Author Topic: Fuel or Gasoline  (Read 24402 times)

Offline russ jensen

Re: Fuel or Gasoline
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 11:59:42 PM »
Rex, I bet Russ will say that Fergs could do better with Chrysler lectronic. :-D... k 
I don't really care what anybody runs- I just share my experiance for what its worth-wish I could share my broken wrist & knots on back of my hand from mags -starter motor on cats kick hard!- revueing my old boniville tapes it would appeat that other people have mag problems besides me- which brings up another question--why do people run jerico transmissions when it would appear that they break quite often??????I was going to use GM -4 sp w/ granny lo as in trk pulling they seem to be indestruable.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
Russ, I too have been involved in setting fuel records on gas... it's fun to mess with them.
but I've also set a few records with a Jerico transmission, guess it all depends on what your doing.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »
why do people run jerico transmissions

Gear Ratios & Gear Splits-- to keep the eng where it can do something besides spinning the tires
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »
.................. which brings up another question--why do people run jerico transmissions when it would appear that they break quite often??????I was going to use GM -4 sp w/ granny lo as in trk pulling they seem to be indestruable.

I wasn't aware of the breakage.  Like Sparky said, besides the 1 to 1 gear the others can be picked from a very large array and 3rd can even be setup as an overdrive.  We are doing that with the G-Force Hooley just bought.

With that 4 sp GM 1st is probably worthless and 2nd might still be too low and you will be stuck with what ever gear ratios GM felt were good for 2nd and 3rd and of course 4th is going to be 1 to 1.  It will work, but if you are going for the best possible speed tuning the transmission to your needs can be almost as important as the motor.

If you can't change the gears then you might have to change the cam to get where you want to go.

c ya,

Sum

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »
.................. which brings up another question--why do people run jerico transmissions when it would appear that they break quite often??????I was going to use GM -4 sp w/ granny lo as in trk pulling they seem to be indestruable.

I wasn't aware of the breakage.

If you can't change the gears then you might have to change the cam to get where you want to go.
as far as breakage- I'm just going by whats on the bville tape I have--------
haven't got a cam to change- change cranks relation to change power band- I love torgue over a wide range so think gm will be ok- low is worthless-I know of somebody running a glide and they only have 2 gears and a wide spread at that, converter may cover some of that up- side note - I didn't think a glide could stand up to hemi but he told me  it has been.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »

He could have been running picric acid,
[/quote]-----this has been bugging me all day- haven't used any for a while  but isn't that the white powder in the core of det cord???? burns @ 4 mi/sec-

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2007, 08:27:55 PM »
this has been bugging me all day- haven't used any for a while  but isn't that the white powder in the core of det cord?
Detonation cord these days is an explosive called PETN that is in the range of 5 miles per second. Picric acid is sensitive to shock and friction in its dry form. It does mix with nitromethane. Wet picric acid is more stable. It is also a high explosive. For that matter so is nitromethane when it is contained. Like in a cylinder. (Low explosives burn with a subsonic flame front as in an internal combustion engine on gas. High exposives detonate from a shock wave detonation which is supersonic and propagates through shock compression.)

In the late 50's and 60's when I   they were experimenting with fuels, as soon as you learned the size of the bang mattered, things that made bigger bangs were immediately on the shopping list. There wasn't an Internet to find out an MSDS sheet on the chemical, you just got wind of a name and in the tank it went.
When the bang became boom better heads prevailed and outlawed them.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline hitz

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2007, 11:08:41 PM »
Wow!

That must have been where the term "blown engine came from!"

Harv

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2007, 12:21:47 AM »
Can we be sure it started out as an engine?

John

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »
sure hope this wasn't your motor- ya supose the crank was salvagble????

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »
Sum

I've heard you mention several times about using an OD ratio as the third gear in Hooley's trans.  Is that because the top gear must always be 1:1, or is there some other reason?  You will use the OD as the final drive gear, right?

John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
I use a Tex Racing 4-sp. They have lot of outdated NASCAR Aluminum ones stored. They made mine with an overdrive. It's in the 3rd gear spot. 3/4 shifter arm is just upside down. With a chrat they sent me I was able to select my own gears. For me I went with a 1.60, 1.23, 1 & .96. For $75 a set I can get many OD combos .92, .90, .88, .86 etc. You can get the picture. The guys are easy to work with. The trans is hell for stout and you shift like you stole it. We do not use the clutch for the last shift. Do for the first 2 as to not spin out the car...Good Luck

PS: If you think only a couple of guys use these ....think again
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »
Sum

I've heard you mention several times about using an OD ratio as the third gear in Hooley's trans.  Is that because the top gear must always be 1:1, or is there some other reason?  You will use the OD as the final drive gear, right?

John

Yep just like J.D. said except ours are:

1st = 1.923,  2nd = 1.331, 3rd = 1.000 (the original 4th) and 4th = 0.931 (where the 3rd gear set normally resides).  Like he said they can setup the shifter so you have a normal H pattern.  You can also go with a ratchet type shifter, but we wanted to be able to go from any gear directly to neutral if needed.

JD with the G-force the highest 1st I could find was the 1.923 I'm surprised you could find the  1.6.

Before with the muncie's 2.2 1st we pushed the car to about 45 before it pulled away.  Now we will probably push 5 mph faster or so, but will adjust that as we go.  My truck can get the car up to 45-50 in a pretty short distance, so that works.

The motor wouldn't really pull but a little past 7000 last year even thought the HP peak is about 7400 with our present cam.  That was with 8 lbs. boost.  We hope with 14 lbs or so to pull the 7400, but the way it is geared now with the new transmission 7000 is 257 mph in 4th and 7500 is 256 mph in 3rd.  Our goal is a little over 250 this year, so depending on how the motor pulls at the higher boost we have too options to get there, less rpm in 4th or more rpm in 3rd.  We will only loose about 300-400 rpm on the 3-4 shift.

Like JD said there is about every gear ratio you could ever want in each gear to select from except for the one gear that has to be 1 to 1.  Their 5 speed works the same way with one gear 1 to 1 and most of the rest can be overdrives or underdrives.   I wanted a 5 speed at first, but after guidance from Tom can see it wouldn't do much for us.  A high 200-300 mph car could make better use of it.

c ya,

Sum

Offline John Burk

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2007, 01:59:07 AM »
Dean's photo is what could happen if you tried getting away with an iron street hemi blocks in a top fueler . The main webs would start to crack after half a dozen runs . Most people used the ductile race blocks Chrysler made . I have a shot like that of a local fellow's top fueler who ran street hemi blocks . Sam was part of why Barret Jackson get's so much for hemi cars .

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »
Quote from: Dean Los Angeles l

If the ground is shakin; and the flames are green, he must be using that Hydrazine
[/quote
-- why are the flames green?? hydrazine is just N & H - also why such a loud exh note?- local outfit is selling diesels to some calif outfit -set up to run on anhydrous amonia; which  one first glance doesn't appeat that much dif than hydrazne- its a gas like  LP instead of liguid -  only combustion agent is hydrogen= no CO2.