Author Topic: Traction control question  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Hemi Joel

• New folks
Traction control question
« on: August 15, 2020, 05:36:35 PM »
I have heard that some salt cars use traction control. What is the control applied to? Timing retard, throttle blades, Brakes? Thanks,

Joel

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Traction control question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:28:41 PM »
Joel - It depends on a lot of factors and the sophistication of the electronics used 8-). Having said that, the  easiest and most common approach is to vary the slew rate of engine acceleration (ie: RPM/sec) vs. the ignition timing :wink:. The amount of retarding the timing of course varies with the tune up and the application. Perhaps overly simplified, but that is the gist of the control methodology. Another and the most generally applied is to manually vary the throttle position. Some drivers have the knack and some don't. Others depend on more complex electronic controls. As in most things, applications, opinions and results vary. :deal :roll:
Regards,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
some seem to have the knack of riding the brakes from time to time
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 02:18:12 PM »
Our traction control method is use a small enough engine that it is hard to spin the tires.... if you do.... push the shift button... so far we only worry about first gear breaking loose.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »
Our traction control method is use a small enough engine that it is hard to spin the tires.... if you do.... push the shift button... so far we only worry about first gear breaking loose.
What's a shift button....  :-P :-P lol8 muutt
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 02:35:09 PM »
Jack, I thought you knew we are too lazy to use a lever or stick to change gears... that job is relegated to the left thumb... although the parachute release is right above it... if you can screw it up.... we have  :naughty
Stainless

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 07:39:29 AM »
Like Formula One steering wheels Bockscar is too complex for me - you have to know which thumb is on the left, without sufficient time to think it through  :-D.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 08:54:43 AM »
Like Formula One steering wheels Bockscar is too complex for me - you have to know which thumb is on the left, without sufficient time to think it through  :-D.
When I was 7 or 8 I ran under a fence sledding and pinched the little finger on my right hand. Lost nail and about half hanging down at right angle. Parents both being doctors it was no biggie but off the an ER to get it fixed. I still sometimes have to look at that finger to to figure out which way to turn (was flying one time and ATC said make a right turn, I forgot to check finger and turned the wrong way).  lol8

Chute and shifter adjacent, sounds like recipe for an aborted run.  :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:50:38 AM »
On our honeymoon my wife and I were on a learn to cruise class with another couple  A Dr and his nurse she was great but he was weird  extreme dyslexia he could steer ok during the day by was horrible at night---I got to watching him he kept looking at his hands on the helm.  later on moved around so I could see his hands better there was a scar on his left thumb joint that was a perfect L it was raised he had to have made it heal that way.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »
I suspect I can "reach" my chute faster than most... after 200 I prefer to keep my hands on the wheel... but yep almost everyone has "Larry'd" the chute one time or another driving the car... sometimes it just takes a big enough bump... data showed I short shifted on purpose one run from first, but also short shifted to 4th... something I knew was caused by a little bump in the road.  :?
I hover near the chute button as soon as the car hits 5th and cheer for the 5 to show up :cheers:

OK back to traction control...
Stainless