Author Topic: V4F/STR Build  (Read 23900 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: V4F/STR Build
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 09:09:13 PM »
Best LSR rear axels---based on parasicitic loss!!

best to worst: The GM has nearly 5% less drag than a Ford 9"

Early Ford with Bevel  gears best!

GM

Dana

Ford
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:07 PM »
Stan & Sparky:

Thanks for the input.  I will be using a Ford banjo, initially with a 3.54, with a 3.78 available before the build is final.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 01:05:23 AM »
I've been studying lots of theory since my last entry.  Also became self-employed, which is a whole new world of worry.

Anyway, sold the ratty Model A body to a, ahem, rat rodder, for about what I now have into much nicer 27 T roadster (that was a hot rod in the early 70's, maybe back to the 60's in California).  The T is much smaller & sleeker: better aero should be faster, right?  It also required 100 or so fewer hours of repair work to be usable.

The chassis is mostly together: a good solid platform for the roll cage.

It went together pretty much as I had planned, with the usual problems of one set of parts needing to be mounted exactly where a second set of parts need to be.

Anyway, the pictures should tell the story.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline poppy

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:03 AM »
Mike,

Nice pictures.

Did read in another topic that you are entered for Speed Week this year? If you are, it looks like you have got a lot of work to do in the next 60 days.

Keep us updated.

Poppy

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »
Did read in another topic that you are entered for Speed Week this year? If you are, it looks like you have got a lot of work to do in the next 60 days.

Keep us updated.

Poppy

I'm learning that it's part of the joy & heartbreak of being self-employed.  First you have to pay the bills.  Then you have to set aside tax money for the end of the year.  Then, if there's anything left, you get to play.

I did well enough, I think, in the first part of the year with major projects; 31 Tudor for a friend and 29 pickup for me (which I sold for 40% more than I expected  :roll: ) and since I have no commitments to bring any cars into my shop until late August, that I think, singlemindedly, I can do it.  Assuming, of course, that I don't spend any time and money buying superfulous vehicles as I did last week (digger).

Mike
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:33:48 AM by 4-barrel Mike »