Author Topic: Recommended caster  (Read 6194 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Recommended caster
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 12:55:54 AM »
I think we should let Tom continue.
It is often really hard to convince an entrant the wind can come up faster than the operator can react and then they tend to over react.
Imagine if you could see the wind as a color and density change as the entrant drove into it at speed, now that would be Traction Control.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 07:21:42 AM »
BH, although I have posted this before, I believe it is worth reprinting.  When I built my car (CFALT) ten years ago, I was trying to find a way to slow the steering down, and thereby take some of the natural herky jerkey motion caused by our natural tendency to over-correct (think driving in snow or ice).  While searching for a slower steering, I came across a roundy-round parts catalog and discovered a steering increaser gear box that fits in the steering shaft between the box and the steering wheel.  They are available in 1.5 or 2.1 ratios.  I inverted a 1.5 ratio box, and mounted it right below the steering wheel, attaching it to a roll cage cross bar.  The result is a reduction in steering speed of aproximatly 1/3.  Several other competitors have since tried it, and I have yet to hear any negative comments.  Good luck, and remember, this only works with the rubber side down.  Bob :wink:

Thanks Bob, neat idea, I have used steering rate quickners before on stock cars, never thought about turning it around!

Thank you,
Bruce Harmon 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
BH, although I have posted this before, I believe it is worth reprinting.  When I built my car (CFALT) ten years ago, I was trying to find a way to slow the steering down, and thereby take some of the natural herky jerkey motion caused by our natural tendency to over-correct (think driving in snow or ice).  While searching for a slower steering, I came across a roundy-round parts catalog and discovered a steering increaser gear box that fits in the steering shaft between the box and the steering wheel.  They are available in 1.5 or 2.1 ratios.  I inverted a 1.5 ratio box, and mounted it right below the steering wheel, attaching it to a roll cage cross bar.  The result is a reduction in steering speed of aproximatly 1/3.  Several other competitors have since tried it, and I have yet to hear any negative comments.  Good luck, and remember, this only works with the rubber side down.  Bob :wink:

Thanks Bob, neat idea, I have used steering rate quickners before on stock cars, never thought about turning it around!

Thank you,
Bruce Harmon 

Woodhaven Enterprises makes this  rack for b'ville that I'm using and I've seen them used on other cars there....

...... 815/732-2806 -- 20:1 Stiletto Box (for B'ville cars ) with 5/8 X 36 splines.

It is an option for some also,

Sum