Author Topic: Mazda Rotary engine and turbos  (Read 2595 times)

Offline roadsterswap

Mazda Rotary engine and turbos
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:49:48 PM »
I would like to talk with those running Mazda rotary engines in a land speed car. I need advice and ideas. I am on the first part of the learning curve here. I have been combing the internet and was hoping I could find a fellow racer currently running one. Thanks for the help. You can PM me if you would like. I think this topic may not be too interesting to a lot of others.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Re: Mazda Rotary engine and turbos
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
With the current displacement break of X3 last i looked it might be like shooting yourself in the foot. A reasonably good one will make around 780 hp for a 13b and air to water intercooler. i have heard of some surviving close to 1000 for a brief amount of time. Problem is you have to run with a 4 liter piston engine( 1300 x 3=3900) that can easily make the same power. I think unless the factor has changed it is a waste of time unless you already own one and the E record you are shooting for is soft. or you just want something different and it will be fun for you and that changes the whole equation then.
Dave

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Mazda Rotary engine and turbos
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 04:28:44 PM »
The Mazda rotary engine is one of my favorites but with the SCTA's X3 equivalence formula you don't have a chance that puts a 13B up against 4 liter engines and there ain't no way a 13B can make the hp of a good 4 liter recip. If the factor would go down to 2.5 the rotary would be a good choice. I think that the SCTA doesn't like the noise!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.