Author Topic: Hooley Stude hood bulge - question for Sumner  (Read 6282 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Hooley Stude hood bulge - question for Sumner
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »
 There is a steel tubing frame around the perimeter of the canopy and the front of the canopy tucks under the hood about 3/4" (20mm) so I believe it won't be able to lift.
     Harv
[/quote]

Harv,

than you will get no problem, also this solution is for air flow the better one. The solution to lay the front on the body panel needs always enough pretension.

So you use no hinge, you run the canopy as a single part which stuck under the bodywork (in front) and will be locked on the top to the roll bar.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline hitz

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 01:40:36 AM »
Porkpie,

The canopy has a sliding hinge that moves back about 1 1/2 inchs as the rear of the canopy starts to lift. Once back it is free to open to a vertical position. I couldn't use long levers to hinge it with that motion because my feet are in the way. The reason for having that pull back motion is the peak in the top front panel and matching peak of the canopy. There are a couple of pictures of it on page 9 of Harvey's Lakester on Sumner's web site. I'm not particurly proud of complicated mechanisms. I like simple solutions. :roll: :roll:

I have to make some new sketches of the car that I can scan and I would like to send them to you if I may? For now the sides will be flat and straight back from the cockpit to the rear axle and then curve back to the 6 or 7 inch wide rear of the car. The profile on the back of the car will be similer to the one on ack attack but with the flat bottom rising up from the wheel area at about a 30 degree angle  or it will be similer to my avatar on the top of the car with a fin. I'm running a flare on the bottom of the side panels. Any thoughts on that? I thought they might keep some of the air from under the car.The car will be about 1 1/2 inchs above the salt. Thanks

Harv
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:42:43 AM by hitz »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 10:32:39 AM »
Oops........Harv, I never checked this part of Sum's website.

I think your solution with the hinge is a good one, I was never a friend of a canopy which is not a part of the car body.

And if you like I will view your sketches or picture and let you know my opinion.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)