Author Topic: For the Old Computer Users....  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
For the Old Computer Users....
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
Your computer is old not you.  If you are still operating with a computer screen that is 800X640 you might want to scroll around the screen a little on the main entrance screen to landracing.com.

I figured this out when I started to look for the "2007 Bonneville" poll that there were posts about.  It only took me two days to find the poll they were talking about :cry:.  When I go to landracing.com's home page I only see the left side of the page.  I didn't realize this until today, so the stuff on the right side, like the poll, was out of sight.  Now I'll learn to use the scroll bar at the bottom until I can afford to update my screen/system.

Just thought I would mention this in case someone else was doing the same thing.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: For the Old Computer Users....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
If you can, click and hold on the lower right-hand corner of the screen and drag the page "bigger".  You should eventually see a grey cross-hatched border on either side of the page itself.  On my iMac that lower right corner is scored with a few lines -- like for traction when you click there.  Whatever -- try using it to make the picture full-size.

On Windows computers I think you can try one stroke of the "F11" key (up on the top row) to make the page go to full-size of the screen.  The buttons might disappear, might show up after all.  Another stroke of F11 will restore things to original.  That's another way to get more stuff on your screen.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:44:10 PM »
If you can, click and hold on the lower right-hand corner of the screen and drag the page "bigger".  You should eventually see a grey cross-hatched border on either side of the page itself.  On my iMac that lower right corner is scored with a few lines -- like for traction when you click there.  Whatever -- try using it to make the picture full-size.

On Windows computers I think you can try one stroke of the "F11" key (up on the top row) to make the page go to full-size of the screen.  The buttons might disappear, might show up after all.  Another stroke of F11 will restore things to original.  That's another way to get more stuff on your screen.

The F11 only makes the other crap like the address bars and such go away, it doesn't reformat your screen for the wider layout.   I think Jon has laid the screens out in a 1024 pixel wide format.  I'll live, just one more reason to hopefully update the equipment at some point.

c ya,

Sum

landracing

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:25:35 AM »
most websites are formatting for 1024x768 minimum.. Now there are some that have a browser and screen resolution dectecter and reformat the pages for you... I dont have that feature on the main pages.

I have a computer that I wont be doing anything with... Can send it to the most needy person on the site. It is still a great computer. May need a power supply and thats it.

I have updated, actually tomarrow with a new computer enabled and powerfull enough to handle a large amount of video and house all the digital images that I have taken over the years.

Until Blue Ray comes way way way down in price for recorders and disks looking like a large Hard Drive system.

Looking like a (4x) 250GB drives, with latest quad core processor with 4 GB of memory... THat should handle some processing power for some large video files... Cant wait to see this thing in action, better live up to the ratings and price...

Jon

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:47:13 AM »
Want an almost new power supply?  I replaced it with a quieter one.  It's a 460watt high quality Thermaltake (I think).  Let me know where to ship it to if you want it.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

landracing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:52:03 AM »
Tom,

Im just going to pick one up today, for 19.99 im not out much.. Thanks though.

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
most websites are formatting for 1024x768 minimum.. Now there are some that have a browser and screen resolution dectecter and reformat the pages for you... I dont have that feature on the main pages.

I have a computer that I wont be doing anything with... Can send it to the most needy person on the site. It is still a great computer. May need a power supply and thats it.............................Jon

Jon this site is ok with the 1024 format as you can scroll back and forth and see the whole page if you still have an 800 screen like mine (actually I can set the screen to 1024, but my old eyes don't like it).  I was on the site for the Dakar the last week and on there they were set up for 1024, but you couldn't scroll over to see what the "buttons" said to see which to hit.  You could just see the edge of them.  By trial an error I finally figured out the system and was able to see the daily results.  Now setting a site up like that is just dumb.

Jon how are you going to find out who the most needy is??  Do we have to submit our 1040's  :-D.  Auction the computer off on the site and use the proceeds yourself.

c ya,

Sum

Offline tomsmith

more on the power supply
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
Are you sure you don't want it?  My wife (along with some help) is cleaning out the garage and getting stuff ready to give to the electronic recyclers and trash.  I would rather give it to you since it's almost new - think of it as my "giving to the cause".  Specs are below.  If you decline, I'd be happy to ship it to someone else that wants it.  I pay the postage within the lower 48.  I personally wouldn't put a $19.95 power supply in since I bought it to replace my previous bad supply that fried 3 new motherboards, a cpu, and a new video board before the service guys figured out what was wrong.

Thermaltake Silent PurePower W0044 ATX 480W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817153020    $75.99

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
Besides... I'm trying to get enough space to work on my Harley Hummer and Kawasaki Mach III.

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 08:18:57 PM »
Before we go to far here talking equipment issues, why haven't we heard from Slim asking for clarification.  Are we talking "old computer users" or "users of old computers?

John

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 09:15:56 AM »
Hey, it's great to be popular, isn't it?  Interesting note:  One of the lines of business that my company does is recycle electronic waste.  We charge for it -- send the stuff to a shop that does the work -- but we get old 'puters by the pallet.  I expect if you folks would visit here you'd be able to find darn near anything you desire in the way of power supplies or boards or -- well, right now there's a WWII oscilloscope right outside my office.  I'm taking it to the local ham radio swapfest tomorrow t donate to the club -- I betcha someone will find value in it.  Maybe an old computer user, maybe a user of old computers.

I guess maybe you could call me pedantic yet willing to engage in the occasinal bit of obfuscation.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »
A confusing showoff, an apt description indeed!

John

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »
Slim, the more I think about it, Jack tends to deal almost exclusively in pedantic obfuscation even if most of it is written in code.

John

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 04:08:01 PM »
"A language that is foreign to you may be just foreign to you." :wink:   LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline k.h.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 05:03:39 PM »
What is clear as mud can still cover the ground.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut