Author Topic: Vintage Engines & new rules clarification??  (Read 48358 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Vintage Engines & new rules clarification??
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2010, 02:41:40 PM »
I am thinking of building a v4 engine. As I read the 2010 rules"Modifications yo said blocks shall be limited to Factory production or factory authorized replacements and shall retain  all original dimensions". This would seems to preclude changing from poured bearings to insert. Am I correct?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2010, 02:45:04 PM »
No. That is pertaining to the replacement of the block itself. You can change almost everything else, and most do.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 02:47:47 PM by RichFox »

Offline dw230

« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
"Let me know when you want any of this stuff cleared up..."

Jeffrey,

I have asked you to contribute several times. Yet, you still refuse to offer input to the rules committees. You instead continue to berate the rules as written, bad mouth the officials and others who give of their time in an attempt to provide a rulebook and an a event venue so that those who wish can chase a dream.

I am not an educated man with a degree but, I fail to see where a retired court clerk from upstate New York with no Bonneville experience(per Google) is in a position to comment on event procedures when he doesn't have feet on the ground.

As stated, I am not an engineer but I do have over 40 years of dry lake experience in running/driving LSR cars and organizing events.

The date for rule change submissions is past for this year, sorry you "panic ed" and missed the cut point. I look forward to your input next year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jl222

« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
"Let me know when you want any of this stuff cleared up..."

Jeffrey,

I have asked you to contribute several times. Yet, you still refuse to offer input to the rules committees. You instead continue to berate the rules as written, bad mouth the officials and others who give of their time in an attempt to provide a rulebook and an a event venue so that those who wish can chase a dream.

I am not an educated man with a degree but, I fail to see where a retired court clerk from upstate New York with no Bonneville experience(per Google) is in a position to comment on event procedures when he doesn't have feet on the ground.

As stated, I am not an engineer but I do have over 40 years of dry lake experience in running/driving LSR cars and organizing events.

The date for rule change submissions is past for this year, sorry you "panic ed" and missed the cut point. I look forward to your input next year.

DW

:-D :cheers:

JL222

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2010, 06:35:06 PM »
And still we have problems with officials believing that a rule says what they think it says.

"NO programmable ignitions may be used", of course, rules out centrifugal advance (since its behavior is variable, and pre-set in anticipation of use but the execution only occurs in operation so it's not an adjustment). A "program" was used to produce a textile pattern in a loom 400 years ago.

Let me guess, the usual remarks apply here:
1. "don't be ridiculous"
2. "everyone knows what it means"
3. "why are you making trouble"

Oh, did you mean to prohibit non-mechanical programs?

Let me know when you want any of this stuff cleared up...
Ok,I'll pick usual remark #1!

You're rule book must be different than mine, because mine does not say "NO programmable ignitions may be used".
Rather, it states " Computers are allowed for data collection only', making your argument moot.

Any time there are rules, there will be different interpretations-Look at our court proceedings. This issue has been clarified, and any on going, or future ones, will too.

To me, it doesn't really matter what the rules are, as long as I can get clarification as to their meaning and intent.

Thanks to Dan, Nate, and Doug! Being new, I've emailed literally dozens of questions, and received clarification on every one.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
Bravo!

You've learned quick, 38 Flattie!

(How can 38's be flattie?  DD?)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
Cadillac flattie! :evil:

Edit: Now I get it! :-D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:42:46 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »
You're rule book must be different than mine, because mine does not say "NO programmable ignitions may be used".

I suggest remedial reading.
That's not my rule book, I'm "quoting" the previous post - see how that works? There are "quotes" around it?

Thanks to Dan, Nate, and Doug! Being new, I've emailed literally dozens of questions, and received clarification on every one.

Would those be exactly as accurate, reliable and binding as the clarification on the Buick L8 engine?

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2010, 05:26:03 AM »

I suggest remedial reading.
That's not my rule book, I'm "quoting" the previous post - see how that works? There are "quotes" around it?

Would those be exactly as accurate, reliable and binding as the clarification on the Buick L8 engine?

1)-I was making the point that you are just being argumentative, and boring!

2)Good enough for me. The Salt Cat guys, being stand up guys, and fierce competitors. got over it- what'syour dog in the race?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:56:57 AM by 38flattie »

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2010, 08:28:33 AM »
On second thought, nevermind!

You don't build cars, you build sentences.

You're not a competitor, your a naysayer, debater, and a pessimist. You don't get it, and never will.

Life's not perfect, and neither is racing. The VOLUNTEERS you are so fond of criticizing, do  great job- just ask anyone that participates.

First time builders, like myself, must seem like a major PITA to them, continuously asking the most basic of questions.

...yet they continue to take THEIR time, and provide helpful answers. Go figure!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:30:11 AM by 38flattie »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
got over it?
Is your competence really that bad that you don't understand what happened to them? They were DQ by violating a rule that does not exist (the one that prohibits modification to existing original heads).

My point was not what they did (decided to give up and do what they were told, rather than annoy the management and write off the car), but that they felt the same way - right up to the minute that they discovered that the "rules" are whatever someone says they are.

Let me guess: you don't remember any of my posts concerning the re-classification of antique motorcycles (DW doesn't either)? I had considerable money invested in a specific displacement, which is now not competitive. Some "experts" decided to trash the entire VG engine size method (including the validity of many existing records), making my project an expensive boat anchor.

I'll be happy to show up for any meeting on Long Island.
Was your point that I should visit La-La land to be treated rudely?
Remind me: when did my age, health, medical regimen and financial condition become familiar to you, and subject to your decisions?

I think all future meetings should be held in Hempstead. Anyone who prefers not to show up can't vote.

You're making a common error: you're not bored, you just have a short attention span.

Offline dw230

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2010, 12:55:14 PM »
Jeffrey,

"Anyone who prefers not to show up can't vote."

Is this why you don't vote? I do remeber your whine about "your" project. Rules changes/rewrites have happened in the past and will continue to do so.

Real racers roll with the punch and come back with a plan and a victory. Difficult to do when you run away.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »
I'm not your child, or your servant, and your familiarity is not welcome.
If you insist on being personal, "Mr. Diamond" is acceptable.
Since you condemn it in others, use your full name in every post? Thanks!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
This is about the time when posts start getting erased.

Offline jb2

« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
He doesn't have to, everyone knows who he is.  At least if you have been to impound.