Author Topic: can i run these tires in SCTA meets  (Read 10466 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: can i run these tires in SCTA meets
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 09:32:05 AM »
15" sounds nice when you are looking for small, but the overall diameter of the 15's and 16's are about the same as the 17's. Everything seems to bottom out about 22" diameter.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
sockjohn,
I wouldn't be super concerned about finding the absolute skinniest front tire to reduce frontal area. Unless you are extremly short and skinny like a snake(I have seen a few snakes racing...)  the big stuff behind your front tire will dictate your frontal area. No need to run a 1.75 wide bicycle tire to go faster... :-D

I am as skinny as a snake, just a tall one!  :-D

I have to go skinny on the front due to the fork, unless I swap forks.  I'm not sure swapping the fork is worth the cost and effort for a marginally wider tire. 

I am probably going to run the 125cc racing slicks, have found size that will fit and seems to be recommended here anyway.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 11:18:51 AM »
If you can find undamaged used ones that are not profiled to 1 side like a Daytona takeoff they are not only better because they are conditioned (broken in )but might save shaving.
Used from Datona just require enough shaving to balance the thickness of the unsupported tread.
If you don't look too anxious you can often get them free or at least for cheep.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 06:30:57 PM »
Jack is right on here, that is what i have done as well. If the tires you buy are from a guy who knows how to ride, hopefully most of the tread that is missing due to shaving or wear is on the sides, leaving most of the meat in the middle...Free to $20 seems to be the going rate. One thing to look at is teh compound though. Dont get a qualifying tire and for sure don't get a rain tire. The Pirellis for example have SC1 Sc2 Sc3 and so on, the SC1 being super soft. The SC3 is labeled as Medium compound but is a very long lasting tire. If there are hard compund tires out there, they would be much harder to find.