Author Topic: Gasoline Dielectric Constants  (Read 2959 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Gasoline Dielectric Constants
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:06:48 AM »
The constant question seems to be "Is my gasoline legal?"
I can't answer that, but I can give you some resources to check.
I don't know what dielectric tester SCTA uses. It's not the only test available to them. There are any number of chemical test kits available to root out what you are trying to slip in. :evil:
I do know that Precision Fuel Testing Systems makes the FT-K01 Fuel Tester. Most fuel testers usually use cyclohexane, with a true D.C. value of 2.025 as a base to calibrate the testers. SCTA rule 2.B seems to indicate that a D.C. of greater than 2.3 would be illegal. You read it and see if you agree.
Then you have the problem of trying to figure out what your gas test would look like. I found an article that showed that several brands of identical pump gas purchased in two locations tested far different from each other.
Our interest is in racing gasoline.
Here's Precision Fuel Testing Systems Gasoline DC test list. ERC, VP, Torco, you name it.
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~hideseng/dc_list.htm
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

stayt`ie

Re: Gasoline Dielectric Constants
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »
thankyou 8-)

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »
Dean,

I believe that this is the unit we are getting to replace our current test set. JD knows for sure.

DW

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:14:47 AM »
One thing to keep in mind for folks that want to get fuel samples tested.

Evaporation from the fuel sample while waiting in line can cause a legal fuel sample to fail.

If you want to pull a fuel sample and have it checked put it in a sealed container or at least cover the sample to minimize evaporation.

For folks in the fuel class that don't need to worry about a sealed fuel tank, exposure of the fuel sample to strong sun light can also degrade leaded fuels.
So those that might be inclined to store fuel temporarily in a container other than metal should keep it in a relatively cool dark place.

Larry