Author Topic: hi i am new to land speed racing and message boards so please bear with me  (Read 8111 times)

Offline vw racer 64 bug

• New folks
hi i am trying to find info on air cooled vws i need to know about body types classes is there a record for a stock body sedan i would like to build a car but cant find any specific info on air cooled volkswagen any help would be appreciated one more ? is there any members of ecta in florida tampa bay area
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:48:33 PM by vw racer 64 bug »

Offline GeneF

hi i am trying to find info on air cooled vws i need to know about body types classes is there a record for a stock body sedan i would like to build a car but cant find any specific info on air cooled volkswagen any help would be appreciated

First thing to do is order a rule book from the SCTA as there are too many nuances to explain here. But in a nut shell a stock body bug would be in production class and depending on modifications could run in gas coupe, altered, comp coupe. Realisticlly a a/c vw is going to be in one of two engine classes- f (2-3000 cc) and g (1.5- 2000 cc) Be advised there are some very experienced vw racers in lsr, so if you are out to set records you will have some stiff competition.

FWIW- Back in the 70s I was heavily involved in vw oval racing midgets and mini stocks and drag racers, where I developed a love/hate relationship with the little dubbers.  :-D Anyway, I'm not into them anymore but still like to keep an eye on how the vw's are doing in other forms of racing. I'm sure you're aware of this site but in case you're not, theres tons of info here:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

landracing

F-Production = 167.158 mph record
G-Production = 153.415 mph record

There is no specific place for air cooled motors. So you are in same class as water cooled that I am aware of... Head to head....

IF you can get into F/GC that is an open record...

You need a rule book got SCTA-BNI website and get one... In fact get three... You will use them all... To many varibles like GeneF said...

Jon

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
I believe the F record is 125mph(below) and the G record is open.
F/PRO Dave Hinni Dave Hinni Oct-98 125.698
And the real street classes are down around 110mph.

Then again(as a bike guy - yep, they run lsr too), I don't know real street from super street, or comeptition coupe from altered coupe........ but(as a bike guy) I know a coup when I see it.
Todd

PS: VW Racer... consider getting ECTA rule books (http://www.ecta-lsr.com/?page_id=19)... they may be more beneficial to you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 07:14:20 AM by narider »

dwarner

That is pretty good addvice. If you want to run ECTA use their rule book, if the salt is your desire use the SCTA rule book.

The records for both venues are listed and not the same.

DW

Offline GeneF

That is pretty good addvice. If you want to run ECTA use their rule book, if the salt is your desire use the SCTA rule book.

The records for both venues are listed and not the same.

DW

Oops, I guess I'm still not use to the new format, I didn't even notice this was posted in the ECTA board  :oops:

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
I've done it at least 3 or 4 times Gene.. this was first time noticing someone else doing it :-D
Todd

Offline tortoise

hi i am trying to find info on air cooled vws i need to know about body types classes is there a record for a stock body sedan i would like to build a car . . .
If you're serious about going fast with a VW you should build a Ghia.

Offline t russell

welcome ,a few vws have ran at maxton.get a rule book build what you want (yes head to head with water cooled) but so what this is fun racing .
terry

LittleLiner

Long time LSR Racer Tom Bruch from Iowa is putting a turbo charged 36hp engine in an early VW to run for one of the records that has been set up by one of the VW magazines.  He will probably be at Maxton at least once this year and also might be running at Bonneville.  I can probably hook you up with him if you want more info.  I just don't know the specifics but I recall that one of the VW magazines has set up a class structure for records.  They are different from ECTA and SCTA classes and specificly for VWs only.  I suspect you run in the Time Only class . . but I am not sure.

As far as running in one of the 'regular' SCTA or ECTA classes with a VW . .  well the records appear to be pretty stout already.  One of the earlier posts mentioned running as a Gas Coupe.  Problem is to be legit in Gas Coupe you must make one of three specific modifications to move you out of Production.  They are Quick Change Rear, or Engine swap, or non stock supercharger.  I don't know how you could run a Quick Change Rear in a beetle.  The rules for engine swaps are pretty specific.  Replacing a 40 hp with a 1600 might not qualify as a swap.  The rule books use the example of different small block Chevys as NOT being a swap but swaping a big block for a small block IS an engine swap (assuming that particular model chevy did not also come with a big block).  Exactly how that translates to VW engines, I am not sure, but I suspect it might mean running an engine from a 411 or 412 or later bus or Porche.   Of course any supercharger would put you in the Blown Gas Coupe classes since there weren't ever any stock blown beetles.

The next possibility would be to 'move up ' to the Altered classes.  You would have to make a few body mods but the quick change and engine swap requirements don't apply.  I am not an official of either club but I suspect removing the front bumper would put you into altered.

Heck . . go ahead and bring the car to Maxton and/or Bonneville, make a few runs and worry about classes and records later . . . .

Offline Freud

Building the legal SCTA cage would be a marvelous step. You could run Time Only for the year and when you left you would have an understanding of what is required to run against the records.
There's so much to experience at B'ville on your first visit that just getting there and making a pass is a great year.
With the crowd getting larger and larger and the lines longer, just making several passes will be a fine accomlishment.
Your first timing slip is a trophy unto itself.
Welcome to the disease called "Bonneville."
FREUD
Since '63