!  I'm actually completely re-thinking doing LSR AT ALL now....

Racing has risks, people get hurt, people sometimes die.  Thats our buisness.  a couple people died in Indycars recently, but did they change everything?  NO.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
LSR bikes have the best safety record in LSR and the all leather rulings have nothing to do with it.
It was a knee jerk reaction to a problem they have yet to understand.
As long as they consider the entrants to all be somewhere beneath them it will continue.
The report on here from a rider at Maxton over the weekend is a look into the past of the way SCTA was and not what it has deteriorated too. :-( 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
This doesn?t make sense to me Scott.  are you saying the all cow rule ought to be maintained because it cost you lots of money to comply -  so all others need to pay similar amounts?  So if a suit is made that is more abrasion resistant, has better flexibility, is more heat resistant and is cheaper than your custom fit leathers -  they ought to be illegal because you already spent lots of money on your leathers?

Nobodys asking you to buy a new suit every six months.  It?s just that people are interested in having alternatives that are safe and affordable.   If the all leather rule is for safety -  I?m all for it -  but it seems to me the new suits with various safety devises built in or worn underneath are safer than the all cow set-up -  and can be found for cheaper.

So from my point of view -  I have no problem with you using your suit -  for as long as you would like -  but I would like the option of using some of the newer technologies and materials available!

Just my 2 cents worth
Carl 'can?t figure out this rules justification" johansson

and
So what the heck is the answer here?  Basicly have to have leathers custom made to conform with a set of rules that are different from any other form of bike racing?

Some interesting concepts in play here.

If, for some unexplained reason, we have to have
"All cow, All the Time" leathers for ONLY the SCTA events,
what is the ultimate cost?

If you, like me come in "Clydsdale," than a decent set of
leathers might run more than $1,500 from a custom maker.

If you want to be fast, you have to go fast.

If you want to go fast, you have to dress for success.

If you have properly fitting leathers, than there is considerably better aerodynamic benefit.

If these leathers are suitable no other place on earth,
well then, that's just the price of admission.

If the SCTA "backed  up," and allowed leathers that the rest of the world was OK with,
that where would those of us with big bills for protective clothing be?

How would the car guys feel if they had to buy a new fire suit and helmet every six months?
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2007, 12:40:58 PM »
Scott often speaks with "Tongue in Cheek" that is often confused for a Southern Drawl.
"Some of the Ruler Wizards don't get the point and it is more of a 2X4 up the side of the head deal." :-(

mstephenson51

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2007, 01:59:14 PM »
I have the solution.....  American Gladiator is done with those massive steel cages, lets just bolt those to the bikes.   :-D

I work with indy cars a lot, and I have to say, Hot liquids are probably more a porblem with that series than LSR by a LOOOONG way.  Do they do anything special to prevent liquid burns?  NO.  Cloth Firesuit is deemed "A-OK".  I say as long as we have a reasonabley safe suit we should be able to wear it.  INCLUDING the off-the-shelf ones with perforation cooling and stretch panels.

Crap.  This is verging on 5 pages of repeated stuff.  The End.

Offline greg

• New folks
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Decisions, decisions. How bad do you want to spend an extra $1000 for another set of leathers instead of putting it in the running gear for more SPEED? :? :?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2007, 04:55:28 PM »
I have the solution.....  American Gladiator is done with those massive steel cages, lets just bolt those to the bikes.   :-D

I work with indy cars a lot, and I have to say, Hot liquids are probably more a porblem with that series than LSR by a LOOOONG way.  Do they do anything special to prevent liquid burns?  NO.  Cloth Firesuit is deemed "A-OK".  I say as long as we have a reasonabley safe suit we should be able to wear it.  INCLUDING the off-the-shelf ones with perforation cooling and stretch panels.

Crap.  This is verging on 5 pages of repeated stuff.  The End.
Hot liquid will not penetrate tight woven Nomex like the leather that is the subject .

Offline greg

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »
OK. Nomex underwear top and bottom, socks, headsock, 2mm (not 1.1-1.7mm) all cow leathers without ventilation or stretch areas or fabric. Let's go ahead and add the Flak-Jacket like the Harley top fuel guys run as well. They're only $380 with freight.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »
ok 4 goin' on 5 pages of baggin' on the SCTA and no real answer to the question... here's the real deal .... if a restaurant says shirt and shoes or no service that's there decision if they want to take your money... The SCTA being a club says abide by our rules or go race with someone else... your choice! I like the SCTA and thats where i choose to race. I think they have a long term commitment to make me safe and keep me racing for years to come. I have 4 or 5 sets of leathers and yes i had a special SCTA set made cuz that's where i want to race.
Kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2007, 01:32:14 AM »
The real answer is all too obvious and mentioned repeatedly.
It is not supported within the industry, other sanction bodies world wide, all of the riders with the most experience . and even the new LSR entries that have a lot of other racing experience.
Proper input from the riders , acted on responsibly , will keep it afloat without chasing them off as they seem to want to do.  :x

bak189

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2007, 11:06:31 AM »
AMEN, Jack

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39:21 PM »
Five pages and 61+ replies and still nothing different being said.  If are unable to make it what we want, then it is what it is!