Author Topic: Fuel or Gasoline  (Read 24295 times)

stayt`ie

Fuel or Gasoline
« on: January 24, 2007, 05:43:18 AM »
"Shell Racing Fuel 100, (avgas), High Octane Petrol for high compression engines",,,, is it a fuel or is it gasoline????

dwarner

Re: Fuel or Gasoline
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:12 AM »
What does the test unit the DLRA uses say?

DW

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »
Ronnie, don't know what your rulebook says, but here anything other than meet supplied gasoline is "fuel" whether its 87 octane unleaded or nitromethane.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
I don't know if it's fuel or gas. But I do know it's $25 a gal. :x
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
Detroit right now has the lowest gas prices in the country, according to the radio -- $1.87.9 gallon.  Ours are $2.04.9 gallon.  C16 was $12 at World of Speed '06.  Diesel up here is $2.48.9/gallon.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »
Jon,

You used C16? I thought you had to use ERC, they were there werrn't they?

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »
Dang, Dan, you're quick!  At SpeedWeek we ran the C16 that Mike had tuned and dynoed the bike on back in the shop.  That's why we ran fuel class.  At WoS we used Rick's A8C.  That was $12/gallon.

There -- is that better?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:16:46 PM »
To continue the story:

For what it's worth, Mike had tuned the bike on fresh-bought C16.  We took some with us and ran the bike on it. 

We didn't make any changes between SpeedWeek and World of Speed -- and, using ERC A8C (which is "supposedly" pretty close to C16 -- we ran a couple of mph faster.  (Yeah, I know, my record at WoS is slower -- but my return run was into that nasty headwind the last day of runs).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

stayt`ie

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:45:48 PM »
the only test unit at gairdner that i am aware off is the breathilizer :-D,, our rule book is?appears to be wide open on this subject, it needs absloute clear direction given the many cocktails on the market :evil:, how you police it at bonneville would be the way to go,,, however i am told that anything with a "dielectric value" of less than 2.3 is classed as gasoline,, sooo what is the d`value of 100,????

Offline poppy

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 07:01:19 PM »
I don't know aboout the price of gas in Detroit but I topped off a $1.759 in Burnsville, MN this afternoon.

Poppy

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 09:14:59 PM »
We don't test gas at Bonneville as the entrant is required to use "event" gas and the use is controlled.

At El Mirage I take a base line sample of ERC A18 in the morning and test against that as the day goes on. We are getting a new test unit this year that has a definitive reading for each gas to be sampled. If the gas tested is not within the spec called by the test unit manufacturer then it is illegal. This unit is the same one used by the motorcycle side and I don't have any experience with it yet.

Maybe someone who has dealth with the motorcycle tech and gas can comment.

DW

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 11:03:20 PM »
Dan,

Is the instrument used a dielectric constant device? I am assuming that it is and the DC given by the mfg of the fuel is the guideline that you (or someone) follows. IF the DC tester is used in some type fuel or another, is it then washed with cyclohexane or something like that?  :|

I was just wondering. There are some basic beauties in running other than gasoline.  :lol:

Regards to All,
HB2

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:35:48 AM »
"Shell Racing Fuel 100, (avgas), High Octane Petrol for high compression engines",,,, is it a fuel or is it gasoline????

Ronnie  for DLRA  purposes its a 'gas'  any unleaded or leaded petrol is a 'gas'  octane is irrelevant ,any petrol with oxygenates  added greater than 2.5%  is a 'Fuel' , but as you well know we do not test (yet)  we have no test equipment  (yet) we have no volunteers to test even if we did have a way to test , Im trying to entice a fuel supplier to make the trek out each year , but they are as scarce as hens teeth and are only concerned with making a profit ,which the DLRA would have to underwrite ( not going to happen) ,so untill we reach the dizzy heights of the SCTA tech , grin and bear it  :-P
Gary
slower than most

stayt`ie

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 05:08:56 AM »
"its a gas man, thats cool bro" :-D, no seriously, thanks garry, i didn`t expect for you to clarify the ruling on this site,,, i have contacted the manufactures about the d`value, and got a blank "huh" in reply,,, so thats why i asked the question on this site, i thought with the racing population in the states that somewon with chemical knowledge about "go juice" could answer my question :roll:,, i have always taken great pride in the fact that all the records i have set have been done 100% within the rules, and this shell 100 stuff had been worring me,,,

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:22:06 AM »
Cheating is easy.
Finding it is harder.
Living with yourself is not possible among friends.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"