Author Topic: Ralph Hudson toughest ride  (Read 5488 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Ralph Hudson toughest ride
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
here the note

R.I.P. my friend....Ralph, you was a true sportsman...you will be missed
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »
Godspeed Ralph!
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »
May he rest in peace.  Good bye, Ralph.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
GodSpeed Ralph... Condolences to the family... from my racing family... you will be missed... your accomplishments will be remembered forever.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 11:55:28 PM »
Ralph was a true gentleman racer. He will be remembered for his accomplishments and as a kind and loving person. God Speed 
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2020, 08:20:43 AM »
Godspeed Ralph.  Rest easy sir.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
Ralph, rest in peace.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
Land Speed Louise sent this remembrance of Ralph:

Ralph Hudson's first trip to Bonneville was in 1971. He was attracted by the simplicity of it: go from here to there as fast as you can, faster than anyone else ever has, in your class. At 20 yrs old, he was pretty new to racing of any kind and really didn't know what to expect. Ralph found that reading the rule book more carefully would have been a good idea. He had missed a few important details that took an extra day of work, on the salt, to make his bike legal for the class.

Hudson's racing mentor was Kenny Young, a crusty old 2-stroke tuner, who suggested the Bonneville trip. They were both excited about trying to break a record, on the salt. Primarily due to Young's tuning, Hudson set three records that year and thought it was easy.  'Little did I know . . .' he recalled. 'It was so exciting to see all the different things that people had imagined, built and brought to the salt. It made me start dreaming of a better race bike. I love fabricating, working on engines, always trying to improve things, I was hooked!'

For many years, before he ever thought of actively racing, Hudson read every motorcycle magazine he could get. He was intrigued by the German NSU team, which came to the salt in the late 50s. The incredible speeds they recorded and photos of the bikes showed Hudson that aerodynamics must have played an important role in their success. For Hudson's second Bonneville try, he modified a road race fairing, put a three cylinder engine in a drag bike chassis and clicked off 150.75 mph, about 20 mph faster than his first, production style bike. Unfortunately, a burned piston dashed record hopes, but he was excited about the speed, and the potential of the bike.

'I thought I had it all figured out,' he laughed. 'Later, I read an article about streamlining that pointed out that what's behind you is more critical than what?s in front. That changed everything, I?d never thought of that!? He sketched out plans for a new bike, but never built it, as life stepped in and he began building props and mechanical effects for TV commercials, got married, had a family and no time for racing. Fast forward thirty odd years, his son graduated from college and Hudson was single again. He had road raced back in the 70?s, and still had his old factory Suzuki 500 twin. A friend talked him into getting it running and taking it to the vintage road races.

At the AHRMA races at Daytona, in 2009, Hudson happened to meet a racer from San Francisco, Jim Hoogerhyde. Over margaritas, they discovered that getting a red hat was high on both their lists, but they had different ideas on how to go about it. Hudson sketched a picture of his bodywork on a cocktail napkin, for the umpteenth time and decided he better get after it before he got much older!

A frantic few months later, Hudson earned the Bonneville 200MPH Club life membership with an average speed of 210mph riding a bone-stock 1000cc Suzuki street bike covered with his slippery bodywork. With the help of Ted Silver, his crew chief, they have pushed the record to 220mph , 225mph and with help from Carpenter Racing, up to 239.976 mph, normally aspirated!

The obvious next step was to turbocharge the bike and see what it would do. After a crash at 218mph in 2013, no Speed Week in 2014 and 2015, they went back to the salt with high hopes in 2016. They blamed the salt, but couldn?t get the bike to go much over 230mph.

El Mirage was a different story. In October of 2016, the bike ran 246mph, on the rev limiter for the last .4 miles of a 1.3 mile course. After some calculating and a sprocket change, they got back in line expecting to do better, but the wind came up and the meet was over. In November, on Saturday morning, they were expecting to put a significant increase on their previous speed, but a broken chain took out the water pump, the clutch release mechanism and damaged the bodywork. A trip back to LA was necessary to get parts and fix the bodywork. On Sunday morning, they got in line, not quite as confident as the day before and made a good run, Ralph?s best ever, 266.399 mph! The fastest motorcycle speed ever recorded at El Mirage, 14 mph faster than the previous top speed! Ralph says that with a little more work, there should be a few more mph left to find.

All told, with several different bikes, Hudson has broken 39 records at Bonneville and El Mirage. He still holds eight records at Bonneville and eight records at El Mirage. He?s been SCTA motorcycle points champion three times.

None of his records have been broken by anyone else??yet.
How much more speed is left? Only time will tell. See you at the races!!!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:13:36 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
Rest In Peace Ralph Hudson.

This is sent from a smartphone. I'm assuming this is the correct category for this. Please move to correct category.

Motorcycle Racer Ralph Hudson dies from Injuries Sustained in Bonneville Crash. The accident occurred on Aug 14, 2020, and he died September 6, 2020 from his injuries.

"Motorcycle racer Ralph Hudson, current FIM World Record holder for the all-time fastest non-streamliner motorcycle at 297 mph, died from injuries suffered three weeks ago at Bonneville, according to a statement released by the family."

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/amp33958753/motorcycle-racer-ralph-hudson/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 03:28:27 PM by J79 »
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline ack

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz