Author Topic: Rent a Ride ?????  (Read 34488 times)

Offline esqeddy

• New folks
Re: Rent a Ride ?????
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 02:01:34 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,

I am the one who owns the car in question and who has posted the ebay auction to which you now refer.  Many of you seem dismayed by this so I thought I would make an attempt to give you my perspective.

I am a novice land speed racer.  Last year was my first year and though I learned a lot, had a lot of fun, and set some records at Maxton and the Salt Flats, I still consider myself a novice.  Before I posted the first of the auctions, I ran the idea by a very senior land speed racer, whom I consider my mentor.  The last thing I wanted to do was to step on toes of any veteran racers and SCTA/BNI members or fans.  He assured me that it wasn't a probelm.  That though my approach might be unique, rent-a-ride was nothing new.

Though many of you may be able to afford to land speed race as I hobby, I can not.  At least not at the spending rate I've made developing two cars.  To jump in with both feet and break records right away, it takes a heavy initial out lay.  By approaching this as a business venture, I have the potential and intent of recouping that heavy outlay.  Though we all recognize the thrill of the ride, some have also noted the pride in engineering and building the ride.  Even if I let someone else do the driving, I still get that pride and satisfaction.  As a former engineering scientist, this has great personal value to me.  My career as an attorney doesn't give me the creative and rewarding outlet that building a record winning car does.

If I can recoup my costs, then I get that for free.  If I can make a reasonable profit doing something I love, better yet.  After all, isn't this the American way?

The need to recoup my costs has grown even more pressing as I am now building a new car: An AA Blown Altered Coup.  The costs of this project has far exceed what I planned and budgeted for. If I am able to complete this project, you may well see another auction.

And guys, please keep in mind the following:  Just because I let some one "rent my ride", it doesn't mean that I don't get to ride it some too!  :-)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 11:58:27 AM »
Well said. It sounds like you have a great plain. I wish you good luck. Hope to see you on the salt. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »
When you think that most V8 engines from a top line engine builder start at 25k and go up and usually end up being closer to 50k makes this seems like a deal.

Some other comparables to consider, to rent a front line SCCA Trans-Am car, about six years ago was 75k a race, a frontline SCCA GT-1 ride (for a club race) 10k.  A NASCAR road course race  with a middle of the pack team 100k, and for this years 24hrs of Daytona in a some what competitive sedan 30k.  Oh, you also have to share the ride with four other drivers. Finally for the Indy 500 depending on the team 100k to 250k.

So for the guy that cant afford or have the ability to do it himself but wants to enjoy this great sport this an economical way to go. In fact I know of several good cars on the salt that you could rent the ride.  They just they have not gone to EBAY.

Don?t be discouraged esqeddy. This is a good idea and go with it!

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 12:33:09 PM »
I don't mind "rentarides" (I take credit and all royalties for the use of this new word-take that, Dolan) near as much as I do the infringement on our sport by the trend of high dollar corporate sponsored vehicles that roll in with their entourages, media coverage, etc., and do little if anything to help run the events, clean up, and or help fellow racers.  I would bet if you asked one of them to borrow a jack stand, you would be given the "bums rush".  Maybe I am just old and cranky like Jack..........
Bob Drury

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »
One of the electric cars was in impound getting ready in the AM and we went over to look at a very nice car. The first time the camera flash went off it was "no pictures" then they started to cover everything. They had alot of money but no class :-P Most racers like people to admire their work.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
This whole thing was started by a person with an entirely other axe to grind and then they grabbed the wrong end.
 They were suitably answered from the start.

The often repeated lesson here is: " What is it you really want ?
It takes time or money, how soon do you want it ?"
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline desotoman

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2007, 01:10:20 PM »
Question: What happens when someone who has rented a ride gets hurt or killed? Who will get sued? SCTA or Owner of car, or both.  

Sorry guys I think this is a bad idea. Just because it is someones dream to go 200mph at Bonneville and they have the money to pay for a rent a ride, it does not mean they have the talent or ablility to drive.

With stuff like this happening I really think it is time SCTA requires every driver to have taken and passed an FAA type physical.  

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2007, 01:36:48 PM »
Tom, you question on liability is a good point to bring up.

Unfortunately we live in a very litigious society.  There is a also case law covering this subject.  If some one gets killed in one of these rent a rides, I am afraid any body with deep pockets will be dragged into it if it was their fault or not.  Who knows maybe even the volunteers who prepped the course will be dragged into this for negligence.  Does the SCTA have a insurance policy to cover the volunteers in a case? I know they must have one to indemnify the board.

Going 200 is no easy task even though some who have not been around the sport seem to think it is.  I agree there should be some sort of stringent physical to pass.  If it?s a FAA type or not I don?t know, but if it is do you put an age limit like the FAA, say for anything above 250 you have to be under a certain age.

But what ever it is this a very high risk sport and if some one takes it lightly it will come to bite them and us.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

dwarner

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2007, 02:40:56 PM »
The name of the team with the ebay offer is American Justice. We have heard from the offerer on this thread and found out he is an attorney with a dream. I am sure his education and experience will be able to address the liability issue.

DW

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
My career as an attorney doesn't give me the creative and rewarding outlet that building a record winning car does.

If I can recoup my costs, then I get that for free.  If I can make a reasonable profit doing something I love, better yet.  After all, isn't this the American way?
:-)

.....that makes our operation sound like it really does exist on a wing ( and I mean ONE) and a prayer .When I'm doing something I love due diligence is invariably somewhere else....... Last night a bunch of us had a feed at a local Indian....my sister and her son had to leave early ,as she left she handed me a fifty dollar note and said "no , don't give me any change" .......I muttered to the Reverend "people with race cars don't give change"........think more along the lines of a mulching machine than a balance sheet when it comes to our team finances. :-o :? :lol: :cry:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

bak189

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »
You can not push start or ride your race M/C in the pits............
You can not ride your bike back to the start line/pits...........You can not race with a passenger in your sidecar...............INSURANCE WILL NOT ALLOW IT............But insurance will allow rides to be sold on E-Bay to any person with a fat check-book and go over 200mph.
What is wrong with this picture.....and what am I to believe is fact?????? Someone PLEASE explain it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
Your premise is flawed from the start.
Rides are not for sale it is the opporunity to drive.
The passenger in the sidecar opportunity stepped in it when a LOL was given a ride  in an enclosed hack and could not have survived the impact of an upset with every safety measure in place.

"Insurance follows the rules that follow the advice of the experience on both sides."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »
Tom, its good to see you back.  I agree with you 100% but I don't know how you can stop the process.  As long as they upgrade from C card as is called out in the rule book, I guess they have every right.  That is not to say that it doesn't eat at my craw when some Bozo sets a record without getting dirt under their fingernails...
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
Let us not forget that whoever gets in that car will have to go thru the licensing runs just like anyone else that never ran 200 before and the same tech inspection, etc., etc., etc..  If at any time SCTA/BNI feels there is an unsafe situation with either the car or driver it will have to be corrected.

As many have said this already goes on all the time, it just isn't bid on e-bay.  Heck if someone wants to foot the expense for a really good motor to go in my lakester I would let them take a shot at driving and they might not of done a thing in building the car. 

This just sounds like a "keep up with the Jones" thing to me.  No matter how much time and/or money you put into your car someone else will have more or less and is it fair to judge them based on the standards you set for yourself.  Do you want the guy that spends less or more than you judging you??

I say if this works for the guy with the car and the guy who wants to drive it then it is none of my business and if I all of a sudden inherit a million from some aunt that I don't know about and want to put all of it into my car am I now looked down upon???  Should I look down on the guys that have 25K to put in their cars and should they look down on the guys that have 50K??

Some of this responce is also applies to the thread on Fossett.

c ya,

Sum

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2007, 06:20:07 PM »
I believe the issue here is involvement!  I can only speak for myself, but I think the people who communicate here are all about the PROCESS not the result.  All of us have different levels of skill.  I know as I walk around the salt and look at the efforts of others that I can?t produce some of what I see, either because of the limits of my skills and experience or my economic situation, but I know I can compete safely and have fun if I choose the right situation.

No matter what your skill vs. economic situation is, what?s the matter with earning your way in instead of just showing up and buying your way in!  Join a team and help until you earn a ride, partner with a team who needs financial help and be involved until you deserve a ride.  There are dozens of ways to be involved besides throwing money at someone.

While I am too involved in my own project to just take money from a stranger and let them accomplish whatever end result it may achieve, I don?t have a problem with others who may want to do so.  I do believe as discussed above (in spite of the fact that it happens) just showing up at an event to drive is not the way to get there, no matter how much money is involved.  I also believe this is more true In LSR than all other motorsports and I suspect it?s responsible for some of the emotion expressed here!

I see the Fossett situation differently, it?s obvious he?s there because of a financial situation but he is involved in the PROCESS!

John N