Author Topic: BUB Top Speed Bike/Car Shootout.......  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
BUB Top Speed Bike/Car Shootout.......
« on: February 09, 2007, 11:46:41 AM »
I understand for the 2007 BUB
Trials there will be some major changes in order to speed up the
running process..............stand by.......
more news comming..........................

I sent an e-mail to Denis suggesting that besides the bikes they invite any 350+ mph "car" streamliners that would like to come and run on FIA records.  They would have the long international course already set up and would just need the FIA officials there along with the FIM officials to certify it.

I think it would be a win-win situation.  There wouldn't be that many cars do this, but think of the potential TV coverage that this kind of bike/car top speed shoot out would generate :-).

I would predict revenues would go up for BUB with more spectators coming, potential TV rights, and more entries.

Use some of the increased revenues to put in a second "short" course west of the pits for the under 150 mph "run what you brung bikes".  That would speed up things all the way around and they would still get the thrill of running on the salt.

I never got a response to my e-mail, so I don't even know if Denis ever saw it  :?.

c ya,

Sum

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
Re: BUB Top Speed Bike/Car Shootout.......
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 10:13:13 AM »
Don't they already have an event like that called speed week...... I personally do not think this is a good idea - the reason that bike typically look for their own event is because of the dominat role,priority and problems running in events with cages. The real trick is to increase the interest in the biker world.
Kevin

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »
I had the chance to meet Denis and Delvene last night in Chicago.

Nice people for sure.....

Midway through the conversation, she mentioned that BUB was looking forward having enough competitors to warrant running two courses this fall. I thought she said 140 and RWYB on one, but maybe it was 150.

mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
Don't they already have an event like that called speed week...... I personally do not think this is a good idea - the reason that bike typically look for their own event is because of the dominat role,priority and problems running in events with cages. The real trick is to increase the interest in the biker world.
Kevin

Speed Week isn't the same for the really high speed streamliners:

1.  They can't achieve a FIA record there, since you can't run the course both ways and there is no FIA official there.

2.  Speed Week isn't setup for the one hour turn around required for an FIA record and the course isn't setup for return runs in the opposite direction for safety reasons.

3.  The BUB course is a 11 mile course, so the cars/bikes have an extra mile to get up to maximum speed.  Very important if you are trying to run in the 400-500 mph range.

I feel you would probably have less than 6 cars that run over 350 mph that would be impacting time on the course and these cars don't make run after run and with the addition of a short course like has been mentioned I don't feel they would impact runs per day for everyone.

The other option is to do like they did last year and run these types of cars after the BUB meet on the same course, but that is quite expensive and I would think the expense might come down if they could run at the same meet.  Of course they would be spending more that what it takes to enter Speed Week, but probably far less than what it would take for them to go run on private time.

Also running on private time usually means no spectators due to insurance problems and if they ran at a meet like BUB more of us would be able to watch history being made and also the TV folks would more likely cover something like this that could then be viewed by thousands.

Just my thoughts,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »
All of the above has been done and is the way it is by design and desire.
For example the first use of the 2 track method and the largest crowd to ever wittness an LSR attempt.was an AMA/FIM bike meet in 89.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:54 PM »
Yes, and you did the timing............
right, Jack....................................

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
Yes, and you did the timing............
right, Jack....................................
The timng was done by Mike Mc Carty.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"