Author Topic: FIM classes  (Read 16472 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
FIM classes
« on: December 15, 2006, 11:40:44 AM »
Boyoboy, am I getting a headache trying to figure into which FIM classes my bike might fall.  I've even emailed Charles Hennekam at FIM - twice - for help, but what comes back makes my head hurt even more!  I don't mean to offend the fellow -- and maybe I'm just showing my ignorance here -- but what the heck FIM class (and therefore, what's the record speed) would my bike be in?

I think I've found the classes for partial streamlined, but I sure can't determine where the "naked" bike stuff is.

If you know and want to help out you could just tell me:  A/PS/F 1350 and A/F 1350 are my SCTA classes.  If you want to make my head hurt a little more you could tell me how and where to find the answers for myself -- but Mr. Hennekam's already tried twice and I'm no further ahead than when I started.

Then there's the AMA set of rules/classes -- but that's another story.  Let's work out FIM first, please.  Thanks in advance.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: FIM classes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:30:02 PM »
This is where I could get nasty but they will generate their own reward.
Their level of understanding their own rules matches their enforcement.
You might ask the 2 club for their FIM minimums because they will have the ability to figure out the class.
At this point I understand the 2 club does not recognize the AMA and their methods.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 03:53:13 PM »
Slim, get the FIM Rule Book in French.......
much easier to read.................( So Sorry...I really do feel bad now)
Hey, are you planning on racing a AMA/FIM
event????? I remember last year, or maybe the year before, you indicated your total
dislike anything AMA.........did you see the light.....(Now I feel double bad...sorry)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: FIM classless and clueless
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:38:20 PM »
My understanding from the French is they don't like it much either.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
Slim: The FIM 1350 partial streamlined record was set twice at BUB 2006 and currently stands at 205.724 MPH. (mile). There is no record for an unstreamlined bike. Separate records for the kilo and mile. Have at it and take those records back up North. 60 here in Philly today. FYI your bike fits into Category I Group A1 (Solo bike) Division B (Partial streamline) Type V (Normally aspirated) and as far as I know Nitrous is considered N/A. 6 mile course, gonna need a BIG bottle  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »
Larry, thank you very much.  You've answered my question(s).  206 or so, hunh?  Okay, that might be doable.  As for the unfaired record -- hey, if there's an open record that needs a number put into it -- why not?  One of the hassles I was having was in finding the non-faired record listing.  I've come to the conclusionn, by the way, that you are correct -- nitrous bikes are still in the N/A category.  Oh, and for the record, my bike carries a 10# bottle.

Now -- as for me electing to affiliate with the AMA so I could run for an FIM record, that's still a problem for me.  I will consider seriously how much value I'd find in an FIM record before deciding to put up with those folks.  I won't go into my personal feeling here, but yeah, I'd like to have the record -- another piece of wallpaper is always nice.  Maybe I'd have Nancy run the bike with fairing and I'd go naked* -- be nice to have each of us have another record.

*  No smarmy comments, you guys!

Thanks again, Larry.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 01:52:59 PM »
Wow ! WITH Jon W. & Debbie ( Demurf) going naked the lines at Maxton might be longer then speed week
Should draw a big crowd and the local KeyStone red neck Kops. I think Jon should cover up though. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 01:56:17 PM »
Is there a current, up-to-the-minute listing of FIM records, including those '06 ones, somewhere?  I looked at the AMA/Bub's list and it seems to show only records through '05.  Did I miss the FIM records somewhere?  And where's the unfaired part of the FIM record listing?  I've dug through theri stuff a few times and am not much ahead for the effort.

Then there's the question of FIM classes vs. AMA classes.  Am I right in divining that AMA and FIM are different -- that there's no "modified" or "altered' differentiation in FIM?

Then there's the "no streamlining below a line between the axles" -- is that an FIM thing -- would my Charlie Toy body be a no-go?

Sure is easier to ask you folks than to figure out the rules written in a language that I don't understand (Jack, here's your chance to say something cute about FIM:__________________).

Glen, you've helped me discover a new piece of this forum -- I finished (I thought) this note and clicked "submit", and the machine told me in red letters that there was a new post I might wish to review before i sent mine.  Cool, Jon.  As for me riding naked and I'd best cover up -- how do you know, Glen?  Did I use the porta-potty next to the timing trailer and you had a peep-hole cut into the roof or something like that?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 02:21:33 PM »
I was worried you would think it was a saddle horn and try to hang on to it during the ride,  you could go for the side hack crapper class, that's a french thing ain't it. 8-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 02:50:04 PM »
Evidence of the scatter brained tech skills at the BUB meet are numerous.
I will relay a story from another rather than from my list.
It seems the "no streamlining below the axel" rule was said to mean no belly pans
that are so typical on partially streamlined bikes.
 Another AMA honcho said the full belly pan was required to contain broken parts in the event of an engine failure.
When the naked bikes were brought to his attention, he had no answer to even lie about.
Another situation that speaks volumes was the cotter pin vs safety wire joke.
A standard from the factory feature that includes a proper sized cotter pin through the place on the fastener that is designed for it was determined by the tech wizard to be unsafe and in violation of the rule.
 The cotter pin was going to be required to be removed and in it's place was to go a safety wire of unspecified material and dimension.
That would have put the safety wire in shear.
While dumb is contagious, these were all actions that were completely independent of each other and was more of a genetic predisposition.
Commmon sence and enough yelling had the rider prevale.

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 08:01:31 PM »
Slim: The FIM records set in Sept. are now on the BUB website. The FIM's own website was last updated in March 2005 so BUB '05 and who knows what else are not listed. The AMA, don't get me started. I am still mad from the 70's when I had to pay Earl Flanders $20. just to make a record run. However Sue Mason of the AMA couldn't have been nicer and more helpful getting the paperwork sorted for the entries and licenses. Ditto for Delvene of BUB. I was a no-show at the meet but the guys said inspection was straightforward. You should have no problems. Any other questions feel free to PM me or call 610-647-8428   Larry

Offline Freud

Re: FIM classes and nakedness
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 08:01:41 PM »
Slim......back off.  You must learn that you can not take all of the advantages. In this case, just let NANCY ride naked. EVERYONE would appreciate you allowing her that opportunity.  You get plenty of consessions and this time it's her turn.

Now, doesn't that make you feel a lot better?

We could take a pole of the audience and I am confident they would all agree with giving her that new freedom. Just make sure you don't do it during Speed Week. The hot seat and tank leave serious burns on usually unexposed skin. That I know first hand.

FREUD

« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:03:14 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »
Freud:  With all due respect, Nancy's leathers cover up most of the tattoos, so watching her ride the bike won't give you the pleasure of seeing her artwork.  And as for riding the bike with or without the fairing -- well, it's pretty well established that she prefers the former to the latter.  In '06 we each got three records -- her trio was with the body on the bike, mine was without.

Perhaps you should instead concentrate on your nefarious viewing plans for the Banquet next month.  She did go to the tattoo shop again yesterday, and has an apointment for next week for some new work, too.  Is there a dress code for the dinner?  I've seen the dress she's bought for the event. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:53:55 AM »
Nancy's leathers cover up most of the tattoos, so watching her ride the bike won't give you the pleasure of seeing her artwork. 
Nancy IS the artwork imo!  :-D
BTW, thanks for the great pics and we love the new property :roll:... Happy New Year.
Todd

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »
Slim,

The FIM march to the beat of a different drummer. Although I got a FIM record in the 2,000cc class at BUB I am still waiting to hear if I also got the modified FIM record and it is now January 11th. Delvene and Sue are both very frustrated with the workings of the FIM but appreciate the fact that Charlie does come out to BUB. I understand their records have not been updated on the internet for a year or two. Apparently "road racing" (Bonneville) is at the bottom of their list of important events.

In regard to the rules, the SCTA or BUB rules work just fine. Charlie wasn't too picky with my bike. Unless you have an unusual bike I wouldn't worry about it. One big point, if you're over 50 you must have an EKG when you summit your paperwork. And make sure your paperwork gets into Sue by June at the latest.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210