Author Topic: Naked & Nasty  (Read 20321 times)

Offline Larry Forstall

Naked & Nasty
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
Building for Maxton Mile. Ridden by Steve & Mark. Busa frame rescued from underwater burial during Katrina. Raked five degrees, Shortened 1000 Forks, 60" WB. Stock bore and stroke engine with the usual mods. Intercooled plenum (Tank and up pipe yet to be made). Hope to be ready this Spring but it is too cold to work on it. :roll:

bak189

Re: Naked & Nasty
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:35:38 PM »
Looks great Larry.......PLEASE, don't hang a 3rd wheel on it and call it a sidecar..............................!!!!

Offline naked

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
The bike looks great . Are you gonna leave it naked or run it with the fairings.
Todd B. :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 11:52:47 AM »
Todd, no matter what class you choose to ride your bike in -- I know you just well enough to request that maybe the visual you're supplying isn't what I'd like to have just before lunchtime.  Would you be so kind as to find another handle?  I mean, watching you dance after qualifying was enough -- and you were weaering leathers then.  I hesitate to allow myself to imagine. . .

Regards from way up north.  It's good to have you onboard this forum, even if your name isn't what we'd prefer.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 02:17:33 PM »
Mark DeLuca came over today with the tank and seat from the N/A Busa. This is how the bike will be raced Todd. If Scott and others take all our old 1350 faired turbo records we might return to that battle but the current plan is to try to get a record above 220. Steve was the first to go 220 at Maxton (and 235) so it would be neat if he could be the first to go 220 naked. (No comments Slim!!). Notice the Kamm effect tail section as mandated by the "old" SCTA rules. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
Very nice Larry  :-).  Tell Steve to be careful as I can't imagine 220 on that.  Good thing I'm an old man and don't have to consider doing anything like that anymore :wink:.

Will you be bringing the bike like that to either Speed Week or BUB??

c ya,

Sum

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:24:32 AM »
very impressive Larry ,I always look forward to your creations  :-D 8-)
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 04:05:10 AM »
It would seem the "OLD SCTA" rule had some thought in it beyond the obvious hazards of too long an extension of bodywork behind the rider.
Kamm was a pretty sharp cookie.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline smcleod007

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 02:45:59 AM »
It would seem the "OLD SCTA" rule had some thought in it beyond the obvious hazards of too long an extension of bodywork behind the rider.
Kamm was a pretty sharp cookie.

Hi  Larry,
Very cool looking machine!

Larry and JackD,

I am a newbie who will going to El Mirage and Bonneville for the first time this year to experience some Land Speed Racing and get into the 200MPH Club. I have a +6" over catalyst street tail on my Busa that I planned on running. How far can the tail extend behind the rear tire before it becomes dangerous?

Thanks,  Scott

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 03:36:52 AM »
Scott
To begin do a Google search on Kamm aerodynamics.
It mostly talks about cars but handling exit air is common to bikes also.
The limitation of the area behind the rider is a product of an attempt to reduce the bad effect a cross wind might have of the ability of a bike to handle well.
To take it to an extreme and help to understand it, imagine a full sheet of plywood on edge and sticking out behind a rider.
It is no problem until the side winds turn up or you encounter the turbulence that surrounding objects like traffic might present.
It is more of a safety rule than anything else and effective handling the air within those boundaries can be very effective.
There is always a temptation to try to improve on it with a longer section with more area but always with a bad result.
Can AM Motorcycles did a very extensive testing project in the mid 70s that if available sheds quite a light on the variables.
In short, they went with the smaller limit.
Read up on it and let us know what you think.
"I feel it is better to point than hold your hand."
I can't speak for Larry.  LOL
Jack   
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Freud

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
That article on Can Am tunnel testing was in CYCLE Magazine a long time ago. At the time it was published, it was the most expensive article they had ever published. The result of their testing was the Can Am 125 that Bob Barker rode to a record of 137 MPH, as I recall. They had a fairing with a long tail. The idea was great but they ran the shorter version on their record runs. There was a foto of the bike in CYCLE.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 01:45:13 PM »
I knew that would stir Freud.  LOL
Legitimate mentions of safety are taken from experience and should willingly be shared.
A legitimate question deserves more than  yes or no answer and direction to the availble research is best. :wink:

Offline smcleod007

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I first thought Kamm was the fab guy who made Larry's tail. :-D After a little Internet search, It's all much clearer now.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I first thought Kamm was the fab guy who made Larry's tail. :-D After a little Internet search, It's all much clearer now.
Was that a better way to answer ?

"Leading one to arrive at a conclusion you might already have will serve both better and point up any misconceptions for both."

"When you see someone beating their head against a wall, it is important to find out if they are trying to make their feet feel better or knock down the wall.
All of that might be done with a hammer with a better result either way."

bak189

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 06:38:35 PM »
The Can-Am record was set at 136.537 mph in 1973.....with a fast run just over 138 mph...with a 125c.c. Rotax engine with 22 hp on fuel....todate the record has not been beaten and still stands. Extensive wind-tunnel testing was done on the bike in Canada
It was run with a long tail (seat)...but at 80mph
it handled so bad it was not safe.  The streamlining. of the bike was so good that on the return run the engine locked up.... and still coasted thru at 133+mph. This was a factory effort by Can-Am. For the last 6 years the name of the rider has been misspelled in the SCTA/BNI rule book.  But he does not care....the record still stands