Author Topic: Average horsepower needed to reach 200mph at Bonneville with a full size truck?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline RichFox

I would say get or build one of those 1000 hp engines and put it in your truck. Yhen all you have to do is bring it on out and you should get some answers.

Offline aircap

Well, Norris Anderson went 219 in a 1949 Studebaker R-series pickup. Contact him....
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
1000 whp should do it   IF  1>100 things fall in line

Remember to tell the eng builder that its for B'ville and it will be pulling it guts out for way over 2 minutes  I suggest finding one who will listen and had built off shore boat engs!

A drag race eng it is not
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 01:31:30 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tman

Older topic but I can say 500HP will not get you over 150ish

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Ask the Chock Full o' Nuts guys.  They've been racing a full-size pickup for years in lots of classes.  No doubt they've got a solid bunch of data. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Online calculator worth everything you will pay for it:
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculate%20HP%20For%20Speed.php

depending on estimated Cd and frontal area, ~1300HP.

Offline Koncretekid

You have lots of good estimates here.  I use what I call the "rule of cubes" to predict horsepower to speed. So if your 500 hp truck will actually go 160mph, and you want 200 mph which is 1.25 times 160, then my estimate for the same truck, i.e. no changes in Cd, would be 1.25x1.25x1.25=1.95 times that hp or 977 hp.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
It looks like the site is stale, but here's the 527 truck running in D/PP.  I know Jim has had a few records over 200, and I do think we howdied at SpeedWeek last year so he/they are still active.

http://nutsracing.com/
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
I would say get or build one of those 1000 hp engines and put it in your truck. Then all you have to do is bring it on out and you should get some answers.

This is my guess at the best answer.... as well... Horsepower doesn't mean anything until you have a speed to compare it to.  There may be trucks out there that will require 800, others that require 1200, only the big white dyno will give you the absolute answer... unless the salt is rough, or wet or dry or.....  :x  :?
Hopefully Maicojoe didn't abandon us because he didn't the the answer he was looking for :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Closer to the cube of the speed change. Twice as fast needs 8 X the power

CP ahead of CG?
Add ballast

Offline TheBaron

Here is how to determine the HP needed for 200mph for any specific vehicle on any specific track...

Determine the HP needed to go 100 mph by going at a steady 100 mph on fairly level ground (two way runs and average the number to cancel out wind effect and ground unevenness))

All that is needed is the "Absolute Manifold Pressure " and rpm.

Go to a chassis dyno (steady-state type) and duplicate that power level, then multiply by 8,,,,,,,DONE!

Examples:  If a motorcycle takes 60 hp to go 100 mph. Then 8 X 60 equals 480 hp to go 200 mph

If a pickup truck requires 150 hp to go 100 mph then 200 mph would require 8 X 150 = 1200 hp.

Have fun but be safe,

Robert "Smitty" Smith

Red Baron LSR