Author Topic: HOT ROD mag--New Liner concepts  (Read 2370 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
HOT ROD mag--New Liner concepts
« on: July 10, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
August issue  I started reading this article with in minutes of taking it out of the mail box----then BOOM The LSR Challenge

HOT ROD has joined the Kool Aid Crowd
 "---- nature is gradually reducing the usable running surface at Bonneville to the ---" Nature my   :dhorse:

why has no one called them on this---this false information and and has just undone most of all our efforts for the past year  we must win the public support on this issue or we will never have along course in my racing life time---lots and lots of us are just moving on because the expectation of a hard level course is pretty nill--YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: HOT ROD mag--New Liner concepts
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
Well, Sparky, we now live in a day and age where we are told the obvious is something else. Worst part of this is too many people buy into it. HOT ROD magazine reaches a lot of people and can form or change public opinion. This is very hard to counter unless you are at least as powerful. What could be done by someone with A little HOT ROD juice, is to contact them and ask to speak to the reporter. Maybe they will change their mind and print the truth as we see it.

John

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »
I've fallen away from being a regular Hot Rod reader, but - unh, Dave Freiburger IS a member of the 200 MPH Club and is pretty familiar with what's going on with the salt at Bville.  Maybe he's moved far enough from the magazine that he isn't consulted about conditions.  If so - too bad.  There's not much better way to get good press than have a salt racer as editor of the magazine.  It was great while it lasted.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 12:29:44 PM »
HotRod is still in print? The publisher extended my CarCraft subscription and ended HotRod and StreetRodder...bastages
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »
HotRod is still in print? The publisher extended my CarCraft subscription and ended HotRod and StreetRodder...bastages

Interesting, they informed me that Car Craft was no more but I'm still receiving Hot Rod.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »
August issue  I started reading this article with in minutes of taking it out of the mail box----then BOOM The LSR Challenge

HOT ROD has joined the Kool Aid Crowd
 "---- nature is gradually reducing the usable running surface at Bonneville to the ---" Nature my   :dhorse:

why has no one called them on this---this false information and and has just undone most of all our efforts for the past year  we must win the public support on this issue or we will never have along course in my racing life time---lots and lots of us are just moving on because the expectation of a hard level course is pretty nill--YMMV
Though the editors and those in the know (Freiberger) at the magazine should have commented, you do have to understand that this was written by a contributing writer/aerodynamicist and not by a staff writer. One would hope he had researched more but perhaps he had only heard of the depletion and not the real causes as his interest here is the cars, not the site. But I agree, was disappointing.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »

Interesting, they informed me that Car Craft was no more but I'm still receiving Hot Rod.
Correct you are..I got it bass-ackwards....Now I wonder where my HotRod is?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline salt27

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 05:44:09 PM »

Correct you are..I got it bass-ackwards....Now I wonder where my HotRod is?

Well dang, there goes my conspiracy theory.    :x

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »
Well I did my part;

enthusiastnetwork.com/submissions

Wrote ask them asking them to correct the harm the false information caused to the years long efforts of SAVE THE SALT collation by having an article about the efforts to have the salt restored!

Or at the very least a correction!!

long on hope short on expections
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline aircap

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:56 AM »
Read it yesterday, and was dismayed by the same LIE the OP noticed. HOT ROD needs to read stuff first, and edit it before publishing. A "correction" in the next issue is never good enough.

I have no comment about the rest of the article, except to add that some of the stuff has been tried if I remember correctly. Science and theory is all well and good, but until you commit your racer to the salt of North American Zoomland for some real world testing - it's just talk.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »
The proposed design for a salt streamliner is just some ones dream. The whole premise of the design is not practical, suction boundary layer control is something that has been worked on for years and it does work but no body has come up with a method to do it that is practical and this is from organizations that have infinite dollars! (US Air Force). Dual drive wheels I think Athol Graham had dualies on his liner back in the 60 and the thought of building the car light so it can accelerate fast shows a reall lack of what it takes to with stand a 400+ mph crash, just ask Bob Dalton. His car was built strong with probably little consideration for light weight and he walked away from a 425 + run with just a bruise on his forehead!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.