Author Topic: say Thanks to our troops  (Read 2968 times)

dwarner

say Thanks to our troops
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:21:05 AM »
My wife sent me this link, I checked it out on snoops and it is legit.

This time of year is a perfect opportunity to say THANK YOU to our brave men and women in arms. Without their commitment we would not be able to do this sport we love so much:

www.LetsSayThanks.com

If you are so inclined please take the time to fill out an on-line card and show your support.

Thank you,

DW

www.

Offline desotoman

Re: say Thanks to our troops
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:05:32 AM »
Good idea. Done.
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:49:55 AM »
Folks, I've mentioned this before and will again.  Here's my way of thanking the veterans -- I visit the local "Home for Veterans" (run by the Michigan Dept. of Veteran's Affairs) a couple of times a week and read to the guys.  Most of them aren't very "awake" -- old age, injuries, illness -- but I get enough positive feedback from them that I know they're appreciating the company I provide.  I read Westerns, mostly -- shoot-'em-ups, good guys vs. bad guys -- and they smile once in a while at the right places, so I know something's getting through.  I do this because lots of them don't have anyone that visits -- no relatives, no wife, no kids, no buddies.  It must be hell to be stationed away from home during the holidays (a la our troops in the service NOW), but think about these people that offered everything they had years ago -- and now don't have anything, not even an email from a bunch of racers back in the states.

I know that some of you take your old car magazines (bike magazines, too!) to your local Vet's home when you're done -- good idea, and I betcha they're appreciated.  Keep it up!  If you can think of a way to help military & ex-military folks know that you are thankful for their sacrifices -- by all means, do it, and share it with us.  Let us know what you do -- if it's a great idea maybe more of us will pick up on your idea.

Happy Holidays.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi,

Back in September my wife and I were in the Savannah GA Airport getting ready for a flight home to California. I saw a young soldier walking throught the Terminal, winding up at the USO desk. He was alone and looked kind of lost.

My first thought was to go over and shake his hand and thank him for serving our country, and buy him a beer. Then I thought that he looked to young to drink.

I let the moment pass and walked down to the boarding area. On the flight home I was bothered that I had not followed through with the "ThanK You" gesture. I vowed that I would never let that kind of opportunity pass again.

It would have only taken a minute out of my day, but might have made that Soldier's day.

Enough said!

Tom

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
Dan,

Thanks for the how-to tip.  Truly a win-win, can bring good feelings at both ends.

Finally have passed along some of the similar support  that I received in '67, should have done it years ago......

Have kept the addy, will pass it along, and will try to keep the flame lit.

Ed Purinton

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:16:21 AM »
Jon,
 That's an excellent idea. We'll have to look into that.
My daughter is at just that age where I'd like her to be involved in
giving back and appreciating those that walked before us!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: