Author Topic: M/C supercharger?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline Lucky13

• New folks
M/C supercharger?
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:29:17 AM »
I?ll readily admit to being an idiot so please keep this in mind as I ask the following question?
Is a blower restraint system of any sort required in a blown fuel or blown gas Modified motorcycle application?
Yes, I have read the rule book through the entire motorcycle section and I can not find any place where this issue is addressed (see my first sentence)

Thanks in advance,
Lucky 13  :?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: M/C supercharger?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »
You are correct, there is no mention in the rule book. Why would you think about it? Maybe because a pressurized charge is a bomb? And that bomb is how far away from your vital parts? It's not always the rules that dictates what you should do.
The turbo guys should think about that 150,000 rpm grenade under them.
FIM motorcycle specification:
Superchargers and turbochargers shall be separated from the rider, either by a
cover of steel plate at least 3 mm thick or a ballistic blanket that meets SEMA
specifications 14-1, or by a vehicle or engine structure that provides equivalent
protection.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
It would seem the MC rules have not kept up with the reality and continue on their path to imagined roots.
Lack of input from the participants and comparisons with other MC Sanction Bodies keep them under a rock.
Picking the rules you like from SFI specifications would be a real treat for a prosecuting attorney in an injury lawsuit even if on another matter as they step on the rock.

THE END 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 10:57:37 PM »
a lot of OEM frame turbo guys do have plenum retention straps... but not for safety. its to keep the pressurized system............. pressurized!