Author Topic: For the Old Computer Users....  (Read 9137 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: For the Old Computer Users....
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 05:07:31 PM »
Come on Jon, stop using them funny sounding words. Because then I have to go get that big heavy book, ( the one with lots of words and not many pictures ) just to find out what you said.
Doug Odom in big ditch    just being facetious
 ( yep found that in the big heavy book )
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 06:01:16 PM »
TOUGH CROWD !!!
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:58:44 PM »
You guys transmogrify everything!  My favorite non-word, "profundum", was invented by somebody at JPL - I worked there from 1964 until 1976.  A "profundum" was a profound-sounding statement that doesn't mean anything, but might make you sound educated and knowledgeable.   I try to use profundums as often as I can.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline k.h.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 08:37:12 PM »
Tough crowd?  Tough, but flexible.  And creative.  Like with dustbin fairings.  I was about to donate my superflous OEM pushrod to charity when I remembered the Jacwal Superwedge, which could be skirted with the XRTT lowers hanging in the garage.  Legal?  It's not a dustbin, it's transmogrified.  Like the "M" portion of the M/C section of the rule book some time ago.  Anyway, if I build to the rule book, one avoids arguments with the inspectors, right? 

Transmogrify.  That's what happened to this computer thread, eh?  To get back on track:

What with a few old computers living in the basement, but not wanting to get rid of them with who knows what personal info on the hard drives, if I turn them on and drop them on the concrete, will that erase the data?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 09:10:31 PM »
If you want to make sure the hard drive's neutralized check out the February 2007 Popular Mechanics, page 207. Most of us have the tools to handle this!

Pete

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 09:50:53 PM »
The Jacwal Superwedge died after the rider exited from under a bridge overcrossing into a cross wind and his estate got a lot of money.
One of the best street fairings was the Rabid Transit :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline k.h.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »
Did Vesco make lowers for the Rabid Transit?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »
Not sure I like the direction this is moving in.  By the way what direction is it?

John

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 01:09:49 AM »
Transmogrify.  That's what happened to this computer thread, eh?  To get back on track:

What with a few old computers living in the basement, but not wanting to get rid of them with who knows what personal info on the hard drives, if I turn them on and drop them on the concrete, will that erase the data?

Sorry k.h., but that wasn't the original track either :wink:, and no that won't erase any data :roll:,

Sum

P.S. I'm not even sure what the original track was except I didn't know if it took anyone else 2 days to find the poll on b'ville 2007  8-).

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
Did Vesco make lowers for the Rabid Transit?
Yes but the business went out when Matt retired.
Look at his gas milage Suzi and see what he says about streamlining limits.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 02:36:53 AM »
Yes Matt made lowers for the Vesco rabid transit fairing. Matt no longer makes them... but I do!
kent

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »
I personally use "Acronis Drive Cleanser" to wipe out info on hard drives that I want to get rid of.  Acronis "Privacy Expert Suite" is another.  There are probably lots of similar products, but my copy came with some other software I bought.  Free is best.  You might find a similar (free) package on shareware/freeware sites "Tucows.com" or "Nonags.com".  There are several methods for erasing hard disks, depending on how paranoid you are or whether the disk contains classified info.  Many years ago, we used to have to use approved government erasing/writeover standards, then destroy the disk by grinding it up.  You probably won't go to that extreme, but remember that rocks are magnetized (oriented toward magnetic poles) when they are formed and are still magnetized after 3 or 4 billion years.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.