Author Topic: wheels - spacesavers? Taylor Wheels - Gone?  (Read 10360 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: wheels - spacesavers? are they OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »
I think the misunderstanding is the fact they don't want you to go faster than 50mph on the tire so they don't rate the wheel any faster.   
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 02:30:58 PM »
I think the misunderstanding is the fact they don't want you to go faster than 50mph on the tire so they don't rate the wheel any faster.   
Doug Odom in big ditch
Honestly, with some of them I would not go faster than 50 mph - I remember some years ago - in the workshop of my tire dealer, they tried to balance one of this spacesaver wheels for a customer - needs him 150 gramm on one side, and on the other (on a different spot) another 75 gramm.............. :|
Well, great quality.... :wink:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline hitz

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »
Bought 8 spacesaver rims at the pick and pull.
Picked the 4 best and welded them up.
Chamfered the lug seats to match the 45 degree tapers on the 1" lug nut.
Mounted up the M&H's fronts on the front.
Mounted up the MT fronts on the back.
Going to be real careful and drive slow. :wink:

Harv

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 10:37:51 AM »
well first of all-,
when I was working my way through college I got a job as a shuttle van driver for saturn -  when they were starting up -  I would drive their employees around between their various meetings and buildings scattered around detroit and the suburbs.  I had a load of engineers tell me very emphatically that the spacesaver tires were just as safe as a normal setup -  and were tested the same -  but because of the size and the funny look -  they put the stickers on -  limited liability and made sense to people looking at the puny things -  but no basis in reality.  BTW is it just me and my twisted sense of humor -  why do I have this overwhelming desire to leave the warning stickers on the rim -?

remember we aren't interested in the tires -  we are only interested in the rims -  and it sounds like you taker the normal rim and weld up the cenmter -  and you have a very strong safe rim -

am I reading this right guys?

and taylor made wheels will weld em up for me?  is that what I'm reading?

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
I don't know if I would run fast on the stock centers. The stock ones I have around the shop to roll cars around on have 10 holes in them for 2 different bolt patterns. That's one reason I have them around. There are gaps in the center in 4 places where it is welded to the outer rim. Taylor uses 5/16 steel centers and are welded 360 degrees. Then they are put into a large press and straightened.
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 02:15:08 PM »
Carl,
It looks like Saturn and Ford engineers have said the same thing about the space saver wheels being the same strength as normal road going wheels.  I guess the Ford engineer actually does know what he is doing.   :=d
I'll bet the rim is stamped with the DOT numbers also, indicating they are made and tested to specific standards.  (mine were/are)
I think your plans to use these wheels is just fine.  Actually having Taylor put in solid  5/16" centers and insuring latteral runnout by stamping, or "coining" as production wheel manufacturers do is good insurance.  My lakester and Liner wheels were made by Hoppy Hopkins, and needed a bit of straightening after welding.  After making my latest wheels he indicated that he is retiring from the race wheel business.  I have not talked to him for a number of years though.
Good luck with your project.

Rick
Rick

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 07:46:09 PM »
I don't know if any of the rest of you have tried Marsh Racing Wheels in Arkansas or not, but Hooley is running their wheels on his Stude and I had them make up wheels for my lakester, untested at this point.  I've never checked the run-out and I don't think Hooley has either but they have worked fine.

They were way less than anyplace else I found.  I think about $60.00 a wheel and they made up 2 of mine with 4 hole centers to work with the Datsun rear I'm using.  The front 2 are ford bolt pattern and they worked with me to get the best offset to help with the scrub radius.

They were quick and very responsive to helping us get what we needed.

You can find them here:

http://www.mrt-wheels.com/

If anyone else has worked with them and has been happy or unhappy I'd like to here about your experience.

c ya,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 11:42:14 PM »
Sorry guys but I just can't imagine anyone not checking the runout of a wheel of a land speed car. It should be done on the car at the spot it will be used...When perfectly true then mount the tire and check it again on the the car to make sure the mounting did not change it. Every steel wheel I have bought for LSR has been a bad and needed work to start out right.

Has any ever really looked at a spacer saver tire. The 15's look like M & H's to me. I've had to cut them off with a cut off wheel. I'll bet if one of them was shaved down, perfectly round and balenced you could go 300 on one. They have the stongest sidewall I've ever seen. Maybe some one will spin one someday and really tell us what they are worth.

IMO The 50 mph limit is for the cars differential, and miss sizing from stock diameter as they need to fit on any position an the stock car. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline hitz

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »
Diddo on everything JD says here. The spave savers are very similer to the M&H's but the space savers hold air better. Next trip to the barn I think I'll compare the weight.

Harv
Sorry guys but I just can't imagine anyone not checking the runout of a wheel of a land speed car. It should be done on the car at the spot it will be used...When perfectly true then mount the tire and check it again on the the car to make sure the mounting did not change it. Every steel wheel I have bought for LSR has been a bad and needed work to start out right.

Has any ever really looked at a spacer saver tire. The 15's look like M & H's to me. I've had to cut them off with a cut off wheel. I'll bet if one of them was shaved down, perfectly round and balenced you could go 300 on one. They have the stongest sidewall I've ever seen. Maybe some one will spin one someday and really tell us what they are worth.

IMO The 50 mph limit is for the cars differential, and miss sizing from stock diameter as they need to fit on any position an the stock car. Good Luck

Offline hitz

Re: wheels - spacesavers? Taylor Wheels - Gone?
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 10:30:22 PM »
I weighed a M&H 22X15 tire made by the original makers.and a spacesaver made by US Royal with the same dimension. They weighed the same .. 12# on my scale.

I purchased 2 M&H 22X15 Drag fronts a year ago or so, from Summit. Summit advertised them as tubeless, nondirectional racing tires. When they came they said tube type and had a large directional arrow on them. I called Summit and they said they contacted the tire manufactuer and were told the tires were tubeless and non-directional. Yesterday I read the fine print and the not so fine print and it said DOT and maximum air pressure 32 #. These tires are now marketed by Interco Tire Corp., in Louisiana. I checked on line and Summit no longer carries The M&H front runners and has a hell of a sale on all of the M&H slicks. I'm going to call Summit in the morning and see what I can find out. Not a happy camper here. Anybody else know anything about this??

Harv

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: wheels - spacesavers? Taylor Wheels - Gone?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 10:41:28 AM »
Hitz,
I would call Nate SR. at Cowboy Tire Co. Signal Hill CA.
562-597-3369
562-597-3360 fx?

I have had this issue with other b :-)rand tires---mounted them--ran them 200 with out tubes---no issues---hope to run them 225----soon.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!