Author Topic: Eye on the Prize....just not sure which is which  (Read 4711 times)

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
Eye on the Prize....just not sure which is which
« on: January 24, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
Hello All

I have found a spiffy online kph to mph converter, but I am having problems understanding how the FIM lists world records.

Over the last week have figured out enough about the FIM M/C rules to understand that the bikes run in the following divisions

Division A Non-Streamlined
Division B Partial Streamlined
Division C Streamliners

In the record section of the FIM book I can find the records based on motorcycle cc's and also on whether it is a standing or flying start, kn or mile, etc.

but....how do you tell which division the record was set in.

there are three bikes listed in the 1300cc Short Distance Records for 1 KM flying start.

is the first one listed the record for division A, then the second is for division B.....

some of the records are bolded - incidently they are also the fastest times listed.

anybody have any ideas
anybody sorted this out yet?

Mark
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Eye on the Prize....just not sure which is which
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
FIM has been in the practice of continuing to list the previous record for historic perspective.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
Yeah that makes sense when you look at the dates, but what division are the listed records for?

Anybody know where the records for the other classes may be found?

Thanks

MArk
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:14:05 PM »
I've managed to stay pretty well cornfused about figuring out the FIM records listing, even when I've been helped by those that have run on the records.

So then I found this Whitworth - to - metric - to - root/mean/square - to tablespoons-per-light-year conversion table -- and now I know the record in my class is 205.724 mph (I think). 

Despite my personal challenges I'm thinking of running at Bub's this year.  I've discovered helpers at AMA that'll get me through some of the questions that I haven't been able to answer -- and once I know what I know, and once I know what I don't know -- then Nancy and I will decide if what we know we don't is too much to learn before we register.

In the meantime, I did visit the FIM site and download the records.  I don't hve the URL handy -- but here's the "title" of the page (well, 17 pages) that list the records: 05 World Records - Listing - CATI - 2Wheelers.  It's a .pdf document.  If you can't find it I could email it to you -- let me know and send me your email addy.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:16:13 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
Seldom Seen Slim

thanks for the offer, but I think I have the same pages from the BUB link as well as the 2006 pending records.....here is the problem

take a quick look and find the appropriate displacement section and then find the short distance box and toss on a beret and move your finger down to the flying start line.....

is the speed listed for an unstreamlined (division a) bike

or a partial streamlined (division b) bike or a full on streamliner.....

the easyrider record is listed, so i gotta think the speeds for the streamliners.....what about all the naked and the slutty dressed (partially faired) bikes?? where are those records to be found??

duuuuummmmmmm

what do you think/guess???

MArk

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
Mark, I just took another look at what I've got saved here -- and all I have is the Group A1 -- where are the naked and 'liner records?  Maybe I need to go back to the FIM site and get some more stuff.  What's their URL?

I've got the tentative/'06 numbers, too, in another file.  I think the same problem haunts me there, too.

But mostly I've gotta tell you that I think your descriptor for not streamlined, not no-fairing bikes is the best that I've heard, and I that I'll initiate a rules change request to see if we can drop "partially streamlined" and substitute "slutty outfit".  I like that. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 09:57:09 PM »
PUt it this way.... If there is a record in there from before 2004... I think there is no record.

Way I understood it, is that the records are starting from scratch because of the additions of new rules, new classes and restructure of the classification of bikes.

You go and run im pretty sure its an open record.

The runs you show in date order are for historic value as JackD says... Which really has no value right now... They should be frozen in time and cannot be broken, and since that, they should always be listed.

Jon

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »
Jon

Thank you for the time....while I understand what you and JackD's are saying about the 2004 'restart' and historical records

I am still trying to identify/locate the Division A and Division B records for naked and partial streamlined....

wait a second.....

was the creation of the different 'divisions' included in the 2004 changes?

Mark

landracing

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
Yes that is correct.

Basically show up and run a number and you are in with a new record.

The record sheets that are listed are outdated and need to be updated but FIM isn't very fast on that. So its misleading information according to todays rules.

Jon

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »
Thanks again Jon

well..........that makes for a 'feel good' learning curve

Mark