Author Topic: Nitro and P/P  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
Nitro and P/P
« on: November 30, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
Can you have a nitro bottle and plumbing on your bike and still run in the P/P category? The bottle would be hidden out of site and would be empty to be verified by inspectors prior to running. This would obviously enable a person to run in other categories and the bike would appear stock.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

aswracing

Re: Nitro and P/P
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 06:10:12 PM »
Nitro?

Or nitrous?

Nitro requires a whole different fuel system.

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »
Yes, I guess I'm speaking of nitrous. "spray"

But on the other hand could someone please explain the difference and at which times both are utilized. Want to learn. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:04:55 PM by Flyboy »
One Fast ZX-14

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 07:46:03 PM »
7.B.21 Nitrous Oxide Systems, states that "The nitrous oxide bottle(s) must be removed when competing in gasoline classes."
7.J.1 Production Engine Class, states that "All Production engines run in gas class."
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:01:15 AM »
Nitrous Oxide is an oxidizing agent -- doesn't burn unto itself, but adds more available oxygen to the system -- so that more fuel can be burned.  You're supposed to turn up the fuel injection simultaneously with turning on the nitrous, and the increased combustion of fuel results in more hp.  (Note I say "supposed to" -- witness all the burnt pistons too many of us have to prove that nitrous without additional fuel results in a WAY lean mixture real quickly!).

Nitromethane is a fuel -- it'll burn, can be run up to 100% -- no gasoline or other fuel is REQUIRED for combustion, although some/many/most use a mixture of nitro and gas/alcohol/bug juice.

I'm just a puppy about this stuff -- I'm sure others will have far better explanations, but this is a start.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »
Wow, thanks for that explaination Jon. That was simple & to the point. Even "I" understood it! hehehe
 :mrgreen: <- big hair!
Deb

(we need a ponytail girl smiley!)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »
Why is one used over the other?  I always here about nitrous but never about nitro except in the explosive nitroglycerin. Do you guys use nitro at the salt flats? If so,in what senario?
One Fast ZX-14

aswracing

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 06:15:13 PM »
I use nitro. The scenario is "trying to go real fast".

No seriously, both nitro and nitrous are widely used.

Nitrous can be easily fitted to most gasoline powered vehicles, without major changes, so it's popular for that reason. But the nature of a nitrous burn is such that peak cylinder pressures will be higher, for a given power level, than say a nitro or boosted motor.

Nitro is a whole new ball game from the point of view of the fuel system, and introduces other issues as well. You have to deliver a whole lot more fuel to the motor. To give some perspective, my bike uses a -12 fitting on the bottom of the tank, that gets split into a pair of -8's before going to the special nitro carb that has two fuel inlets. Only one of the fuel inlets is regulated by the float, the other is controlled by a cam attached to the throttle. Since fuel flows in unregulated when the throttle is open, I have to take it out the carb overflow and pump it back to the tank (else I'll run out before I can finish a pass!). The main jet I run has an orifice that's more than a quarter inch in diameter. You could stick a number 2 pencil through it. You also need the mother of all ignition systems to light the stuff at mid to high concentration levels. It doesn't mix with gas so you run it mixed with methanol. At higher concentrations, you have to start the motor on methanol before applying the nitro-methanol mix, or you'll take off a cylinder head. Likewise it's not advisable to run a rev limiter at high levels because it'll take off a head. The stuff is very unforgiving of any kind of a mistake in tuning or procedures. Think of it as riding a two-wheeled bomb and you're pretty close.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »
When you look at all of the work we do to go fast, it's all about getting more air in the engine. We deal with an air limited sport. You can dump fuel in with a fire hose.
The SCTA splits the world into three parts.
1. Gasoline.
2. Every other approved liquid fuel; alcohol, hydrogen, nitromethane, and unapproved gasoline. Nitrous Oxide also, but it is a special case. There are thousands of combustible compounds, these are the approved ones.
3. Supercharger or turbocharger. (Gas or fuel)

With gasoline you are limited to the amount of air you can stuff into the engine. Physics dictates that a 14.7:1 ratio of gasoline to air is the stochiometric ratio where all of the fuel will combine with all of the oxygen. That's 14.7 pounds of air to 1 pound fuel. The air we breathe is 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen and other trace gases. The oxygen is the only thing that matters. Above or below that ratio and you will be rich or lean and produce less heat to expand and drive the piston down. Because it is a dynamic event, and not in a laboratory, a ratio of 12.5:1 to 12.8:1 is the rough ratio for maximum power depending on the blend of gasoline used. At 14.7:1 you will produce roughly 18,400 btus of heat per pound of fuel.

Switching to the fuel class and running methanol results in 9,500 btus per pound of fuel. Far less! If you burn methanol in a coffee can in the sun light you can't see the flames. So why is it a better fuel? Because it combines better with oxygen. At 5:1 ratio you can stuff twice as much in the cylinder and achive 20% more power. Methanol has a higher heat of vaporization than gasoline, so that as the liquid fuel changes to a vapor, it cools the engine more than gasoline.

Putting in nitromethane results in only 5000 btus per pound of fuel. Even less! The chemical formula is CH3NO2. Notice the two oxygen molecules? Nitromethane is a monopropellent by itself. You can pour a massive amount of nitromethane through an engine due to the 1.7:1 fuel/air ratio. The result is 135% more power than on gasoline. IF the engine will take it. It's no wonder the top fuel guys use it. The higher heat of vaporization combined with the higher fuel flow results in a lot of engine cooling.

Which brings us to nitrous oxide. SCTA classifies it as a fuel, although it is an oxidizer, not a fuel. When you squirt nitrous into an engine you displace the 21% oxygen air with 33% oxygen nitrous. Everything noted above for the fuels increases because you can dump more fuel because of the increased oxygen. The breakdown of the liquid nitrous oxide into N2 gas during combustion releases heat separate from the oxygen benefits, adding more power. Can you run 100% nitrous oxide with no outside air? It would depend on the size of the engine and how many bottles you can carry. It's more to the point to ask the question "At what point will it grenade?"

A supercharger or turbocharger allows you to stuff more air in the same volume, allowing you to put more fuel in for a bigger bang. Can you use nitrous oxide with a supercharger or turbocharger? Sure!

Can you achieve a supercharging effect with nitrous oxide alone? With a direct port injection you certainly can! Nitrous oxide is popular because it's easy. Nitromethane is looked at as only something an "expert" would use. The true answer is in the fuel class there is no end to the power you can generate, probably far more than the engine will take. In the supercharger or turbocharger classes destroying an engine is not hard. So, crank up the boost or tip the can until it blows, then back off a little.  :-D
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:26:58 AM »
Dean

I've run a fair number of methanol fueled engines and had a very little experience with nitro. I've understood the basic requirements but have never seen it so clearly explained. Thanks!

Pete

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
Dean,

Excellent discourse. Now let's finish that bike and get 'er done!

DW

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 01:52:23 PM »
Dean,

Thank you for an excellent write-up.

A couple questions for you--

1) Can you corrolate BTU's to horsepower?

2) How much more horsepower does nitrous oxide add to an engine when it is being sprayed?

3) In aviation we suck on 100% oyxgen when up on altitudes. Would setting up a 100% oxygen bottle to your bike make any difference to mixture power if pure O2 was released into air intake just before the "big mile"?

4) From your write-up it appears there are only a handful of people in each state that know about and that can safely work with nitromethane.  Can I assume that to be correct?

5) Can I also assume that once you set up your bike for nitro-- you can just about forget riding it around town?

Thanks
One Fast ZX-14

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 01:55:47 PM »
Flyboy: with all that was said-NO
Dean: A nitrous engine will NEVER "smell" good. A nitro engine will ALWAYS "smell" good. :-D
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
My oh my has this thread go into the land of silly and impossible..LOL..
I won't wear anyone out including myself but....

Flyboy do you own or have used or watch someone use a cutting torch??? If you had the use of 100% oxygen would explain itself real quick.. No you can't do it, it does not work period. All heat and nothing to expand just melts things. Nitrogen is the operative gas in a engine. You heat the working fluid and it expands, no it does not explode, the rise in pressure makes something move depending on what type of engine, sorry it is not a motor either go look up the definitions sometime.. :-o

Dean.. sorry you can not make 'boost' with nitrous How did you plan on doing that?? Close the wide open throttle blades??? :? Even worse anything much greater than 50% of what an engine makes without nitrous is a really good trick. It has been done for very short periods of time but it gets back to charge air cooling the amount of working fluid to expnad, and the vapor pressure of the fuel that needs to partially evaporate in order to start combustion.. As Forest Gump would say nitrous is like tequila, a little is a lot of fun too much and you have a problem... Buy a chemistry book and a few books on fluid dynamics and thermal dynamics and it will all make sense.

Nitro burns very very slowwwww so if a high rpm bike figure it out.. They have a NHRA gear run made to buzz them and slow them down..
Dave
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 05:32:55 PM by ddahlgren »

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »
Sorry to question all the wisdom that has been in this thread, but "nitrogen is the working gas....." is not a correct statement for these IC engines. The chemistry of the air, the chemistry of the fuel, and the chemistry of the combustion process would strongly refute such an statement. The EXPANSION of burning gas is what pushes on the piston. In the vernacular, nitrogen ain't it. The BURNING of fuel provides the heat for the expansion to occur. Nitrogen has a bit of a problem in accomplishing that work.

Even though I might normally be interested in anything that might even come close to violating the second law of thermo, nitrogen can't even be propped up enough to take the heat for an expansion phase.

BTW - an O2 rich environment would be of some interest if sprayed in the normal atmospheric inlet to the engine. That has been done with some success before.

All puns intended.

OK, now I will go back to piddling in the shop space on a snowy day in the high country.

Regards to All,
HB2
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.