Author Topic: Mile High Talon  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
    • http://groups.msn.com/MileHighTalon
Mile High Talon
« on: January 30, 2007, 03:01:58 PM »
Me: 47, single Dad w/2 kids, ran at WoS '03, '04, & '06
Car: '95 Eagle Talon TSiAWD, 280,000 mi. on original 2.0L engine, stock turbo, full street & emission-legal daily-driver on pump gas and 225/50-16's ran an average 147.77589 at WoS '06. Planning on heading back for WoS '07 to try for the 150 Club again with a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, E85 fuel, a set of M&H 4.5-27-16's, and no catalytic convertor or muffler. Long-term goal to build to G/BGT specs, drop in a new race engine, and run at SW and WF.

If anyone knows of any car that's ever run on the Salt with higher mileage and at a higher speed than mine let me know.
That'd be some kind of record! James

WoS '06 Profile photo by Thomas 'Porkpie' Graf
WoS '06 Video stills by: Paul Busta, P.A.B. Digital Video Productions
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:17:16 PM by Mile High Talon »
'95 Talon TSiAWD daily driver
www.milehightalon.net
WoS '06 148.36887mph @ 280,000mi.
Profile photo by 'Porkpie' Graf

Offline Stan Back

Re: Mile High Talon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:29:14 PM »
Why're ya gunna change it?  It looks like the more you get it broke in, the faster it goes.  (Maybe that's our problem!?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »
Hopefully, to slam dunk the 150 Club this year at WoS; and then go alot faster in the upcoming years. I'm pretty much maxed out on the stock Mitsu 16G turbo at ~245WHP at 15psi boost. The math says the new tires and engine mods should run low-170's on the Salt(if I can hook up all the extra HP). The 6152 turbo my drag racing friends are running dynos >630-650WHP(corrected) on a race-built 4G63 Mitsu engine at 24psi boost on E85.  With the stock 4G63 block, internals, & head I've got, my 6152 should make ~375WHP at 18psi boost. Running E85(105 octane) requires ~1.5 times more fuel than E10 pump gasoline, so I'm changing from 660 cc/min which ran 60% injector duty cycle last time out to 950 cc/min injectors.

James
Mile High Talon
www.milehightalon.net

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 11:54:25 PM »
Damned respectable, Mile High. Colorado State Police can give you a radar printout
if people don't believe you. The ticket is probably cheaper than the entry fees on the
salt and you can get one any month of the year. You will get better traction on dry
asphalt than wet salt. Maybe that's where your lost MPH are.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:54:08 AM »
Freud,
 I don't know what the cops are like in the north west, but I know in Colorado if you were going a buck fifty, you are going to jail without passing go & it will really cost you. :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 08:42:59 AM »
And ya know Johnboy is intimately familiar with that situation... :-o  :evil:  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »
 :evil:And as Stainless said, in more than one state. :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »
4/04/07 Update: Bought a set of 4.5x27-16's late last Fall that I'll be running this year on the Salt on 4.5x16 welded steel rims. Have been running 225/50-ZR16's which are 25" diameter, so I'm hoping that the combination of larger-circumference tires and the half-as-wide contact patch will help get it into the low-to-mid 160's with the tire change alone.

Making the new tires fit inside the front wheel wells with the 2" lowering springs that are on the car required some work. Initially, the top of the front tires were in contact with the inner fender liners, so I heated and stretched the plastic front inner fender liners and then added a set of coil spring spacers last weekend to create 3/4" vertical clearance above the tires so I could take it on the road for a test drive. With the narrow tires, Moon discs, and sponsors graphics, it looks like a "real" LSR car now. Noted that it doesn't bog off the line, seems to accelerate a bit quicker, and that the speedo is no longer accurate. Other drivers were definitely doing double-takes, and a not-to-friendly local law enforcement officer stopped me to ascertain that the tires are DOT-legal, check my insurance and registration, and scope out that the side mirrors, wipers, and cat. convertor were in place. [He seemed bummed that he couldn't cite me for any violations! hehehe]   

Will probably change to 1" lowering springs or back to the stock springs later this Summer as I'm concerned that with only 3/4" clearance the tires might rub while braking, or clog up if the Salt is wet.

James
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:44:47 PM by Mile High Talon »
www.milehightalon.net

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 05:52:59 PM »
5/09 update: Passed CO bi-annual emissions test on the 1st try. 282,000 miles on original engine now.

Hadn't made any changes to the engine or tuning since WoS, only mod was to install a set of front spring rubbers to lift the front end up an inch so it would clear the deck when they dropped the rollers down for testing.

James
www.milehightalon.net

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:54:15 AM »
Looks like you're doin it right.  We've built a bunch of 4g63's here and they seem to take the power pretty well as long as you keep the ignition timing in check.  Several local daily drivers in the 400-500whp range on pump gas so I would say switching to E85 should help you out a bit. 
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
7/01/07 Update:

Living in road salt-free Colorado for the past 14 years I'd forgot my Minnesota experiences of what a PITA it can be to remove a rust-locked part! Barely-managed to remove the Bonneville-rusted rear O2 sensor to swap in a new PLK wideband O2 sensor for tuning. Also swapped in the test pipe in place of the cat while under the car. Installed a new Aeromotive FPR kit in place of the crappy B&M Command-Flo and a set of 1600CC fuel injectors in place of the 660's to run E85; then installed a new HKS SSQV blow-off valve in place of the stock DSM 1G BOV.

Received a new Forced Performance 4" cast alum. intake pipe at the end of last week, and am waiting on UPS to deliver the new 4" inlet PTE 6776 turbo to replace the 2.25" inlet "Big" 16G, stock 2.25" intake pipe, and change out the stock radiator for a much larger-capacity Fluidyne alum. unit.

James
www.milehightalon.net

Offline Mile High Talon

• High Mileage Racer
  • New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 04:35:36 PM »
9/26/07 Update:

Despite months of work and the excellent help and support of great sponsors and friends, once and done was the result at WoS '07. With the new T67 turbo Mile High Talon ran 25mph faster at the 1st mile than ever before. Unfortunately, just past the 1 the boost started fluctuating, which I thought was due to a boost leak during the run. Afterward I found that I'd cracked the #4 piston and chipped pieces off both exhaust valves in that hole. With no spares on hand to replace the broken parts we were all done for the season after that first run. But considering the engine had 283,000+ miles and three seasons worth of Bonneville runs on it, not surprisingly it finally died an overdue death.

Now in the process of building a 6-bolt 4G63 engine to replace the old 7-bolt 4G63 engine(referring to the # of bolts which attach the flywheel to the crankshaft. Later 7-bolt engines are more prone to crankwalk than the earlier 6-bolt series); and the UPS guy is dropping new parts off on a daily basis. I've got a donated 6-bolt block in the machine shop being magnafluxed and bored 20-over to fit 20-over forged Ross pistons w/Ross rings, Eagle H-beam forged rods, a magnafluxed & polished factory forged crankshaft, and a stack of new parts sitting in the garage incl.: a balance shaft removal kit, oil pump housing and gears, water pump, timing belt, an HKS 1.6mm metal head gasket, and ARP head studs, an ACT forged 6-bolt flywheel, a 1st-gen intake manifold port-matched to a ported and polished head with SS valves and a set of Crower 280 cams, and am switching from the early 2nd-gen cam angle sensor to a 1st-gen CAS with an RRE harness for that swap. The 1600cc injectors are on the way back from RC Engineering after cleaning and flow-testing. The block machining should be completed in about a week, so we'll be assembling the new engine within the next two weeks. The goal is to end up with a strong reliable engine that makes 450HP+ at 20-25# of boost rather than tuning all-out to make 550-600HP at 30-35# of boost like several of my drag racing friends are doing with similar set-ups. Also will be swapping a 25%-over TRE 5th gear into the transaxle this Fall/Winter. Then, with the addition of more rollcage, Halon, a chute, window tabs, etc. next Spring and Summer we'll hopefully pass tech for BGT or PS class racing for next season.

Special "THANKS" to our 2007 sponsors for their generous financial support: Mile High Honda/Mitsubishi/Acura (www.milehighimports.com), www.9secondracing.com, On-Track Performance, Bob's Volvo Service, and www.thecarpetstudio.com; and to Stephen Johnson for all the wrenching and coming with as our Crew Chief, to Jason Martinez for all your shop time and tools getting the 7-bolt ACT forged flywheel and CV boots installed, and to Hal Landry for rebuilding the throttle body in record time!!

More updates and an occasional photo to be posted as the build progresses.
James
www.milehightalon.net

Offline AJR192

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 09:14:27 PM »
Get that thing screwed back together and haul ass at the World Finals. Neat car and dedicated owner.