Author Topic: Jr. Dragster wheels tires for Sidecar  (Read 16784 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
Re: Jr. Dragster wheels tires for Sidecar
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 01:44:03 PM »
Hi Beebe,

There are small mini-roadracers that use H rated tires. :-)
Cheng Shin makes a 3.50-10 CS HI - MAX :lol:
DOT UYBF
4-Ply Rated
430 LB Load rating at 36 psi cold

The tire is tubless but I have tubes in mine and am using steel spoke rims on both my sidecar rigs. 8-)

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »
bak189, is that the kart tire we talked about before? Goodyear Bluestreaks? Bridgstones? Burris? Dunlop? They are ALL really good tires rated for racing purposes only but I couldn't guess at any speed rating. :-)

bak189

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »
No the Goodyear tire is not a kart tire......It was developed and made to run on the front of Dragsters in the 1980......"Big Daddy" ran them on the front of his Dragster.......I have been told they do not use
5 inch wheels on the front anymore......something about the way it trips the clocks at the end of the 1/4 mile.   I have also been told that Goodyear no longer makes this tire, due to no market
for them ........but there are still some around

Offline beebe

• Esquire
  • New folks
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!

I asked about some Dunlop TT91 10" mini-race tires but nobody knows the speed rating for them??

I was also looking at aircraft wheels, but the smaller ones are only rated at 120mph ground speed.

Hey Terry, is that Cheng Shin H-rated? What's the UYBF stand for? Is there a website or something that has the speed ratings? The only small tires I've seen ratings for were Pirelli's at P-rating.

From what I've seen they have the rating right on the sidewall, but nobody around here has tires in stock to look at and none of the websites have pictures good enough...

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 08:25:01 PM »
If you use a tire with a DOT speed rating the tire has been tested at far above rated loads for a long period of time.

We should assume that racing tires have been tested in the same fashion. Even if the tire is branded "racing", all that means is that it isn't DOT rated. What is the maximum speed for that tire? You would have to contact the manufacturer. I have yet to see a speed rating for most racing tires. Despite the racing label, you have to look at the top speed the tire is likely to see in that form of racing.
Goodyear recommends a maximum speed of 300 mph for the Eagle Land Speed tires, but no ratings for the Top Fuel tire.
The killer for tires at high speed is centrifugal force tearing the tire apart. Shaving is a tried and true method to reduce the amount of rubber and centrifugal force on the tire. Smaller diameter is better. Even though the kart tire will be spinning 7,000 rpm at 200 mph it's less likely to come apart.

In 1980 Australian Rosco McGlashan built and drove a hydrogen peroxide rocket kart that surpassed 253 mph! Rosco has gone 315 mph in a jet dragster and 643 mph in the Aussie Invader 2 rocket car.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:33:22 PM by Dean Los Angeles »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 06:30:33 PM »
The killer for tires at high speed is centrifugal force tearing the tire apart . . .  Smaller diameter is better. Even though the kart tire will be spinning 7,000 rpm at 200 mph it's less likely to come apart.
No. Centrifugal force is proportional to the radius times the square of the RPM. Thus a wheel of half the radius of another, turning at twice the RPM, (giving the same ground speed), will get twice the centrifugal force. Think of a really big wheel, the earth, rotating with a ground speed of 1000 MPH. Not much centrifugal force - you're not noticeably lighter at the equator versus the poles.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:49:51 PM by tortoise »

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »
 :-D Ah Ha, So what's the answer to why my 20,000 RPM sander throws the 4" dia sanding disks apart but my 2" disks will hang together?  :? I still feel certain that a roadracing Kart tire would do just fine at speeds up to 200 mph. Back in the dark ages (late 70's) a friend had a twin engine C-Open Kart that was running 187 mph down the mile long back straight at Garnet, KS. He ran that speed with hard breaking and heavy side loads for an hour + practice. NO tire problems. The tires he was running were Good Year Bluestreaks. There are better tires than that now, so why not use Kart tires? :|

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »
there is nothing wrong with using them. You dont have to convince us or yourself if they are good enuff... you just have to convince the tech guys!!!! It is a far easier road to sell something that is over built and proven than something that should be good enuff. That said I run the small 8" top fuel tires on my sidecar and never had an eyebrow raised! I think Dean had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the ok on his cart tire. Do yourself a favor and save tech guestions, get piece of mind, and get the fuel tires! I have found them online, 2 wheels with mounted tires and 2 brand new tires I paid $200.
yours in sport
Kent

Offline tortoise

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 05:27:26 PM »
:-D Ah Ha, So what's the answer to why my 20,000 RPM sander throws the 4" dia sanding disks apart but my 2" disks will hang together?  :?
Same rpm, twice the radius, twice the centrifugal force. Why the  :??

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 05:47:27 PM »
:-D Ah Ha, So what's the answer to why my 20,000 RPM sander throws the 4" dia sanding disks apart but my 2" disks will hang together?  :?
Same rpm, twice the radius, twice the centrifugal force. Why the  :??
If both were wheels with the same ground speed the RPM would be quite something else between them .
If the construction methods and materials were the same I bet I could predict the outcome.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"