Author Topic: Cylinder pump procedure - question?  (Read 13688 times)

dwarner

Re: Cylinder pump procedure - question?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 08:33:01 AM »
Thanks JD, I was away for a while. Amazing how much transpires in such a short period of time.

JD has told you guys that there is no need to make your own bore/stroke tools. Your continued support of LSR with your entry fees and dues has allowed the impound group to purchase tools to help the process.

Both car and motorcycle impounds have a bore/stroke tool that will measure an engine without disassembly. The spark plug MUST be in the center of the combustion chamber on the engine being measured. The mentioned air pump is best used on an OHV engine, can be used on certain OHC. The valves of the cylinder being measured must be disabled so that the volumn of the cylinder can be verified. This is done by spinning the engine over until the volumn of the cylinder equals the volumn in a marked cylinder which is directly connected via a spark plug adapter and hose. The key here is that the valves must have a good seal as well as the head gasket. A common sight will be the beaker not equalizing and the indicator puck continue to move beyond the cylinder displacement. This means that we are measuring the total crankcase volumn because of a ring or head gasket problem.

A sample of an engine that must be disassembled is the 5.0 Ford with 5 valves. The plug is not centered in the cylinder and the cams cannot be disabled with the engine in the car. We have measured Offy and the like with the dipstick tools. The bottom line is that we try to make he process as easy as possible for you and us.

DW

I am curious

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
Did he tell you how much beer to have in stock?  If not, be sitting down when he does.

And worse still -- the beers are for AFTER the engine is measured.

Yup -  so lets assume you made a mistake and you measure out to big -  too bad, you stillgotta pour alot of premium beer down alot of thirsty gullets -  when your pissed off!

smart guys have 2 coolers prepped!  1 with cheap pensylvania Pi$$ water - the other with the good stuff -  bring out whatever is appropriate!
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:23 PM »
My thanks also to Jack D for explaining how to make a tool to measure bore and stroke through the spark plug hole!!  Not too difficult either!

Now, I too am awaiting the day I can get into impound and show somebody how it works!!

Thanks. Jack.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 11:09:17 PM »
Will this work on a 2 stroke motor?  I'm guessing not -  so in that case you pull the head and measure?

Carl Johansson

Thanks JD, I was away for a while. Amazing how much transpires in such a short period of time.

JD has told you guys that there is no need to make your own bore/stroke tools. Your continued support of LSR with your entry fees and dues has allowed the impound group to purchase tools to help the process.

Both car and motorcycle impounds have a bore/stroke tool that will measure an engine without disassembly. The spark plug MUST be in the center of the combustion chamber on the engine being measured. The mentioned air pump is best used on an OHV engine, can be used on certain OHC. The valves of the cylinder being measured must be disabled so that the volumn of the cylinder can be verified. This is done by spinning the engine over until the volumn of the cylinder equals the volumn in a marked cylinder which is directly connected via a spark plug adapter and hose. The key here is that the valves must have a good seal as well as the head gasket. A common sight will be the beaker not equalizing and the indicator puck continue to move beyond the cylinder displacement. This means that we are measuring the total crankcase volumn because of a ring or head gasket problem.

A sample of an engine that must be disassembled is the 5.0 Ford with 5 valves. The plug is not centered in the cylinder and the cams cannot be disabled with the engine in the car. We have measured Offy and the like with the dipstick tools. The bottom line is that we try to make he process as easy as possible for you and us.

DW

I am curious

Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JGMagoo

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »
Carl,

The 'pump procedure' would NOT work on a 2-stroke because the fluid would be running out the holes in the sides of the cylinder.

However, the 'through the sparkplug hole' method would probably work as long as there was a straight shot down vertically to the piston through the sparkplug hole.

But, I've never seen a 2-stroke that it was too difficult to pull the head on.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »
A tool for bore can be easily be made for an engine which has a top spark plug that is NOT in the center. The piston must be flat or dished. I can explan it over the phone if needed. Stroke would still be done with one of our tools. Good Luck...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 12:52:53 AM »
After the bore tool you made is installed through the plug hole in the center of the head, the piston can be raised above all the side ports and it will work also.
Pulling the head on a 2 smoke is usually pretty easy.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 01:01:01 AM »
the one I am working on has no head- looks like will be a real hassel to verify- how much time is allowed for this??
Pulling the head on a 2 smoke is usually pretty easy.
[/quote]
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

dwarner

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
Carl,

Is the plug in the ccenter of the cylinder? If so, no problem.

Another question I have is, why would someone make a bore tool when it is already available?

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 11:15:36 AM »
Carl,

Is the plug in the ccenter of the cylinder? If so, no problem.

Another question I have is, why would someone make a bore tool when it is already available?

DW
It is better , faster, and the entrant owns it.

Tag Your it.  LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline poppy

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 03:40:26 PM »
How about pictures or drawings of these tools for all of us to see.

Poppy :?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing drawings too!

Thanks,
Pete

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 06:06:12 PM »
We didn't build it, we bought it. For symplicity, it flares out from a center "stick" which goes thru the spark plug hole. There are locking sliders on it for mimicking it's demenision in the bore. Kinda like the wind of a subway air vent blowing under Marilyn Monroes skirt. (yes, I am a dirty old man).

Ours works thru the standard small Chevrolet spark plug hole but not always in some of the real trick small motorcycle plugs. So if you have one of these, beware.

It's always best to know your bore and stroke and keep it inyour log book for the class engine size you are running for that meet. Good Luck............J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 07:03:45 PM »
The bore device that you make and own has only 2 parts and can fit a 10mm spark plug hole with ease.

Tag, Your it.

NOTE FOR KENT: This will be written in GIBBERISH so as not to make it available to the side pluggers that can't read it.  LOL
What is your bore size actual and class limit based on your stroke ?
Remember this is about the car and does not have the overbore allowance for the sissies.
I will make you a set if you can post the pictures.
Deal?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 08:21:01 PM »
I will make you a set if you can post the pictures.
Deal?

He doesn't know how to post pictures  :evil:, but I do  :wink:.  I'd better be careful maybe he does now  8-).

c ya,

Sum