Author Topic: HWY TO SALT  (Read 3237 times)

Offline left coast bill

• New folks
HWY TO SALT
« on: February 04, 2007, 01:01:43 AM »
OK we can now get the speed we need.  We did testing at altitude, temp,two way run etc etc. We have a great test road but its not salt. Our test speed is 126 mph  Question : what  will the salt do to our program.
And no we can't tell you about where the test road is sorry.
I may not understand what you say,but I"ll defend to your death my right to deny it. ( POGO )

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: HWY TO SALT
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:29:34 PM »
Traction will be less, but for the speeds you are talking about I would imagine traction is not one of your concerns.

It can also be "sticky" - causing more rolling drag.  And the way it sticks in wheel wells and along the bottom can throw off your drag coefficient.

Don't know how your test site compares with heat and air density/altitude, but it's amazing how quickly the horsepower drops off when the elevation and/or temperature increases . . .

Only been out there 5 or 6 years, sure there are others on the board that can give better/more detailed feedback.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
Rule of thumb: You will loose about 20 mph per 100 mph so if you are testing at 126 mph you could reasonably expect to go 100.8 mph :-D

But after all, that is still just a guestamate. :wink:

Good luck. I would be interested to see how close my guess is. Keep in touch. :-)
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:33:17 PM »
The fastest our car did on I-80 was about 95 MPH on the big down hill into Salt Lake. Stainless drove it at 230 Mph on the salt. :-o So the salt doesn't always slow you down. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:38:30 AM »
There is no way to compare unless the salt is very dry. I remember one year when the salt was so dry that everyone destroyed their tires when they spun them. The cords were bare in one or two runs. If spinning is caused by wet conditions your speed will drop measurably and the surface of the tire wears very little but dry salt will surprise you in comparison.
My 600 cc street bike tached 156 MPH on the asphalt headed toward the "end of the road" and we received a 152 MPH timing slip. The salt was exceptional and there wasn't enough power to worry about wheel slip.

Run on your test road and compare after your salt experience but don't expect the same results the following year. The asphalt changes very little but the salt changes day to day.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:36 AM »
On the trailer with bad brakes on the old Salt Coach was a bad way to get speed comparisons, but it was the fastest the combination had gone at the time.  At least that is what we told 'em at the gas stations when asked the how fast question....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:21 AM »
We play a game with the locals every time we stop for gas and the racer drew a crowd.
The game was "AWE BS".
The way it worked was as you might expect they would always ask how fast is it.
Each person with us took turns giving the locals a speed.
Each time we stopped and another one of our tribe was up, he was required to give a faster speed and still be believed.
That continued the speed up until finally the local victim would say "AWE BS."
That was the end of the round and the tribal loser had to buy the next meal.

"Ifn rasin wernt tuf, everbuddy woodb dooin sum."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"