Author Topic: FIM classes  (Read 16507 times)

dwarner

Re: FIM classes
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »
Welcome to the world of FIwhatever.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »
So I emailed a question or two to Delvene just yesterday and am hoping for a timely response.  As for Sue -- Sue Who? 

I'm thinking of going to Bub's this year -- but not used to the byzantine quagmire that greets me when I delve into the FIM site/pages/books/listings.  Myabe it's not cornfusing to everyone -- but it sure is to me.  I'm happy to report, though, that others in the fraternity are attempting to help me sort out the stuff.

Yup, I do know about registering early, and that I have to have some medical information submitted and to the satisfaction of others, and that I can expect to wait, wait, wait -- and probably, then, if I should be fortunate enough to qualify for one of those fancy wall certificates, to have it preceded by a note asking me to submit an additional few dollars to pay for them to print it up and send it to me (even though I've already had the pleasure of paying to register, to race, to buy tea and crumpets, etc).

If I figure it all out -- then all I have to do is bite the bullet and join a national organisation that holds no interest whatever for me -- but holds the key that'll unlock the door so I can play in the FIM's sandbox.

"Step through this hoop, jump over this line in the salt, bend over and smile -- then you can ask for permission to race."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
The event serves at the pleasure of the owner and if you don't give him any pleasure the result has been well documented.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
Hey Slim......nobody is asking or making you
race at the BUB Meet .......if you want that "fancy" piece of paper for your wall......you have to play by their rules.
By the way that is Sue Mason at AMA
headquarters....she is your connection to the FIM...(and that fancy piece of paper)
As a Life Charter Member of the AMA, I would like to welcom you to our "national
org".............See you in Sept. at Bonneville!!!!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 12:04:59 PM »
I'm not debating whether I have to play by the rules - I'm saying I'm having difficulties deciphering them, and I'm asking for assistance in that endeavor.

A for the AMA - my opinion stands unchanged - the group is right even, in my opinion and experience, with VD and overtime without pay.  I'll hold my nose and pay the dues if that's what I must do - but that won't make the AMA any different from my point of view, other than they got away with it because they can.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »
Oh Slim.....Oh Slim....You mean to say for that  "Fancy piece of Paper" on your wall.................you will prostitute yourself......
Slim, don't forget to wire your drain plug on the bike and wire up the side-stand......
Yes, I was there the last time you raced a BUB event......that is when you found out,
that AMA/FIM rules are not SCTA/BNI rules.
Best of luck in your quest for a INTERNATIONAL WORLD RECORD..................

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 04:24:46 PM »
No, I'm just saying that the AMA isn't my favorite club.  I'll drop it at that, okay?  By the way, I called Sue Mason and left a callback for her about a half-hour ago.  I'm hoping that you're right -- that she can ease my cornfusion.  Thanks for the name.

By the way, drain plugs are wired now per ECTA requirements.  As I remember at Bub's #1, the AMA inspector told me that he was going to forgo the safety-wired drain lug requirement "today" because someone had challenged him on it "yesterday".  Or maybe that was a different item.  Also, neither bike has a side stand, so both of those points are moot.

Interesting thought -- that's been pointed out elsewhere -- that "international world record" of which you speak is available for a speed appreciably slower than a "national" record/"club" record.  It's only a different-looking piece of wallpaper and a listing in a different book (assuming that book gets printed in a timely manner, which I hear isn't a safe assumption).  Oh vanity, vanity -- what we won't do to avoid painting over the cracks in the plaster.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bak189

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »
Yes, a lot of the FIM Records are "soft"
this is mainly due to the fact that there is not much room on airport runways and/or
closed country roads to get  full top
speed.........However, now that we have the BUB Speed Trials ..(FIM)........and room to run (Bonneville)  the records will be going up!!!!!!

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:11 AM »
Yes, but think of the $$ you will save not having to make a new chainguard.  :-D

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 12:49:40 PM »
The AMA wizard you encountered didn't understand the proper use of nor application of safety wire in the first place and chose to bail rather than suffer the humility to find out.
That pattern has been continued and the result has been the loss of credibility and leadership you might have expected.
The event serves at the pleasure of the owner and it shows.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 06:37:02 PM »
Now....Now....Jack, al this negative stuff you
are pointing out about the BUB Events, you are getting second hand......I only saw you at the BUB #1.....have not seen you at any of the last  events.....Yes, there is room for improvement........but it is a learning process, and the event is getting much better each year.........And YES "the event does run at the pleasure of the owner"
What is wrong with that?????????.  Without
BUB's effort we would not have a ALL M/C's
Speed Trial....Be nice Jack >>>>>>>>>>>>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2007, 08:03:24 PM »
That was my nice and the pattern of failure continues as evidenced by multiple reports that represent the most to the least experience and they all seem to see it the same.
Just this past event was the belly pan, catch the parts laffer and 1 run a day with those entry numbers speaks volumes.
The investment cost per entry is not what is expected for an amateur event and only serves to present a false economy that would discourage others from making it work.
Just the added BLM fees for a commercial event would put the other events in jeopardy if they applied.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »
If you want to have full use on the salt and get near to that FIM paperwork at the end, why not hold your private time event at the end of the Bub meet - holding on to the key AMA/FIM personnel for those extra days? (and keep the Johns there too!). 

Worked for the Brits in '99, but we did lose 5 miles of salt to the 'water gods' and a number of days to the cross wind deamons.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 05:31:56 PM »
MK is a real stinker.
NO WAIT !
That is Me !!
MK is a real thinker and good to have around. :wink:

landracing

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 09:56:42 PM »
I personally think BUB meet has advanced in the three years its been going. I know they know what needs to be improved on and they are taking measures to do it. There are alot of rookies at the event be, inspectors, staff or participants. The confusion of the "Rookie" participants doesn't help the situation at all.

They are doing fine, and Delvene is here is listen. If  you don't go and see the improvements that have been made and/or you LINGER on something that happened in the past, go find somewhere else to complain...

They can't make the meet become 100% problem free right away. Its a new organization in the overall picture, sure their fearless leader has tons of experience, most on private time, won't mean the event will be instant success.. Having one event a year means they have one shot to make it 100% problem free per year in the perfect world. However its not a perfect world, and mistakes will be made...

It will continue to get better and continue to be a better meet.

I had some bitches and complaints the last few years, I shared them with the organizers and they took note, and are in process of solving those issues, and have communicated back to me to let me know how those issues will be resolved and what I thought about them. AS long as it gets better every year its a good thing...

And its the Pleasure of the Organizers Pocketbook that has made the event a GO... And at least he's doing it and not talking about it, and he has entries to show the support for the event... Increasing every year, so the popularity is going up, can that be bad???

So instead of some negative things how about some of the good, THE World Land Speed Record for motorcycles was set at BUB's, THEY Got a TV SHOW out of the deal, Brought three of the best motorcycle liners out at same time and all put on a good show, Plenty of Run Watcha Brung entries that give people a timing ticket on the Bonneville Salt Flats, plenty of records to be had to bring in todays standards to those records, a motorcycle only event (although Im partial to cars too, I like events that have both)... IM sure more to come.

Jon

Jon