Author Topic: engine diaper  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Bob Drury

engine diaper
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »
This question would be directed toward Dan and J.D.:
   I am trying to figure out how to put a engine diaper on my CFALT.  The problem is that between the headers, dry sump pump with six stages, belt driven water pump, and more hoses than you can believe, I cannot figure out how to build or have one built from fabric.  What I would like to do is fabricate a 3/16 inch thick steel pan that would encompass the entire engine up to the front of the dry sump pulley.  If I suspended this pan with webbed straps, so that it was not solidly attached to the frame, would it be construed as a illegal belly pan?  My buddy, Ty Baxter, deflated his front tire very quickly with a chunk of connecting rod exiting his engine.  Luckily he brought it to a stop, but I wouldn't want to try this at 200+.  Thanx, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: engine diaper
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »
how much suspension and how much will the drip pan flutter and move around on a run.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »
Glen, my thought is to form a 3/16" steel pan with a minimum of 1" turned up on all sides. I would slot the sides and run 2 or 3" webbing thru the slots on the sides and around the frame members.  I could, if neccesary, also run straps under the pan which would be pulled up tight to the oil pan.  I run my suspension bottomed out so there is little if any travel.  Thanks, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 02:03:49 PM »
Bob,
   What is the exact reason for the diaper? Is it to keep flying parts from your tires? Just curious.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:26:27 PM »
Tom, as I said in my original post, it would be a ballistic shield, but it would also hopefully contain any fluids from a catastrophic parts failure.  How many cars have lost a tire running over someone elses parts?  In Ty's case, a piece of connecting rod shot out into his front tire, so who knows if a shield would have helped, but it sure couldn't hurt.  There are absorbent pads in the fabric type diapers, and hopefully I could attach them in the pan.  Once again, the problem I have is there is just no place to attach a fabric one on my engine, without wrapping it tighe to the headers, which isn't a option.
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
Tom, I guess I forgot to state that in my original post.  Sorry...........
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 04:30:28 PM »
Bob,
  No problem. I had the same idea but the thought of fire keeps me from doing it. Since you run a dry sump the chances of a oil fire are not as bad, as with a wet sump.
  Good luck on whatever you do.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
Bob
A couple of months ago Dan Hostetter put a drawing in the Bonneville Racing News showing the deflectors he added to his coupe to do the same thing. It looked like a pretty easy method to keep engine debris away from the tires etc. If you don't take the paper I can get you dan's phone and he will probably send you a copy of his drawing. Let me know.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RICK

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
I just noticed that NHRA made the engine diaper a "REQUIRED" on super gas classes on up, so chances are a lot of companys will start making them. Too much safety stuff is.......... What am I saying? You can't have too much safety stuff!

RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:24:45 PM »
I think the biggest plus of running a diaper has got to be for the guy running after you.  The safety crew does a hell of a job patroling the salt, but a small piece of aluminum or steel can sure ruin your day.  One more thing, many cars and bikes running don't have spare tires with them.  Believe me, I DO.
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 12:31:02 PM »
Seeing as this thread has sort of stalled out, I guess I will rephrase it.  Is this a topic that can be answered by one person, such as the class category chair, or would it have to be answered by the Competition Rules Committee as a vote?  I would hate to show up in impound (note the bravado!) to find out it isn't legal by defenition of whomever is manning the inspection at that point.  Thanx, Bob
Bob Drury

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 12:50:53 PM »
Bob,

Why don't you submit drawings to the Committee Chair. That would be a good starting spot.

DW

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »
Dan, thanx for pointing me in the right direction.  I will follow up.  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
I sorta have personaal experience with this. I gernaded :-o my engine in my lakester at the 1.5 during speedweek. When I got it stopped, oil was dripping out from frt. to back. The headers are completely outside the outer skin--resuling in NO FIRE :-D.  I check the outer skin found no holes, called the tower as soon as I had a CB and reported that I had only left oil on the coarse.. I will put 1/4" removeable plate below and on the frame rails beside my motor just for this reason ---I feel lucky that no parts penetrated the outer skin, for me to run over---I only have two 30" M/Ts --havent been able to buy any others.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 11:55:25 AM »
Since SCTA is selective about the SFI rules they adopt, I would suggest this requirement start with the drawings and performance specifications that SFi has spent so much time and money on and see if it meets the needs of LSR.
It could be the information might only be available to it's members.
If it is valid for recip motors that fail parts, should it apply equally across the field ?
Should it be a rule or a recommendation ?
Does it come under the belly pan rules ?

INTERESTING
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"