Author Topic: OK whats the alternative  (Read 19804 times)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
Re: OK whats the alternative
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 08:10:01 PM »
Motorcycle LSR Leathers
1 piece, all cow (2mm min.) everywhere. 1/4" brass eyelets (3 max. per side) may be installed in armpits and behind knees. All critical areas reinforced with padded kevlar, shins, knees, thighs, tailbone, spine, shoulders, shoulder blades, forearms and elbows. Critical area reinforcement can be integrated in the suit or worn under the suit as a seperate independent garment.

Simple, yet elegant.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
Are you guys listening ?
That was a good  / positive suggestion with some detail that is lacking from what is written today.
It reflects common sense and experience that is sorely lacking.
It is not perfect but it is a thoughtful start that should get the cussin and discussion going.
If stretch panels are an absolute with you, there is a sewing technique that will allow it but without the inclusion of flammable materials outside and possibly exposed to flame.
You guys have it in you, you just have to deal with the wizards that are over you. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 01:06:04 AM »
Thanks muchly Guy ,thats exactly the sort of feed back Im after ,practical suggestions , I will fix up my bill for the pulsoids via Mr KT soon :-D

I have some info on a fire retardant for leather wipe/spray on liquid any one used this before ? ,keep them comming blokes
cheers
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 03:12:34 AM »
Hey wait !
This thing doesn't play that far down under does it ?  LOL
It is not the flame resistance properties of leather that are the real problem, it is the retention of heat and the transfer of heat from hot liquids that is the problem.
The person that suffered the burns has already spoken to that and offered a cheap solution in the form of carbon fibre as an undergarment that is available for about $150 US.
Do a search on leathers around here and follow that discussion from some subject matter experts and rule accordingly.
Follow the leader is good but I am not sure the current leaders should necessarily be followed. 

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:57 AM »
Did I understand correctly that someone is making carbon fiber shorts?  To "protect" you?  If they shatter, it will perforate you where it hurts the most with thousands of tiny needles.  Maybe they are talking about a "codpiece" like the ballet guys use - they were all the rage 400 years ago.  Look at Kevlar or something
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 10:24:15 AM »
Carbon-x is the trade name an is available through Jeg's or Summit.
It is a complete , top to foot underwear that has been recommended by John M.
A search around here is your friend.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 11:39:51 AM »
A couple of years ago we went to one of the big motorcycle expositions -- and I found the booth for the company that makes "Draggin' Jeans" -- the jeans with kevlar inserts in the butt and knees.  They also make (made?) a long-sleeved undershirt of kevlar, and I wear one of those under my leathers.

Anyway, I asked if they make long underwear pants of Kevlar.  Nope.  Will they make a pair for me?  Nope.  Will they make them for sale to the general public?  Nope.

Dang -- I'd get some to weat under the leathers -- if someone would make 'em.  We can't find a source to buy the kevlar fabric (nor the tools to work it) so we can't make our own.  Since we're on this subject -- anyone got leads for us to follow?

I've got a set of carbon-fiber overalls -- a jump suit, maybe you'd call it -- and it's fine for working in the pits but is way too loose for going under the leathers.  It's dark dark blue, too - was uncomfortably warm in the Bonneville and Maxton sunlight.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007, 09:51:31 PM »
[quote author=Seldom Seen Slim l  We can't find a source to buy the kevlar fabric (nor the tools to work it) so we can't make our own.  Since we're on this subject -- anyone got leads for us to follow?

I've got a bunch of kevlar cloth- {used to make soft tops on 34 & essex}can't member where it came from off hand but will post when I figure out- think came from fiberglass dvlmt but not sure-buddy might have sent from hoby place in twin cities- special scissors were supposed to be required but look like normal ones from an alfred hitchcok movie..russ

speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
just did a google search- fiber glast development corp. they got the stuff but don't member if the cheapest place to buy. if you are going to make underware I think it will require some sort of cloth stitched on both sides as it is kind of an anravling mess standing alone.. russ------ps--you probably arn't interested in epoxy-les you wanted to do a body cast- but buddy found a better epox than fiber glast sells- cans are out in paint shop & its dark  cold - if anybody is interested I can post tmro-russ
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:35:06 PM by russ jensen »

Offline panchop

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 12:10:17 AM »
last time i tried to get my hands on some kevler i got shot down. it was a year or so ago but i was told it was being all bought up for the military.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2007, 08:23:54 AM »
Russ, does the kevlar cloth come in a flamey pattern, or maybe someting with bright pink flamingoes on it?  I won't use just anything, you know...

The Draggin' Jeans people said that not only was sourcing the fabric part of the problem -- that also we'd have a heck of a time making our own because of the need for the special scissors needed to work with it, and the need for kevlar thread to sew it together so the outfit wouldn't just disintegrate upon impact.

I wonder if I'm inventing a new business with extremely limited market potential?  Whatever -- if you or anyone has some good information on whether I can make my own long underwear, keep letting me know.  I like the concept of wearing something that'll help reduce the amount of skin graft I might need in the event of a get-off.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »
What are the properties of KEVLAR that make it the preferred cloth material ?
If you were to incorporate it into the package, the leather material should be backed with it first before assembly into a suit.
The thread and seam design must be compatible with the package.
Have we forgotten Carbon-X ? 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 10:04:16 AM »
The carbon-x doesn't have the abrasion resistnce according to my knowledge.  The carbon is for flame resistance. 

As for the kevlar -- it is abrasion resistant, and it is supply enough to be a fine undergarment.  Perhaps it could be incorporated with traditionally-constructed leathers as an inner liner - and provide similar advantages to the undies -- but I'd have to investigate whether the kevlar could be retrofitted to my existing suit, and, if so, at a cost that's reasonably comparable to just putting on flamingo-decorated longjohns and then donning the leathers.

Also -- the kevlar shirt that I wear is woven in such a manner that it is quite comfortable to wear.  I can move around in the leathers -- the undershirt doesn't get all sweaty and make me stick to the inside of the suit.  And when I'm not yet wearing the leathers -- in line, for instance, and getting ready to suit up -- I can wear the kevlar shirt for appropriate modesty (stop laughing!) and the fabric does a fine job of wicking sweat away and keeping me cool.  I was pleasantly surprised by this effect -- you'll see me wearing a long-sleeve faded yellow shirt while I'm in line -- now you know the story.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
Russ, does the kevlar cloth come in a flamey pattern, or maybe someting with bright pink flamingoes on it?  I won't use just anything, you know... Stuff  I have is   bright yellow-don't know if it comes in any other color- yellow is all I have seen -the special scisors is kind of a joke- bought a pair-just long overgrown=no big deal. never crossed thread problem as never sewed any? maybe the bullet proof vest people are using it all up now?? for what you are doing maybe fiberglass E cloth would work better- will see if I can find cat from TWcities so can post dres. russ

Offline tomsmith

CarbonX
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
http://www.chapmaninnovations.com/index.php (Chapman Innovations)

is one source of info on CarbonX cloth.  It is just a brand name and apparently has little or nothing to do with carbon fibre - luckily.  The site mentions that Bell helmets now uses CarbonX cloth for helmet liners.  Never heard of it before but looks good in their blurb.  Jack strikes again.  Notice no commas or apostrophes.  I done good!
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.