Author Topic: Fuel or Gasoline  (Read 24299 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel or Gasoline
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 08:55:29 PM »
Well I guess all I can say is...

SORRY!
 :-D    :evil:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »
:

To Hawkwind: Note that the method that is used today for octane ratings was not in effect in WWII. Remember the rating of 115/145 for aviation fuel?

Toluene burns very greasy. Not good for BBQs! :

2 dif things here- toluene is an excellent charcol starter- just got to be careful not to be in hurry putting steak on to fast as it leaves a very distintive flavor ..    next --I ran a lot of 115/130 green av gas and that was long after ww11 -  the 130/145 was never avaible around here- {my tank takes 80/85}  Ratings on 115/130 must be real close  as customer always filled cell up @ airport and they didn't tell him when they switched to 100 lo lead- first heat {stock car} smashed 2  trws down to oil ring across from the plug{open chamber bbc}                             
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 12:37:48 AM »
 from the little experience I've had a Mag is a must
[/quote]I must be missing something here-? once chrysler came out w/ electronic ign I have run it on everything- including starter motor on d-8- one of my high comp bbc went to a minirod puller-he didn't have much weigh to play w/ {batt & keeping voltage up}so he got a carillo mag- called from state fair after first hook- soon as weight started to get him fire went out- had been running .024 gap on plugs - thought about it - told him to try gapping plugs to .016=presto away we go-later he tried to widen gap to .018 and pulled a miss under heavy load.and that seemed to be a nasty mag -must have had a gear set as it wasn't strt like vertex- would knock you down turning by hand.p/s he never had miss or ign problems w/ the chrysler  ign except if voltage got low..

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 05:06:04 AM »
personally Im a fan of toluene ,have used it as my enrichment fuel with a wet nitrous system , excellent results, but reading the plugs was a challenge  :-o,also tried toluene/ meta xylene  and toluene / acetone  with no problems as well
I have now switched over to methanol exclusively as this for me is the best all round (price, performance and results )
Gary
slower than most

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:45 AM »
Russ. Sorry I didn't understand a word you said. All I know is when you get up to the % of nitro we were running a change of a 2 amp mag to over a 5 amp one made the difference of 20 mph. I've never ran naturally aspirated straight alcohol (what's the point). Every naturally aspirerated high nitro engine I've seen, runs a mag...On gasoline I continue to run some style of a battery ignition.

However, I have lead a very sheltered life.....J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
Russ. Sorry I didn't understand a word you said.
mags suck - give lots of trouble& don't seem to have near the fire that electronic igh has- hence example of how little a gap a good mag will fire compared to chrysler eletronic on - same eng.. chrysler electronic would fire .024 gap plug while mag would only manage .016...russ.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:39:21 PM by russ jensen »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »
"Tradition unhampered by progress."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

aswracing

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 10:23:06 PM »
For Harleys, there are electronic systems that are specifically made for nitro.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 10:45:25 PM »
For Harleys, there are electronic systems that are specifically made for nitro.
ya we used to run joe hunt mags on harleys & they sucked to- with a little effort any eng can be graced by the first & still as good as any chrysler system & its the cheapest also.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:14 PM »
It's apparent Russ has no use for a mag.   :|
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2007, 11:06:08 AM »
90%+!!

A couple of years ago when the Fergusons were running the 3 port head on their liner motor, I asked Donnie how much nito percentage he was putting in the tank. His reply was "If this was the NHRA it wouldn't be legal!" At the time the max percentage in NHRA was 90%. I think that he ran 290+ and a new record also.
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2007, 05:12:50 PM »
Rex, I bet Russ will say that Fergs could do better with Chrysler lectronic. :-D...

About the time Fergs was running his GMC on 90% in his lakester with a 1 to 2 amp mag we were running the same. He borrowed a JOE HUNT 5 amp from Doug Robinson and I borrowed a 5 amp from Don Peirson who had bought the old Bruce Johnston oval tracker.  We both gained about 15 mph. Fontana had is Don Zig converted by JOE HUNT and so did the Fergs....Ours never failed and put my son and I in the 2 club. One of JOE HUNTS put Fontana in the 2 club last year with his 12 Port GMC in the Ferguson Liner. Don lll went over 300 in the liner on a load of fuel with one of their own 12 Ports. All of these use the 5 amp HUNT Mags along with all of Doug Robinsons 32 Coupe the only one one we know who can easily do it.. 

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »
90%+!!
 At the time the max percentage in NHRA was 90%.
back in the good old days when 392's were king{ or stroker versions therof] gartlis was reported to be running 100% spiked w/ nitric acid - may have been true? - as one of the locals was w/ hoover @ pamona - sitting in trk on big end @ when big daddy came to line their tools were jumping around  on floor of trk- lot of people tipped the can higher that day & a lot of motors broke.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »
One of the combustion products of nitromethane is nitric acid. The main reason for a gas mask. Adding it to the fuel isn't going to add power. Any alkalines in the fuel increase the risk of explosion, to nitric acid will make the fuel safer over the long run.
He could have been running picric acid, propylene oxide or hydrazine. All were in use at one time or another.

If the ground is shakin; and the flames are green, he must be using that Hydrazine
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2007, 11:04:05 PM »
   :mrgreen:If the ground is shakin; and the flames are green, he must be using that Hydrazine :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dean---is that the precursor of RAP
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!