Author Topic: SCTA Record Integrity  (Read 13862 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: SCTA Record Integrity
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2006, 04:09:18 PM »
If you run FIA, the center of the measured distance is for both, the kilo and the mile the same - in other words, at first you drive in the flying mile, than after around 300 yards you cross the starting line of the kilo, when you leave the kilo you got another 300 yards to leave the mile. This is FIA RULE, no other measurement for the kilo and mile is allowed.
Normally, to FIA rule, is the flying kilo/mile in the center of the course, so that, as a example, the course is 11 miles long, you get 5 to accelerate, measured mile/kilo, and than 5 to stop the racer.

Above is how it was at BUB (FIM), but I don't see why it would have to be that way as long as the mile and the kilo are each over the same physical ground respectively.  Aren't they separate records anyway as you posted earlier (I better go back and reread that).  Now just because I don't see why it should be that way I guess if it is an FIA rule then that is the way it is.

On the second paragraph above you used the word "normally".  So I guess you are saying that you don't have to have the same run-up to the measured mile/kilo from each direction, but that is the preferred method???

I like this stuff so keep it coming :-),

Sum

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2006, 04:39:40 PM »
Above is how it was at BUB (FIM), but I don't see why it would have to be that way as long as the mile and the kilo are each over the same physical ground respectively.  Aren't they separate records anyway as you posted earlier (I better go back and reread that).  Now just because I don't see why it should be that way I guess if it is an FIA rule then that is the way it is.

On the second paragraph above you used the word "normally".  So I guess you are saying that you don't have to have the same run-up to the measured mile/kilo from each direction, but that is the preferred method???

I like this stuff so keep it coming :-),

Sum

[/quote]
No, to FIA the are the "same" record, had to run on the same space. The reason is, if you blew the engine during the return run you can still make a kilo record, but may be not the mile. Best example, Blue Flame - Gary Gabelich went out of power before he left the kilo - his peak speed was 650+ mph - and he was coasting through the end of the measure mile, this was also the reason why there is big different between kilo and mile average.
Also for the FIA did only the kilo count as the absolute record - means fastest speed - the mile was only "another" record for the books over the mile. That this was good, see Richard Noble - without the mile record, he had no chance to get in the record book or has try again...

Why I wrote normally - if it happens that by some reason the car stopped behind the official end/starting line for the return run, he has not to be moved back to this starting line and can start from his turn around point without getting the trouble that the FIA would not recognize the two average as a record when he is fast enough. If he can start from this point.

Al in 91 was also running over his official end and has to be moved back, but here the reason was, that he got no chance to start from his turn around place - to soft.
Similar Andy Green at Black Rock - he missed the end by 1.4 miles due to a chute failure - he stopped in an area where was no chance to start, due to the missing guideline - don't forget - he was sitting between the two big jet engine and he need the guideline.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »
If it is an FIA requirement that the kilo has to be in the center of the measured mile, then it has been done wrong many times. I still have the time slips that clearly show it was set up like my previous post and as Jack said. Someone mentioned a worry that the Kenwood car would run in reverse. It was actually worse than that. The team brought what appeared to be half of Japan with them including many motor homes and other vehicles and most of them were occupied by people who could not understand English. We were given the opportunity to back up to the - 2 mile which was right on the edge of the freeway. There was us, Al and Nolan. The officials cleared off the start line area, and the tower gave Higbee clearance and I was the first one off. I was at about the - 1 mile when one of the Japanese motor homes started to cross the track at the start, did a 360 in the middle and went back the direction it had come from. That's less than 15 seconds to impact. I never saw them and powered all the way down the track for 6 miles. I heard about it when I got out at the end of the run and enjoyed listening to the recordings of the CB from the tower. I think it was you Glen, but maybe Cagle screaming " Get them off, get them off, Danny Boy is coming, Danny Boy is coming ". It made for any "interesting conversation" between me and the American team leader. The worst part of it was when they left, the Kenwood team gave all their batteries away and I didn"t get any. HA!

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2006, 09:04:49 PM »
Speaking of running backwards, the only one that I know of was Don Vesco in the Turbonator the first time they fired on the salt and attempted to move. I was going to give him a helmet with rear view mirrors but never got it done. Gear change and the rest is hard work and history.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »
Speaking of running backwards, the only one that I know of was Don Vesco in the Turbonator the first time they fired on the salt and attempted to move. I was going to give him a helmet with rear view mirrors but never got it done. Gear change and the rest is hard work and history.

And how about George Fields going through the lights backwards at over 300 a few years ago in his comp coupe??  I've watched that video a number of times.  I am real glad it worked out for him!!

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 11:26:24 PM »
Nish is another that set a FIA kilo record and missed the mile speed at the AUTOPOWER meet.
The kilo and the mile work independent of each other and each has it's  own run up area that allows the kilo to be at any point within the mile or out for example.
FIM is the same way and I have set them up both ways at the request of the applicant.
Most often the kilo is set up within the mile and we don't even mark it so as not to confuse the entrant that should be otherwise quite busy and doesn't need additional distractions.

NOTE TO RICHARD:
While all 10 batteries we got are long gone, I still have 2 sets of copper bottom pots and pans that are unopened in the box.  Do you want one?      TOUGH  !!!!   LOL :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2006, 11:33:37 PM »
Jack Dolan said...

NOTE TO RICHARD:
While all 10 batteries we got are long gone, I still have 2 sets of copper bottom pots and pans that are unopened in the box.  Do you want one?      TOUGH  !!!!   LOL

Hey Richard, bring some more of those hybrid apples you brought up in '05. They was gooood, and none for Jack!  :lol:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »
I still have one of their batterys and it's slowly dying. I used it on a jumper cart for years. :lol:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2006, 04:49:41 AM »
In 2001 when Vesco and True done there FIA records it was so - I talked with Jim about the track configuration. Also, when in 1996 Craig Breedlove was at the salt, the official timer told me the same.
If the SCTA done it sometimes different, which could be, due to this that there is no FIA official (!), it would be a big disadvantage for the racer.
I also remember 2001, That the SCTA had a hard time to get Jim True in the right class - I had to send Jack Costella the FIA paper to get Jim the record at last. I can't understand so situations. :|
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 02:47:47 PM »
SCTA is a Club event and they change methods and procedures quite often lately.
Stability breeds credibility and there you have the quality of the result.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"