Author Topic: Ecotec Lakester: Pint-sized hot potato  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Greyboy

Ecotec Lakester: Pint-sized hot potato
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:22:38 PM »
I am a model car builder and newbie to this site. I am here because (1) I have always had an enduring love of LSR since childhood, from 'Challenger One' forward and (2) have always participated in the world of motorsport through my model making. I feel honored to have done pieces for the Indy Hall of Fame Museum, the Donington Collection in England, Jim Hall, John Menard and a few others.

Controversial Subject Department:

My current modeling subject is the Ecotec Lakester (room goes quiet). There's a model car invitational championship in Phoenix in 2010 (yes 4 years away, we're slower than real-car builders sometimes) that I hope to enter my scratchbuilt version of it in. From reading threads on this site I know that the whole GM/LSR/corporate money thing is a hot potato, but as a subject for modeling, the lakester is tasty.

I know it showed at SEMA in '03 and '04, and that there have been a couple of versions of it, aluminum wheels with urethane 'tirelets', black rubber tires with moonies etc, different bodywork, rear-shrouded, longtail, fin, no fin etc. I also noticed there were at least a couple of tube frames as well, the original grey one having a single front pushrod-actuated monoshock and the black-painted one that D. Edmunds ran which had two.

Does anybody know where these cars are now?

I called So-Cal and Tony Thacker is no longer there, replaced by Ryan Reed, who I have not yet spoken to. Then again, So-Cal may not even be the best starting point, I don't know. My goal is to photograph hopefully the latest version of it (shrouded butt, fin, double front shocks) in person, in detail.

Thanks in advance, I really like this site and will try to learn from it; and I certainly hope I haven't raised any hackles by dredging up the whole GM thing again,

Roger Yu

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Ecotec Lakester: Pint-sized hot potato
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:59:07 PM »
I am a model car builder and newbie to this site. I am here because (1) I have always had an enduring love of LSR since childhood, from 'Challenger One' forward and (2) have always participated in the world of motorsport through my model making. I feel honored to have done pieces for the Indy Hall of Fame Museum, the Donington Collection in England, Jim Hall, John Menard and a few others.

Controversial Subject Department:

My current modeling subject is the Ecotec Lakester (room goes quiet). There's a model car invitational championship in Phoenix in 2010 (yes 4 years away, we're slower than real-car builders sometimes) that I hope to enter my scratchbuilt version of it in. From reading threads on this site I know that the whole GM/LSR/corporate money thing is a hot potato, but as a subject for modeling, the lakester is tasty.

I know it showed at SEMA in '03 and '04, and that there have been a couple of versions of it, aluminum wheels with urethane 'tirelets', black rubber tires with moonies etc, different bodywork, rear-shrouded, longtail, fin, no fin etc. I also noticed there were at least a couple of tube frames as well, the original grey one having a single front pushrod-actuated monoshock and the black-painted one that D. Edmunds ran which had two.

Does anybody know where these cars are now?

I called So-Cal and Tony Thacker is no longer there, replaced by Ryan Reed, who I have not yet spoken to. Then again, So-Cal may not even be the best starting point, I don't know. My goal is to photograph hopefully the latest version of it (shrouded butt, fin, double front shocks) in person, in detail.

Thanks in advance, I really like this site and will try to learn from it; and I certainly hope I haven't raised any hackles by dredging up the whole GM thing again,

Roger Yu

I got picture of the original, also from the current car. It's still the same, only the body is aerodynamicly modified and the windshield is in different color.

Go in contact with me.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Greyboy

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »
Thanks Pork Pie...

... for your kind offer but a reply to my post has come to me that is far more compelling for my own purposes; still a lakester, but with many, many reference materials available.

From my miniaturist's view, reference materials are the holy grail, and although I've compiled over fifty jpegs online of the outer appearance of the eco in it's various iterations, and photos of separate engine components to boot, none of that comes even close to the documentation of the belly-tank I speak about; material that I'm sure would be unattainable from So-Cal and/or GM, material from a dedicated member of the LSR tribe.

So once again many thanks for your reply  :-D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:59:35 AM »
Not everybody has learned that "Money won't buy you love on the Salt, it is performance and that does not have to be over 400mph or even set a record."
I am glad you are getting what you need.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"