Author Topic: V4F/STR Build  (Read 23954 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
V4F/STR Build
« on: December 11, 2006, 12:17:14 PM »
Street Roadster is one of the traditional classes, so I am keeping it (mostly) within real (not current magazine) tradition: '29 A roadster, Model A frame.

I'm spending extra time to keep it as inexpensive as possible, while building it to be as safe as possible.

The frame will be boxed from the front cross member rearward, stepped in the rear, and will have an X-member & pedal setup from Dagel's http://www.dagelsstreetrods.com/super_x_crossmember.htm
The Dagel parts are yet to be purchased.

The front end will be a vintage dropped axle with split wishbones, F-1 spindles and hubs and no brakes, F-1 steering.  I have all of these parts in hand.

The rear will probably be a 9" Ford (a quick change would be preferred, but that may have to wait until next year) on a buggy spring with ladder bars.  I have most of these parts.

The engine will be a built flathead "B" coupled to a T-5 5-speed.  I have these parts.

What I started with (attached).

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

Re: V4F/STR Build
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:20:06 PM »
I blew the body completely apart and had it sandblasted.  The attached pic shows the basic body mounted on a straight, level frame, cowl complete (except for filling the fuel filler) and the quarter panels temporarily mounted.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
B block/crank (mock up) with flywheel cover/bellhousing/adapter with T-5 5-speed.

Mike

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:46:17 PM »
I wonder about the 9 inch. You don't need the strength or the drag. Could you think about something with less friction?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
I say 9" because I can get a good one for close to free and the ratio selection is good.  However, I'm very much open to suggestions.

Mike

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
I think that many use a nine inch because the drag guys do. I was very impresed with Gary William's 454 Monza which used the stock rear end. Never broke it. real cheap. Lots of gear choices in the 2s and 3s. Low drag. he made "Hooks" like the old Ford guys did, to retain the wheel if the axle broke. Never did.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 12:05:58 PM »
I think that many use a nine inch because the drag guys do. I was very impresed with Gary William's 454 Monza which used the stock rear end. Never broke it. real cheap. Lots of gear choices in the 2s and 3s. Low drag. he made "Hooks" like the old Ford guys did, to retain the wheel if the axle broke. Never did.

I think about any of the GM 10 or 12 bolt rears are plenty strong for the salt.  The problem I see is that you have to mess around with c-clip eliminators or what you mentioned (what are hooks anyway, I'm interested to know) you can find a ford and be done with it. 

The other thing is you can have different center sections all setup if needed with different ratios and change them on the salt.  I want to change the GM in my truck to one of the fords I have for that very reason.  I can run one center on the salt and the other the rest of the year on the road.  Real easy to change.  Can't do that with the GM.

One problem is if you want below 2.47 gears you ain't going to get there with a ford :cry:.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:12:52 PM by Sumner »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 12:09:47 PM »
Sum
I have seen two cars where the so called hooks failed and both rear wheels came off when the cars spun. I believe Jon Amo has pictures at Bonneville of the roadster that lost the wheels. I wouldtry to find a quick change if I was running a 4-banger.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 07:59:34 PM »
I wouldtry to find a quick change if I was running a 4-banger.
Glen
I got a real eye opener when I took quick change out of stock car & switched to grand nat . like adding a couple more cylinders, was running a tall blk 501 stroker @ time. that quick change wasted a lot of HP.
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:20 PM »
If you could find a model A QC, they have lower drag than a V8 QC. Which I think is lower than a Champ car QC. Anyway, a 'banger needs to use all the power it can, on the ground. A light, low drag drive train is important. Don't know about the hooks (safty clips?) failing. Guess it's about how they are made.  RF

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the inputs!  I think that Pete Richardson (1931 V4/VGC) is running a Model A quickchange, probably the one out of New Zealand.

Guess that's the best bet and I need to save a few more dollars and sell some more flathead V-8 stuff.

Mike

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:57 PM »
For what it's worth I have a V8 QC in my V4/GR with '56 Olds outer ends, bearings and brakes. No wheels haqve fallen off yet.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 09:50:04 PM »
If you are looking for a quickchange here is the one I might possibly buy. I think it is better than the one out of NZ. This guy sells on Ebay all the time. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rodsville-v8-quickchange

Item #290061203816

With this unit all you need are the gears, spool, axle housings and axles. It already is set up for an open drive line.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 09:53:06 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:36:37 AM »
Rich: Thanks!

Tom G.:

Yep.  And I check the eBay quickchange listings daily.    :|

Is the Rodville unit good?  Seems like a low-volume (aren't they all?) semi-fly-by-night operation.  I'd be more inclined to purchase the Winter's V-8 unit that Dick Spadaro retails.

Mike

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 11:35:21 AM »
Mike,
   The Rodsville unit is a nice unit. I saw it at the roadster show in pomona. It is a direct copy of the Halibrand unit. Nice part about it is you can get ring and pinions as low numerically as 3.27 to 1.
   Winters also makes a nice unit. Only problem I have with it is the ring and pinion selection is limited to one only, and as I recall it was 3.78 to 1.
   Another good unit but too pricey for me is the Cyclone. I also saw this at the Roadster show but it sell for around $2200 compared to Rodsville unit at around $1300.
   Point of interest, at the sema show I talked to a rep from Halibrand. He told me they were going to take legal action against Rodsville for copying their unit. Who knows what the outcome of that would be.
   Hope this helps,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.