Author Topic: Short but Interesting: CFD Analysis of 1930s Mercedes T-80 Streamliner  (Read 3122 times)

Offline TD

Hopefully everyone interested can access this:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/land-speed-records/the-fatal-flaw-in-mythical-mercedes-t-80-land-speed-record-car

To summarize, the T-80 bodywork was likely to create a significant aero imbalance, combining front lift with rear downforce.

M-B got this wrong more than once:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21ZjwZGjiQ

Enjoy.
Tim

Offline Stan Back

Can't see any of them.

Perhaps my limit to 8mm is the problem.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline MAYOMAN

It's called a lever!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline TD

Stan, I sent you a couple of PMs with the content and photos.  Enjoy!

Best
Tim

Offline MAYOMAN

I had a similar problem with a high rear wing placement in 1974 on the Pollution Packer Bonneville with Vern Anderson driving at Bonneville. Approaching 300 miles per hour the steering became light and the car began yawing. After that, the down force was supplied via mid chassis location of the wings for down force. Gerard Brennan drove the car for Tony Fox at several events before the project was abandoned. The high rearward placement of the wing in 1974 resulted in a moment about the rear axle lifting the front wheels. A small wing over the front axle did not compensate sufficiently. Probably not a wise decision to try to solve one aero problem with a counter-aero solution. Proper aero design is easier now with CAD software. The Silver Arrows didn't have that technical aid, either, although you would think their wind tunnel testing could have exposed the problem.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
I think Lessman?s liner has mid Chassis canards for that very reason, Dick.

John