Author Topic: Sidecar rule 7.I.11 for 2008?  (Read 24950 times)

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
Re: Sidecar rule 7.I.11 for 2008?
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2006, 09:00:27 PM »

Glen- I'll be your monkey in the side car-on the down run. Then you get to ride in the chair on the way back. If we set a record, will it be accepted because of different drivers or is that a violation of the rules.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »
 :evil: You could probably get away with different drivers if you originally entered one of you as the co-driver or backup driver. There was a place on the entry form to put the co-driver's name, but I don't know if it is still allowed. :|

:-D In any event, it would really be interesting to run that way. I once had a dog that rode in the sidecar and we would go all over. His favorite stop was "Burger King" for fries. I wonder if you could have a dog (or maybe a couple dogs) as the monkey(s) :roll:
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2006, 11:11:12 PM »
I have been away from the site for the holidays and missed a lot. I wanted to chip in on the rules discussion. Please bear in mind I'm a Landspeed rookie, but an eager participant. I ran the Flying Kiwi streamlined sidecar at BUB this past Sept.
 We as participants need to discuss and cuss all proposed rules of our sport or others outside of our motorcycle/sidecar experience may impose some whacky "good idea" we don't need/want. It is to bad all the rule books aren't the same, it just muddies the record books. However, I'm going to start modifications to my outfit to conform with SCTA/BNI rules. I want that level of saftey for the most part. But as a for instance, I'm not crazy about the streamlined sidecar parachute rule. I've not heard of anyone using the device on a streamlined sidecar, I'm sure not many people have tried it. What about "exemptions" to what might be untried rules? Thoughts?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2006, 11:36:54 PM »
The fastening and location of the chute anchor will depend on the nature of the vehicle and will work equally well on any body in motion if installed correctly.
Because it makes you uncomfortable, use a really small one and that will reduce the impact until you get accustomed to it and later might want to go larger.
A 16 foot ring slot on a short lanyard might not be a good place to start.
16 inch diameter and 100 foot stretch type lanyard might be more to your liking.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2006, 01:37:06 AM »
Talking to Russ Daly he said that the only proposed rule change for 2007 is to change the minimum wheel size from 10" to 15".  The sidecar wheel size would be unchanged and the streamliner sidecar rule would remain unchanged.  So if you are building a sidecar with wheels smaller than 15" find an alternate plan.  Mine is virtually dead in the water unless i want to do some major rework.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

LittleLiner

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:28 AM »
As I (slowly) progress on my coupe project I have been accumulating parts for a small bore streamliner as my next project.  (Hence the moniker ?littleliner?).  I also have the components for a side car streamliner that I have been storing.  Therefore this thread is of interest to me and the talk of wheel size caught my attention.  In the ?pile? of parts are a pair of mounted 5 inch frontrunners (think front wheels on Neb II in El Mirage trim) to either be the front wheels on the streamliner or the front and chair wheel on the sidecar streamliner.  Please tell me these little wheels are not being outlawed in SCS.

dwarner

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2006, 10:45:22 AM »
"7.B.10 Wheels:  Wheels must have a minimum nominal rim diameter of 15?, except sidecar wheel and wheels on streamliners.  It is highly recommended that strict attention be paid to wheel alignment, wheel balance, spoke tension, and tire run-out. Solid front wheels are not allowed.  It is REQUIRED that front wheels be cross ventilated by an area equal to at least 25% of nominal rim circle area. Solid rear wheels are allowed.  No wheel discs are permitted."

The above is from the proposed M/C changes. The changes are to be voted by the new, 2007, board at the 01/05 meeting. The wording is blue is the change.

DW

bak189

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
I GIVE UP.........WHY the wheel-size rule change.........
This new rule, would do away with most if not all
special build LSR sidecars.  All of the LSR sidecars I have build since 1979 have used wheels smaller than 15"...........This new rule promotes "Tag Wheel" sidecars.........take a stock M/C and bold on a 3rd wheel.  And what is the reason for the rule change.........somebody PLEASE, tell me.

bak189

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2006, 12:13:26 PM »
HEY,,,,,HEY.........Would this new rule change have anyting to do with Wink Ellers NEW 178mph sidecar outfit.............It is my understanding at this years Speed Week, he barely made it though
Tech.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bak189

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2006, 01:50:46 PM »
O.K.........O.K. people....stand by.....we may get some more info. on the 15" wheel proposed rule!!!!

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2006, 02:03:45 PM »
There was a time when a purpose built lsr sidecar could be built and raced in the altered class. That is the type of machine that Bak189 has always built, and I competed on several of them. Now all sidecars have been lumped into one class with no provision for special built machinery. So much for what I consider the heart of lsr racing which is innovation. It looks like a fifteen inch wheel rule would create two clases; production motorcycle sidecars with a tag wheel and streamliners.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2006, 08:44:01 PM »
It would appear that that is the idea.  Or maybe its being done to rid the class of innovation.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2006, 01:52:40 PM »
 :? Man-Oh-Man, I can't follow the rule changes. I guess I am going to have to take a "Speed Reading" class to keep up with the rule changes. :| Can somebody "draw" me a picture and post it so I (and others) can "see" what tire diameter, rim diameter, "wheel" diameter for front, back, and sidecar for a "regular" motorcycle w/sidecar (not a wheel-on-a-stick) and a sidecar streamliner? :?
I am very confused about all this. :|

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
The proposed wheel change for sidecars has no basis in fact, practice, or reasoning outside of some personnel objective.
Without any consultation with any real sidecar builders and operators the rule would seem to benefit only the joke tag wheelers that it has deteriorated to.
The rulers have now bottomed out with respect to credibility and are destroying the field with their changes without real reason.
The evidence of that is stacking up in other classes also and would mark the beginning of the end.
Count how many records would have to go out of the book if they did the rest of the homework required to move the Roadracers and such into altered.
The first one that gets to 100 wins the prize.
Are you one of those that would disappear ? :?
Rather than say it is out of hand , I would suggest it is firmly in hand.

SCREAM IF YOU MEAN IT.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2006, 04:58:27 PM »
I was told that the 15" minimum wheel Dia.
may have been a mistake and that the "Rulers" are looking into it!!!!!!!!!!
However, this was 3 days ago.....todate no update has been received......................we can only hope they reconsider their initial thinking!!!!!!